where to buy good pots?
Jul 19, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Would an "Alps Blue Dual 100k Volume Control Pot" work nicely?

META42 schematic has 10K pot in it. But the pot is used as a voltage divider, so 100K should work just as well (/me doesn't know for sure; however, since opamp terminals draw near 0 current, I think it shouldn't matter).

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 11
I get mine from a guy across town. He carries a pager and I just give him a ring and we meet in an empty church paking lot half way...

Oh, wait... What they said.

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 11
A 100K pot will work just fine. The META42 article goes into some of the pros/cons of choosing this value. I used 10K on the schematic arbitrarily.

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

If I use a 100K pot, R2 will have to be 1M, right?

Of course.

Jul 19, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 11
The pot is a variable voltage divider in parallel with R2. Think about what this means in terms of the parallel resistor equation and the fact that the section from wiper to ground on the pot is varying as you turn the volume knob.

Whether this results in a sonic difference is a different question. All it means is that the input impedance of the amp is rather wildly variable in your current configuration. Your source may take this quietly in stride, or it may be causing stress to your source that might make it sound bad.

The farther apart the values of R2 and the pot are, the less input impedance variance you get.

Jul 19, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Hi, please recommend good quality pots and where they sell them. Thanks.

THL Audio sells Alps Blue for $10, but you have to be (very) patient if you buy from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back