where is jan's thread?
Mar 28, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 59
That's quite interesting, it was a good read too... why was it removed from head-fi? Nothing in the content seemed inappropriate... I hope it is just a forum glitch...

Mar 28, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 59
Not a forum glitch, but in deference to sponsors who pay for forum space in which to discuss their business, it had to be removed. Hope y'all understand....

Mar 28, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 59
I understand. The idealistic side of me is upset because Jan should have the same posting rights as anyone else, but the pragmatic side understands that this forum needs sponsors, which entitles them to some specific privileges. So yeah, unfortunate but necessary removal.

At the same time Meier Audio appears as a sponsor on the main page... now I am confused.

Mar 28, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 59
Wow... I'm sorry, but that's pretty terrible. I'm not sure how to address the problem, but surely a policy that prevents a top-notch hobbyist from communicating his thoughts without payment on a hobbyists' forum is less than optimal.

Jan's post is of general interest to the community. This makes me very glad that Headwize forums, old-fashioned uncommercial entity that it is, still exist.

I for one will be pointing on Head-Fi to all of Jan's articles that I find on Headwize or elsewhere, since I have no affiliation with his company.

Or is that now disallowed, too?

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 59
Hm...*methinks*

Head-Fi = community.
Head-Fi = members essentially, much like slashdot.org or ****edcompany.com. Slashdot.org was sold for over a million dollars to a few individuals.....

Head-Fi = community --> supports sponsors like Headroom, Meir-Audio

Jan = part of Head-fi since its' roots and is therefore part of its' community. Why again do we need sponsors?
frown.gif
vBulletin uses php, only stresses the database so much.....even then a server would only cost a couple thousand or so...plus or minius hosting.

Hm.......but then again, this is just me. I probably have this all wrong (as usual)
wink.gif
Oh, well. I guess we'll just move on......

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 59
A couple thousand + hosting = more than we can expect from Jude. That's a lot of money and he's already run this forum straight from his pocket for months (and still takes a hit now despite the sponsors)... unless we want to start paying small amounts of money for membership, sponsors it is!

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 59
Why not just create a room for jan/meier-audio the same way we did with headroom? Doesn't meier-audio pay for sponsership or am i missing something?

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 59
Hm....maybe we could have some donations? Or maybe an experiment via paypal?

Lots of websites are doing this nowdays, especially online comics such as Penny Arcade and Real Life Comics. Hell, even Slash dot is now charging its' members.

I guess in the end........we'll just have to strike a balance between what we can have, and what we end up having....

In the end though, this is a free, extremely helpful, resourceful forum that brings in a lot of people...hm....seems nice.

Thanks Jude.

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 59
Well, I'm sure Jan's glad he paid for a sponsorship in exchange for his posts being arbitarily deleted. For all the talk about an informative and honest community, when it came down to brass tacks, all that talk got tossed out the window. Jan's post was more informative than commercial, and a hell of a lot better written than Tyll's rants, not considering that English isn't even Jan's native language.

If a post like Jan's is subject to deletion, what's next? What if someone posts a bad review of a sponsored product? Of course, everyone is going to say that won't ever happen. But if informative, non-troll posts are subject to censorship, then the powers-that-be betters spell out exactly what the ground rules are, otherwise paranoia will poison the atmosphere of the forum.

I don't mind if a site "sells out." Heck, we all need to make a living. At least be honest and up-front about it, though. A better option would've been to lock the thread with a post from a moderator explaining why the post was against the rules. And the best option would've been to just left the damn post alone.

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 59
OK here's the deal.
Headroom pays for both a top page advert AND a forum.
Jan pays for a top page advert.

If Jan removes the commercial plugs/references to his biz, then no prob for the post, but to allow ( and I agree, it's a bummer, but equitable) a commercial enterprise to post and discuss their business (basically free advertizing) is not fair to those who are paying for the privilege. (Headroom) BTW, have you noticed that even though Headroom pays for their forum, they regularly take a drubbing from the community there? There are good and bad aspects to all of this, but it's the best that can be done at this time. This site is still probably costing Jude quite a bit of money out of his pocket every month for you and I to have the opportunity to jaw. Pretty awesome I say. Willing to buy a subscription to fund the operation? Many would, many wouldn't, many could, many couldn't. No matter how you slice it, this is the best way to go for now, unless we can get Bill Gates to pay for floating the boat.

Mar 28, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by mikewang What if someone posts a bad review of a sponsored product?

That's why I"m so glad there are people like Jude (who take the time) and meticulously, slowly, and carefully talk about audio in (their opinions). Any positive or negative review on a product that's sold by Head-Fi's sponsors who definitely have an effect on it's retail sales.

One of the reasons why I"m so glad the reviews are posted as a thread in a forum where later people can ask questions concerning the product putting it down or raising it up.

Mar 28, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 59
Seems like a very noble and good goal, but it would definitely have to be experimented around with to see if it's even feasible. Some sites have succeeded though......Arstechnica. *cough*

But then again.....if we eliminated outside sponsorship, things could get pretty ugly since the headphone/headphone amp market is only so big....and there's a big gathering of potential buyers in here....I don't know.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back