Where does the MG Head OTL go?
Jun 12, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 45
Depends if you prefer even, neutral sounds or lush, tubey ones.

The impedance of headphones used is also a factor.

That said, since I use the high impedance Sennheiser HD-600 and love the sound of tubes, I'd put the MG Head OTL above the Little and probably on par with the Cosmic. This assumes the MG Head OTL has been equipped with proper tubes, of course.

Jun 12, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 45
I prefer the cleaner sound of SS, especially with HD600's. I think the Little really takes control of the 600's, and the Cosmic kicks.

Very limited exposure to tubes and the MG, but tubes don't seem to really grab the tranducers and say "this is what you're going to do". SS seems to do that and I personally like it.

Check both at the WoHT show.

Personally, I didn't like the MG at the Orlando stop. It just didn't seen to be in control of the 'phones.

Besides, an MG is an old British car, known primarily for an electrical system that worked on alternate third Tuesdays. I hope Joe's amps are more reliable.

Jun 12, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 45
hmmm, thanks for your input guys!

Anyone else? I will be checking both out soon. Did you hear the upgraded little, by any chance? The one with the premium module?

Jun 13, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 45
You have to decide for yourself, because it's made by a completely different company.

I haven't heard any of the above, so I have no idea. Sorry.

Jun 13, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 45
but I don't want to make decisions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Judging by your avatar, you already have.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
smily_headphones1.gif

In that case, ignore ALL my posts. I sure as hell don't want to make decisions for you. Even ignore this one.

Jun 13, 2002 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT

Judging by your avatar, you already have.
biggrin.gif

lol, I was just showing my current system. I just borrowed a little loaner. Hmmm, now if I got an MG Head, I'd have to make a new avatar. . .

wink.gif

10 more days till the headroom tour. . . 9 till I become a road menace.

Jun 13, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
could you elaborate on that?

I don't get asked to do THAT very often.
smily_headphones1.gif

But ok, you asked.

I don't believe solid states are inheritly "cleaner" than tube based equipment. I can't help but feel that this is another perpetuated myth. It's reminiscent of people saying that CDs sound perfect or that an mp3 sounds just like a CD or that all interconnects sound the same. *innocent look*

Alright so my point is this--solid state amps have distortions. Tube amps have distortions. People smarter than me can tell you how they tend to differ and why. People even dumber than me can hear the distortions from both types of technologies.

In lower end tube amps, I tend to hear murky muddy sound that is sluggish, rolled off and blurred. In higher end tube amps, this stereotype tends to betray itself. Let me assure you that if Kelly were wealthy, Kelly would have a high end tube amp. I'm not saying no solid state could ever be as good as the best tube amps, but I sure haven't heard them yet.

In lower end solid state amps, I tend to hear thin, harsh sound that is grating, biting and hazy. In higher end solid state amps, this stereotype tends to betray itself. Let me assure you that while Kelly would be happy if the best tube amps were somewhat affordable that the distance between them and good solid state amps is narrowing all the time and that really really good solid state amps can be had for a lot less money than the really good tube amps. So for me, it's a cost issue.

My advice is to try to get past the stereotypes. I've heard solid state amps that were too smooth and rolled off. I've heard tube amps that were harsh and grainy. --and yes, even in the limited number of headphone amps there are, these stereotypes break down.

The reason for my post was that it's disturbing to me that the overwhelming belief amongst fellow HeadFiers seems to be that a clean transparent sound can only be achieved by solid state amps when I myself have heard really expensive tube amps come close to that and seen very many amps of both varieties fall far short of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back