Where do you buy your CDs at?
Jul 23, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #16 of 31
As much as I like the convenience of online shopping, I like to check local record stores first if possible. I like browsing thru records in person and sample songs instantly. As sad as it is, record stores are closing down like old antique stores. I'd hate to see the day there'll be no physical record stores around anymore.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #17 of 31
I like to go to Rasputan Records here in fresno ca. they have a decent selection. there are a few other cd shops in town and I really want to check em out. most of my purchases however are on amazon.com. I usually spend just a bit over 25 for the free shipping or buy the CDs ultra cheap on the market place but shipping can sometimes add up that way. from my hundreds of purchases through amazon I have only had a problem about 4 times. each got resolved well. all in all amazon is pretty awesome.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #19 of 31
There pretty much are no record stores here anymore, as sales are deflected more and more away from brick and mortar stores to online powerhouses. I buy nearly everything from CDON.COM. Their prices fluctuate quite a bit, so I almost always get CDs I want for between 5.95-8.95€ (which is extremely cheap, considering the going price in stores here is about 23.90€). They also have a very nice shipping policy: a flat rate of 2.95€ regardless of order size.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. As sad as it is, record stores are closing down like old antique stores. I'd hate to see the day there'll be no physical record stores around anymore.

YEah to me this hits a real touchy note, I understand it's business and times change but to think my Future Kids will not have any independent local stores just makes me sad, it's like they are going to miss out on one of the best reasons on getting new music..the trip to the small, dirty, shop that makes buying an occasion..

recstar and even Todd the Vinyl Junkie know about a store that has been very close to my ears and my heart here in Chicago. The store is on the Northside and it's called "Rolling Stone Records". when you walk in the entire ceiling is covered in cd's with tons of them just free floating on fish string. rite when you walk in you get this feeling that this place is just about one thing...music.

I live about a 30 min drive from there but i can't go more then two weeks without making my trip up there. sometimes i walk in for nothing and walk out with 10 cds, sometimes i walk in for a bunch and walk out with only a few but the drive back home just gives me time to sample what i bought...
and the prices are so amazing there, $4 cd's to $12 cd's but most are $9.
they don't have a gigantic selection but they will do a fast order for you with a better price then any online shop can do, esp for big box sets!

I have taken lot's of people up there and introduced them to the store, i always tell them on the way that they will never have a music buying experience like buying from Rolling Stones! and every person that walks out afterwards always agrees...

You just don't get that going to a big box liek CC or bestbuy, nor can you get it from any dot com..

All the small locals shops by me closed up long ago, the only places close to me are used Record stores that only sell records (in which i will NEVER complain about!) but i remember growing up and going to somany small stores and picking up cd's two or three days before they are released and feeling cool cause i got it before anyone else...haha

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #21 of 31
I use yourmusic.com and Amazon almost exclusively, though I plan to try CDUniverse soon. I used to use Tower.com, but since Tower went bankrupt and sold their online business, the service has been abysmal. I won't be using them again.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #22 of 31
Yesasia mostly for me.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shipping is very fast, and you can opt to ship products "as they become available", meaning they dont hold 3 of your items until the 4th is finally ready to ship 3 days later, for instance.
I dont know if Amazon U.K. and the like offer any such program.

Yes it does. But we get free one-day shipping for Prime members, which is even better, especially if you're impatient...

So long as I order something before 6pm, I can have it the next morning!

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #24 of 31
Amazon, yourmusic.com, and a local store in Hoboken where I work. I occasionally venture to J&R as well.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #25 of 31
I usually buy from my local cd store. He's often not more expensive than online and even if he were I'd still buy there. We always have a nice chat about new albums or whatever. It's a small shop but if I want something he doesn't have in stock within 2 days it's there.
I'd rather keep a small shop alive than putting money in online businesses which kills the smaller ones.
Actually buying something and walking out the store with a bag full of goodies is more fun than drewling over the mailbox each time anyways.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesasia mostly for me.

I used to shop there a lot too, but now I find their inventory horrendous. It's hard to find anything except for the most recent pop CDs. Even CDs released five years ago are "temporary out of stock," not to mention CDs released in the 90s or 80s.
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #27 of 31
I work in the record store that probably has the largest selection in Canada and get a good discount, so I mostly buy there and order stuff I want, but for the more obscure stuff I go online (eBay, label sites, etc - never Amazon or places like that) or used record stores (the latter also being good for vinyl).

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #29 of 31
I used to buy all my CD's from the brick & mortar Newbury Comics. Now that I've moved out of New England, I use amazon more often. Princeton Record Exchange is good for used CD's though if you're patient in sorting through their nonsorted stashes.

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually buy from my local cd store. He's often not more expensive than online and even if he were I'd still buy there. We always have a nice chat about new albums or whatever. It's a small shop but if I want something he doesn't have in stock within 2 days it's there.
I'd rather keep a small shop alive than putting money in online businesses which kills the smaller ones.
Actually buying something and walking out the store with a bag full of goodies is more fun than drewling over the mailbox each time anyways.

I felt that same way about a small local CD shop called "X, Y, Zed" for years. They finally went belly-up. I don't feel that same kind of loyalty to the big box chain stores...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back