Where is the little country love?
Oct 12, 2009 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mr C

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I've been considering buying a little country amp for a few days, found one at a nice price (250€).
But I can barely find any info on it.
I'd be interested to know if the PSU made to go with it is a must have or if the amp can be used without it.
I'm planning to use it with a hd580 so i'd like to know if this is a good combo (I'll prolly do some tube rolling at some point but that'll be after December's payday.)

Anyway here is a link to a cute little amp:
Tube Headphone Amp - Little Country III Tube Headphone Amplifier / Pre Amp - Tube Preamp - 6922 tube preamp

So if you guys have any comment on it or suggestions (also considering getting a dac amp for the 580)

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 5
I have never heard that amplifier nor read a lot (if anything) about the LC III. You seem to have a nice budget though. My suggestion is that you search for a used amplifier here in the F/S forums and to do more research into some more popular amps. You can get some incredible deals there that you will never find when buying new!

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 5
I was looking at the LDmk3 too, love the look of tubes sticking out.
The reason why I'm looking at this amp is the bargain price and the general appearance of the thing.
The rare threads you can find around here says it sounds pretty good, just not how good.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 5
Mr.C I just got a LC3 yesterday. You HAVE to get the power supply, as the amp section alone does not have an means of converting AC to DC. I bought mine used from a Head-fi member I've been researching and wanting one of these for about 9 months now, Finally came across a good well taken care of one with extras. I listened to it for about 2.5hrs last night and it's DEAD silent. Believe what that audiophile review say's about the noise floor. I used mine with my AKG K701's (used my Proline 750's for about 10mins) And It's really amazing how much more detail there is to be heard with a good tube amp and good headphones. Im running the LC3 in low gain mode with the 701's and the volume pot (in shunt mode) at about the 1 oclock position. I switch to high gain mode just to see and WHOA...it's got plenty of power to drive the 701's I also love the By pass RCA on the back. I have my audio from my PS3 (60gig SACD player) going to the LC3 and if I dont want to listen to the audio (when I game) the by-pass RCA's allow me to pass the audio onto my desk top gaming speakers. with OUT having to turn the amp on. Overall first impressions are pretty darned good. Im sure with different tubes and op-amps you can get what ever sound you like out of this Amp. I'm going to wait awhile before I start swapping OP-amps and tubes and just enjoy this little country ride Im on with this amp.
k701smile.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 5
I spent another couple of hours with the LC3 last night. Trying different headphones. Different media CD/SACD and MP3. I find the amp to be pretty neutral, but will reveal a bad source pretty quickly. I listen to my AKG 701's Ultrasone Proline 750 and my old Senn HD-280's. No problem driving any of them, I will say the amp seems to tame some of the boomy-ness i always got with my Hd-280's (so much so I stop using them and gave the things to my daughter) For the first time ever the HD-280's did not sound boomy. But smooth and rich. The 701's are just pure bliss with strings instruments and female vocals (Norah Jones, or Corrine Bailey Rae) I'm very happy with the LC3 right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back