Where is my "bottelneck"
Apr 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Chris Haigh

New Head-Fier
Hello, I know very little about sound quality really, but more than your average person off the street. I have been through a couple of what I call MP3 players and various headphones and earphones. I started off with a cell phone and some crappy nokia earphones, thinking "wow I love listening to music anywhere"(I was very young). then one day my battery was flat or somthing, and I borrowed my dad's CD player, old valve amplifier and Grados (rs125s I think). Since then I have been on an impossible quest to have high quality sound, for almost no money, in my pocket. After reading great reviews on Sandisk's products I decided to buy the cheapest one in the range(Sansa Express), I would have gone for a better one, but this was all the money I had, and I had been saving up for about 6 months. Then my dad flew to England and brought back some sennheiser ear phones. I loved this set up for a while and all my Rich friends' i-pods sounded far worse to me (of course they didn't know about bit rate or the quality(or lack of) of apple's ear phones). One holiday I got a job and earned enough money to ask my dad to bring back a creative ZEN 4gb from his next trip to England, He brought back the 16gb :). Sorry, I've written far to much of a story here. Anyway, My current set up is a creative ZEN MX, And a pair of sennheiser CX-300 IIs, and occasionally sennheiser HD-201s. is the Zen or my earphones limiting my sound quality? I listen to very fast paced old metal. (metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, megadeth,black sabbath) My biggest problem is that often (especially in slayer) the "notes" are almost mashed together and I loose the ability to define individual strums, rather than a sort of barrage of noise that goes up and down. My dad always says use classical music to test equipment, but something can sound okay on classical music and then not cope with the fast pace of metal, This my feeling, is it true? while I do enjoy classical my priority is metal 100%. Unfortunately my Vocabulary of the audio world is pretty poor, so I find it difficult to explain the problem. Anyway my question is which should I upgrade first my MP3 player or my Earphones? and what do I upgrade to I have a budget of around 90 pounds but could wait longer if there is something nice in the upper echelons. Thanks if you bothered to read all of this, Chris.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 11
I also have an irrational hatred of anything apple, stupid I know, but your time will be wasted if you recommend and i-pod, as I will never buy one.

It's understandable to an extent, but you should consider it depending on how far you go with this hobby (and depending on how much music you want on your at once).

Anyway. I think it's your headphones. A headphone upgrade will make a much bigger difference (IMO) than a source upgrade. Make sure your files are at least 320 MP3, and upgrade your headphones. If you listen to mainly metal I'd try a set of Grados.

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 11
Hi, Thanks for replying. My life is a hell of a mess, so I am rarely in one country for that long, and often loose access to my larger possessions (PC) So I would love something with loads of space. Are there any other players that use HDDs instead of flash? or maybe some with loads of flash? Does spinning a HDD kill the battery life?

While I understand the amazing quality for price of grados, I am often on planes and I like to listen to my music without people being able to hear. Bit much if the guy next to me has listen to the entire Iron Maiden Discography on his flight to South Africa. So I either need in ear earphones or well Insulated(or is it isolated?) headphones.

Any recommendations for:

High Capacity player (preferably not i-pod, but maybe)
better ear/head phones with noise isolation (preferably earphones)

I don't really want a headphone amp to carry around. It's more to loose/get stolen. I like having as little as possible to loose.

Thanks again,
Chris.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi, Thanks for replying. My life is a hell of a mess, so I am rarely in one country for that long, and often loose access to my larger possessions (PC) So I would love something with loads of space. Are there any other players that use HDDs instead of flash? or maybe some with loads of flash? Does spinning a HDD kill the battery life?

While I understand the amazing quality for price of grados, I am often on planes and I like to listen to my music without people being able to hear. Bit much if the guy next to me has listen to the entire Iron Maiden Discography on his flight to South Africa. So I either need in ear earphones or well Insulated(or is it isolated?) headphones.

Any recommendations for:

High Capacity player (preferably not i-pod, but maybe)
better ear/head phones with noise isolation (preferably earphones)

I don't really want a headphone amp to carry around. It's more to loose/get stolen. I like having as little as possible to loose.

Thanks again,
Chris.

I really liked my Zune 120 when I owned one. Much more so than an iPod Classic. The problem is finding one lately though. They aren't making them anymore.

You don't have too many options for high capacity players, sadly. Closed cans that can be powered from a HP out and are good for metal...I'm not sure what to recommend here honestly.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 11
Efficient closed back cans?
Sonys, I suppose.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 11
I'm trying my Creative Aurvana Live with Toxicity, and it's handling the fast pace quite well. Cenfonix has them for $53.

Otherwise I'd suggest the KSC-75 for $13 from Amazon. It's not closed and might not be a clear upgrade in sound quality from HD201, but it will serve as a good comparison and be much more portable. Also, it's probably the best value ever of headphones.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 11
Apr 21, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 11
I would say denon d1000 for a closed can with low impedance. And they will scale well with upgraded source. Good luck in the never ending chase. :wink:

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 11
Chris, will confirm to you the tracking number when I have it. Will get posted on Tuesday.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 11
The "bottleneck" is located directly below the opening where the beer comes out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back