Where to buy bare, solid 28,30 or even 32awg wires?
Nov 21, 2008 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lil' Knight

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking some some bare, uninsulated, solid core wires. It should be really small, about 28,30 or 32awg. Copper or silver plated doesn't matter as long as it's conductive and I can buy in big quantity (>50ft) and cheap. I've done some search but only get some teflon insulated which I don't prefer.
Please let me know if you happen to see these stuffs elsewhere.

Thanks

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 9
I think the best you'll do is enamelled magnet wire, which you can get for pennies. Michael percy sells cardas magnet wire for bout $7 / 100ft.
However, the enamel is usually made of something like polyester resin, which has a higher dielectric than pvc.

You could also get jupiter wire in cotton for about a dollar per foot.. you can remove the cotton of course.

Silver wire is easy to find uninsulated since it doesn't oxidize as readily as copper does. Michael percy carries 30g uninsulated for $0.75 per feet.

I'd be careful though... Copper oxidizes very easily especially in high humidity, and silver will still react with sulfur in the air and will tarnish.

I really don't see any benefit of a super thin uninsulated wire. =/

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 9
Bare silver wires can be obtained from jewelery making supplier. I know they do carry brass as well but not sure about pure copper. I'm not sure if it would be cheap, the last time I checked some silver wires are cheaper than audio sources, but they have lower purity.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 9
I have a bunch of enameled 41ga magnet wire
very_evil_smiley.gif

PM me if you would like a rod-length.

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wire, glue, what are you building?

lol
just some crappy cable. The glue problem has been solved
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a bunch of enameled 41ga magnet wire
very_evil_smiley.gif

PM me if you would like a rod-length.

and of course, ygpm
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Get a stranded copper wire like mogami, and just pull off the jacket. You get about 50 strands of copper just from the shielding, and more strands of copper at the conductor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back