Where do you buy your CDs at?
Jul 23, 2008 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

V3lier

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on saving up so I can buy a couple of albums..and was wondering where you guys buy your albums? A local store or online? Seems Amazon is pretty good.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 31
Amazon is decent for used CDs, but you've gotta watch the shipping.

YourMusic.com is great if you can deal with the monthly format.

I am on the mailing list at my local Borders Books and I get 30% and 40% discount coupons by email.

Also there are some decent trading sites like LaLa.com and SwapTree.com where you can recycle your less favorite CDs for different titles.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 31
I always check the local used cd shops before getting anything online, especially for releases where there are multiple remasterings. Saves a lot of headache when you don't have to email every single seller of an album to see if its the release you're after :p

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 31
Amazon gets a whole lot better once you spring for membership in "Prime". You basically pay a flat rate of $80 for 2nd day shipping on most products sold by Amazon directly, for one full year. Then you never have to worry about shipping charges added to your bill. It wont be counted towards used CDs from independent vendors, though. I find that quite often it is cheaper to buy new CDs w/ free shipping than used CDs and $2.98 shipping per disc. The shipping is very fast, and you can opt to ship products "as they become available", meaning they dont hold 3 of your items until the 4th is finally ready to ship 3 days later, for instance. I dont know if Amazon U.K. and the like offer any such program.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon gets a whole lot better once you spring for membership in "Prime". You basically pay a flat rate of $80 for 2nd day shipping on most products sold by Amazon directly, for one full year. Then you never have to worry about shipping charges added to your bill. It wont be counted towards used CDs from independent vendors, though. I find that quite often it is cheaper to buy new CDs w/ free shipping than used CDs and $2.98 shipping per disc. The shipping is very fast, and you can opt to ship products "as they become available", meaning they dont hold 3 of your items until the 4th is finally ready to ship 3 days later, for instance. I dont know if Amazon U.K. and the like offer any such program.

I was going to mention this. I've been using this for a couple of years now and I'm hooked. The only thing is, they just changed it so that I now have to pay applicable taxes. This might sound like whining, but I had gotten so used to seeing $9.99 and paying only $9.99 that the tax is a major annoyance and definitely decreases the likelihood of spontaneous purchases. Especially on albums priced over $12.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 31
If in person, I hate to say it, but Best Buy. I used to go to Borders, but they now allocate about half the floor space. At least Best Buy carries some inventory and typically, they're cheap on new releases.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 31
i like to browse the for sale forum here... ive gotten some good deals on used music and i dont get gouged on shipping

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 31
I purchase approximately 65% of my CD's (and most of my DVD/Blu-Ray Discs) from "CD Universe." Customer Service, Website Organization, Wish List, and "Shopping Cart Procedures" are first rate and very convenient at CD Universe. Very easy to change orders, combine orders, add to orders, delete portions of orders right up to the point of shipment. They frequently beat Amazon on prices, but their shipping is too expensive. I purchase approximately 20% of my CD's from Amazon. Often times shipping is free. I occasionally find a rare, out-of-print new or used CD at Amazon. I get about 10% of my CD's from "Insound." They're great for indie purchases and interesting sales promos. I have found their Customer Service people to be quite helpful and cooperative. I get the remaining 5% or so of my CD's from "Borders," "Barnes & Noble," and other brick and mortar stores locally. PS. I buy lots of CD's

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 31
On line CDUniverse.com, Tower.com, Arkiv.com,

Arkiv is the best site for Classical (Selection, but high prices)
Tower.com look for the sales.
CD Universe best overall prices.

Occasionally Amazon.com

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 31
When it comes to post-metal, experimental, electronic stuff, I generally order directly from the band's website. It's generally pretty cheap there (Isis sells all of their studio albums for $10 each).

Other places I go are Amazon and occasionally eBay for out-of-print stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back