Where do you download DAC driver and get a user manual for X5
Dec 17, 2014 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

gstepic

Head-Fier
I cannot find any link on the Fiio site for a DAC driver, which I need to do on my laptop in order for the DAC to work. When I do a search I get links but I am hesitant to use the links as there are many driver phony sites that will load up my computer with malware. There is so little information available to figure out how to use the player.

When connected to my usb port on the laptop I see an icon for a windows media player when going to my computer but it is not recognized when I click on it (my laptop is windows 8.1). Am I correct in assuming the way I load music into the X5 is to connect the little micro card reader that the player came with, in other words I load my music on the card and then insert the card in the player. Very awkward if this is what I have to do every time I want to add music.

I am really interested in taking advantage of the DAC feature. I have been using a Dragonfly which improves the sound quality but the music often "skips" for a lack of a better term to describe the problem, so I am going to return it.

I do have firmware version 2.3 if this matters. I will try and do some searches on loading playlists. I saw some instructions for foobar but I use media monkey.

I really appreciate any help as there is no contact phone number for Fiio.

Gary

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 20
  I cannot find any link on the Fiio site for a DAC driver, which I need to do on my laptop in order for the DAC to work. When I do a search I get links but I am hesitant to use the links as there are many driver phony sites that will load up my computer with malware. There is so little information available to figure out how to use the player.

When connected to my usb port on the laptop I see an icon for a windows media player when going to my computer but it is not recognized when I click on it (my laptop is windows 8.1). Am I correct in assuming the way I load music into the X5 is to connect the little micro card reader that the player came with, in other words I load my music on the card and then insert the card in the player. Very awkward if this is what I have to do every time I want to add music.

I am really interested in taking advantage of the DAC feature. I have been using a Dragonfly which improves the sound quality but the music often "skips" for a lack of a better term to describe the problem, so I am going to return it.

I do have firmware version 2.3 if this matters. I will try and do some searches on loading playlists. I saw some instructions for foobar but I use media monkey.

I really appreciate any help as there is no contact phone number for Fiio.

Gary

FiiO X5 Drivers, manual and firmware updates.
http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/19

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 20
Thanks for the link. It seems like an easy way to have a playlist is using the folder system. With Media Monkey I can select my playlist and copy my music files to a playlist folder I have created, easier than I expected.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 20
Hello gstepic,

You asked for a DAC driver but you appear to be trying to copy music files to the X5. For that you just need to set the X5 to Storage mode (System Settings->USB mode: storage, should be already in this mode by default) and connect the X5 to the computer with your mSD card slotted inside the X5--the X5 will mount to the computer as a standard USB storage device and both SD card slots will be accessible.

The main links to the X5 firmware, DAC driver and user manual are to the right of the page PurpleAngel linked to, scroll down a bit and you'll see the "Download" section ("Here you can download the latest updating firmware, complete user manual and other useful information and tools to keep the product in the best working state.")

It's actually a little out of the way, I've been meaning to ask the website guys to make this section more prominent :xf_eek:

If you do want to use the X5 as a DAC (that is, a sound device for your computer rather than just copying files to the X5), you will need to either install signed drivers or disable driver signature verification for your Win8.1 machine. The official X5 DAC drivers are unsigned :xf_eek: Instructures for disabling driver signature verification are here:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/disabling-driver-signature-on-windows-8/disabling-signed-driver-enforcement-on-windows-8

On the other hand, there are unofficial drivers for the X5 that are signed :xf_eek:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwlomcfis5ulo4s/FiiO_unofficial_signed_USB_Driver.zip?dl=0

It's not official, but the download link is safe (no fake download buttons here :wink: )

Smoking out the real download button from the fake ones on download sites is a way of life these days though... :xf_eek:

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 18, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 20
I have no idea what the significance is of the driver being a signature driver or not. I have a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 that I use for much of my music listening. I have been using a Dragonfly but when using this device the music skips, which is annoying even though the sound is improved.

I want to use the X5 as both a listening device and as a DAC when I use my laptop.  I have been pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to get music into the X5 using Media Monkey and how easy it is to load my playlist using the folder system. What I have done is created a playlist folder, in that folder I have created folders for my various playlists that I have already created in Media Monkey. In Media Monkey I can select all the music files in a playlist and then send to the corresponding folder I have created. I have the option to copy or move the files. I can also create m3u playlists but the folder method is pretty easy and the way the files are ordered works well for me, even though I have seen others complain about it. To me it shuffles my songs to my liking.

Very often I will use media monkey on my laptop to listen to music or use my Zune/Xbox pass, and this is when I would use the X5 as a DAC. Please let me know if the consequences of using a signature or non signature driver.

I have one other question I am embarrassed to ask. What does the gain feature do? I can select high or low gain and I have no idea how this impacts the music.

If you are a representative of Fiio I congratulate you on a very nice product. I am not sure if it will sound even better as it gets broken in, but it really does improve the listening experience. I just purchased a set of PSB Mau1 headphones, which also needs some break in time, and it appears to be a very good match with the X5.

Again, thanks for the link and I will thank you in advance if you could tell me which driver would be best and what the gain feature does. - Gary

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 20
  I can't find the link. I have looked at their website and I can only find firmware updates, no links for a DAC driver or even a user manual.

Gary

Manual and drivers (and firmware) is in the lower right hand side of the screen, red lettering, just under the word "Download".
http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/19

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 20
I must be read dense because I cannot find the proper link on the Fiio webpage. I see where there are five different colored squares and one of them below is a link for firmware and downloads. When I click on this it appears there are only links for firmware updates. When I clicked on the X5 2.2 link, which seems to be the most current one, it takes me to other pages where I cannot find any links.

I found some information on what the gain setting is. I use two headsets - the PSB MAU 1 and Bose QC25s, I think I just need to experiment with the high and low setting to see which will sound better.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 20
Hello gstepic,

Yes, I am one of the FiiO representatives here, and I thank you on behalf of FiiO for your compliments :)

Here's direct links for getting the latest X5 firmware
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ffli2dlp84ryig/X5%20FW2.36Beta.zip?dl=0

And the signed DAC driver
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwlomcfis5ulo4s/FiiO_unofficial_signed_USB_Driver.zip?dl=0

I would recommend that you use this signed driver. It would save you a lot of trouble when installing and should work just as well as the official driver.

Unfortunately I have a nagging suspicion that the audio may skip on your computer using the X5 as DAC as well, since the skipping with your other DAC points to a possible problem with your computer system. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised though :)

If the audio does also skip with the X5 as DAC, I do have some possible troubleshooting suggestions for you, but some of these suggestions can be quite complicated to implement :eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 20
I really appreciate your support and I am slowly but surely figuring things out. My wife broker her arm the other day so I have been trying to comprehend these posts but have not been doing a good job since my posts are in between visits to the hospital (I am always in a hurry and she will be fine).

If it does not work well as a DAC then I can live with this because am really beginning to love the X5. I use my computer to mainly explore music choices using my Xbox subscription. I will use your suggestion to try and load music with the X5 attached to the computer using the usb connection. Once I decide I want to buy the music then I can use the X5 for serious listening. If it does skip then I would like to explore ways to fix the problem because it is still very convenient to use my laptop and media monkey software. On a side note, music seems to sound different with different software, and I would think this should not be true. When using my Zune software music seems to sound a little better than when using media monkey to listen. Media Monkey is far superior for organizing music. 

And as far as the gain feature I think I just need to experiment with my headphones. With my PSB MAU1 headphones it seems like there is some distortion using the high gain setting, but it could be the recording. The PSB MAU1 headphones are fairly efficient and if I am not mistaken, and please correct me if I am wrong, the high gain setting would be better for headphones that really need amplification.

I will try the links, hopefully there was a user manual in the link, a little later. Again, thank you so much for your help and thank your employer for me for making such a nice music player at a reasonable price.

Gary

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 20
I really appreciate your support and I am slowly but surely figuring things out. My wife broker her arm the other day so I have been trying to comprehend these posts but have not been doing a good job since my posts are in between visits to the hospital (I am always in a hurry and she will be fine).

Ouch. Hope she makes a speedy and complete recovery.

I will try the links, hopefully there was a user manual in the link, a little later. Again, thank you so much for your help and thank your employer for me for making such a nice music player at a reasonable price.

Gary

The user manual would be here :xf_eek: (again, direct link for your benefit)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/503i787fowg7l2c/X5%20User%20Manual%202.3.pdf?dl=0

I'll be sure to pass on your compliments :)

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 20
Very frustrating, downloaded the program and everything seemed to be going well and I end up getting a message - error, driver failed to install. I had the X5 connected so not sure if there are settings I need to change on the device or on my windows 8.1 64 bit laptop.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 20
Very frustrating, downloaded the program and everything seemed to be going well and I end up getting a message - error, driver failed to install. I had the X5 connected so not sure if there are settings I need to change on the device or on my windows 8.1 64 bit laptop.

Did you have the X5 in DAC mode before installing the driver? Unplug the X5, go to System Settings (big cog icon)->USB mode, click OK (middle button) on it to change it to DAC, plug in the X5 again. Then run the DAC driver setup again.

Best regards,
Joe

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #14 of 20
yes, I went to the gear, then usb setting and it is set to DAC and not storage. Are there other settings I may need to change, like the lock settings. I am not sure what they do, I know one time when trying to lower volume and I could not, then after playing around with settings I discovered the volume was somehow locked even though I never used the lock setting and previous times I had no trouble changing volume.

Should I uninstall the problem before trying to reinstall? It does show up as one of my programs now. If I am not mistaken when the driver is working correctly I should set a DAC connected message when the X5 is connected with usb cord and I assume this would be the same place where I see storage or dac on the usb setting, or does the main screen show the message dac connected?

I copied the message I am getting -

------------------------------------------------------------
Preparation.
Preparing installation.
This may take some time to complete. Please wait ...

Installation.
Adding uninstallation support ...
Create folder: C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver
Create folder: C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver
Created uninstaller: C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\uninstall.exe
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\setup.ini
Output folder: C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudio.inf
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioks.inf
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudio_x64.sys
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioks_x64.sys
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudio.cat
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioks.cat
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioapi.dll
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioasio.dll
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioasio_x64.dll
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioapi.dll
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\custom.ini
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioCplApp.xml
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioSpy.exe
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioDfu.exe
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioDfu.xml
Copy to C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioCplApp.exe
Execute: regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioapi.dll"
Execute: regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioasio.dll"
Execute: regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioasio_x64.dll"
Create shortcut: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\FiiO Control Panel.lnk
Create shortcut: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\FiiO Audio Spy.lnk
Create shortcut: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\FiiO Control Panel.lnk
Preinstalling drivers.
This may take some time to complete. Please wait ...

ERROR: Pre-installation of 'C:\Program Files\FiiO\USBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioks.inf' failed.
Please run setup again!

==============================
Installation failed.
==============================

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 20
yes, I went to the gear, then usb setting and it is set to DAC and not storage. Are there other settings I may need to change, like the lock settings. I am not sure what they do, I know one time when trying to lower volume and I could not, then after playing around with settings I discovered the volume was somehow locked even though I never used the lock setting and previous times I had no trouble changing volume.

Should I uninstall the problem before trying to reinstall? It does show up as one of my programs now. If I am not mistaken when the driver is working correctly I should set a DAC connected message when the X5 is connected with usb cord and I assume this would be the same place where I see storage or dac on the usb setting, or does the main screen show the message dac connected?

Hello gstepic,

Upon examining the drivers, it would appear that both the official and unofficial drivers require disabling signed driver enforcement on windows 8 :xf_eek:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/disabling-driver-signature-on-windows-8/disabling-signed-driver-enforcement-on-windows-8

It's a bit of a headache to walk through, I hope you can get it working :xf_eek:
Things used to be much simpler on Windows 7 :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back