Where is the true home (birthplace) of rock and roll?
Apr 12, 2009 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
Memphis claims to be the home of rock and roll with Sun recordings. Cleveland owns the Rock and Roll HOF. Detroit has had a huge impact in building rock and roll history. How do you leave the British legends out of this discussion.

Where do you credit the home of rock and roll?

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 20
I think that it is extremely difficult to pinpoint, as with any cultural movement. I don't think that you can find a "patient zero" as you can with epidemics or some movements. (and sometimes even when you can, things are inexplicably invented/discovered simultaneously. Most of calculus was developed by Newton and another mathematician simultaneously even though they had no knowledge of eachother.)

Rock evolved slowly and took on more form as time went on, and you can't forget the fact that all of the places you mentioned were becoming more interconnected by the second in the 50s and 60s with highways, TV, better phone service etc, so people were more easily reached by things they hadn't seen/heard before. The most I can narrow it down would be to say simply that the closely intertwined cultures of the US and the UK "own" the development of rock.

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 20
england
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually, I think it's impossible to say for sure. Which was first might be easier, but I can't help you there...
It's pretty plain to see which place killed rock and roll forever, though

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 20
Said places (note: Plural), is a good hint; It evolved from many places, influances and pioneering preformers.
Rock and roll was not invented. It evolved from its roots of rythem and blues, gospel, jazz country etc. The term was invented by Allan Freed with the greatest influence being the appearance of the electric guitar. The commercial success of Chuck Berry comes to mind. Where was he "From"... Or, was it where he recorded Johnny B. Goode ?

Written by Berry in 1955, the song is a rock and roll version of the American dream — a poor country boy becomes a star by hard work and inspired guitar playing. This image of unknowns with no future achieving fame and fortune through music became a paradigm for countless songs and even careers to follow.

The opening guitar riff on "Johnny B. Goode" may be the most famous single riff in rock and roll history. It is essentially a note-for-note copy of the opening single-note solo on Louis Jordan's "Ain't That Just Like a Woman" (1946), played by guitarist Carl Hogan.

And yes, I'm old and lucky enough to have seen Chuck Berry perform it live, doing his trademark single leg goose step across the stage era 1973...

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 20
Rock n Roll came from what you do in the back seat of a car, and the upbeat music you listen to while doing it became known as Rock n Roll. Rocking in the backseat of the car,while the car is Rolling. You can imagine what "they" were doing.
wink.gif

The music started with Folk, then Blues made from American Slaves using only the black keys of the piano, which gave it its flavor, then some people wanting to make blues more happy and fancy, which made jazz.
Rock somehow came from all this, as well as R&B, Soul, and every other modern Pop incarnation.
I think Punk originated in England, but the beginnings of Rock n Roll are American.
I think without American slaves obtaining guitars and pianos and creating blues from folk music, we may never have our rock music today, or it would have at least been delayed, after all it was black people using black keys on the piano that gives it its funky flavor.
I think without that history, we would still be listening to only Classical, Folk, and similar music.
I would give the birthplace of Rock n Roll to the Southern USA.

Apr 12, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 20
Does it really matter? Get lost in tracing the roots back and listening to the evolution. There's a huge amount of underappreciated great music on the road to rock.

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 20
I'm fairly sure that Rock 'n Roll was given birth in multitudes of Juke Joints, mostly in Dixie.

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Said places (note: Plural), is a good hint; It evolved from many places, influances and pioneering preformers.
Rock and roll was not invented. It evolved from its roots of rythem and blues, gospel, jazz country etc. The term was invented by Allan Freed with the greatest influence being the appearance of the electric guitar. The commercial success of Chuck Berry comes to mind. Where was he "From"... Or, was it where he recorded Johnny B. Goode ?

Written by Berry in 1955, the song is a rock and roll version of the American dream — a poor country boy becomes a star by hard work and inspired guitar playing. This image of unknowns with no future achieving fame and fortune through music became a paradigm for countless songs and even careers to follow.

The opening guitar riff on "Johnny B. Goode" may be the most famous single riff in rock and roll history. It is essentially a note-for-note copy of the opening single-note solo on Louis Jordan's "Ain't That Just Like a Woman" (1946), played by guitarist Carl Hogan.

And yes, I'm old and lucky enough to have seen Chuck Berry perform it live, doing his trademark single leg goose step across the stage era 1973...

Well Chuck was from St. Louis. I don't think I'd give credit to there (I'm from St. Louis).

I only brought up the question for discussion. I don't have a real desire to define the actual birthplace. My choice would be Memphis because of the stars coming from the area at the time.

Quoted from Wiki:

Sun Records is a record label founded in Memphis, Tennessee, starting operations on March 27, 1952. Founded by Sam Phillips, Sun Records was known for giving notable musicians such as Elvis Presley (whose recording contract was sold to RCA Victor Records for $35,000 in 1955 to relieve financial difficulties they were going through), Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, and Johnny Cash their first recording contracts and helping to launch their careers. Before those days Sun Records had mainly been noted for recording African-American artists, as Phillips loved Rhythm and Blues and wanted to get black music recorded for a white audience. It was Sun record producer and engineer, Jack Clement, who discovered and recorded Jerry Lee Lewis, while owner Sam Phillips was away on a trip to Florida. The original Sun Records logo was designed by John Gale Parker, Jr., a resident of Memphis and high school classmate of Phillips.

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 20
Apr 15, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The opening guitar riff on "Johnny B. Goode" may be the most famous single riff in rock and roll history.

It's a good thing cousin Marvin got with Marty McFly that night in Hill Valley, otherwise rock and roll may never have come about.

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where do you credit the home of rock and roll?

Stoke-On-Trent.

I thought everyone knew that!

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 20
The distinction being, "The Commercial claimed birthplace" which then marketed the artist to the masses by recording and promotion vs. the evolution of the genere and from where it came from, at the least is fuller disclosure.

Though, post #9 by Happy Camper, certainly makes a strong argument for Sun Records (with their R&B Black artist early signings), of Memphis, Tennessee... Recording 'That Sound", performed by more "then", socially acceptable white artist.

Remember the times, burmuda shorts on girls was thought of as being disgraceful, and racy(suggestive of sexual impropriety) by the near Victorian contemporary mores.

Great topic question for discussion Happy Camper
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back