Where do I learn how to do this stuff...?
Jun 30, 2002 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JJDyn0mite

100+ Head-Fier
I would love to try some of these DIY projects, but quite frankly they seem way over my head. I read through the META42 website and it looks cool, but a lot of the terminology and concepts evade me. My question is where can I learn how all this works. I'm sure you all had to start somewhere, any suggestions (i.e. books, websites, etc...)?

Also, could someone make a list of tools that would be needed for most of the basic projects like soldering iron, electric monitors, etc... and the best types of these devices.

I really think I would enjoy putting some of this stuff together because I like to do things with my hands (future surgeon), but I'm a little intimidated and can't figure out where to start.

Thanks for any help.

JJ

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 8
No books really needed to solder thing. If it doesn't work the first time, you can always post questions here.

I would strongly suggest the Cmoy amp as a first DIY project because of it's simplicity.

As long as your not afraid to get burnt finger now and then, you should be fine. Also get a cheap soldering iron and lead try some soldering for a start.

Jayel

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi JJ

Most information you get is by osmosis. Simply reading through the thread here and at HeadWize, asking a lot of questions, trying things that may or may not work, asking more questions, trying more things....you get the picture. As far as initial tools and supplies:
  1. Soldering iron (25 - 35w should do fine)
  2. Soldering iron stand
  3. Solder
  4. Desoldering braid (get a lot of this stuff)
  5. Small pliers and diagonals (wire cutters)
  6. Small bent nose pliers
  7. "Helping Hands" (these are two alligator clips mounted on a stand with a magnifying glass, it will hold your project while you hold the iron and solder)
  8. Hook up wire (22 gauge is what I use, solid or stranded is a matter of preference)
  9. Small jeweler's screwdrivers
  10. Drill and bits (for drilling the cases)
  11. Patience and perserverance
    smily_headphones1.gif

Then you need to decide on a project and get the components. Resistors, capacitors, pots, switches, etc. Most if the stuff that I listed above can be purchased at Radio Shack, plan on spending anywhere from $50.00 on up. I am sure I forgot some things off of the list, but it will get you started.

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, especially for the DIY starter kit list JMT. My birthday is coming up, so I may have some stuff to ask for now. I'll do some more reading and decide whether I'm up to the task or not.

Thanks again.

JJ

Jul 1, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I read through the META42 website and it looks cool, but a lot of the terminology and concepts evade me.

Don't worry about it. I didn't try for simplicity when writing that article. I tried to explain all the options the board made available, which is great if you know what you're doing already, but if not, I can see how you might be left with your head spinning.

You can do two things about that:

1) Dive in and just populate the board with default components. This gets you a working amp which you don't understand.

2) Start with a CMoy amp, using my other tutorial. Play with it. Fiddle with the component values. Read past posts here. Make mistakes and learn how to fix them. Once you've spent a month or so fiddling with a CMoy, you will be in a much better position to understand what's going on in the META42.

Quote:

could someone make a list of tools that would be needed for most of the basic projects like soldering iron

Here's the article I wrote on the subject:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/new-diyer.html

Pay attention to the soldering iron. jarthel's right in that you shouldn't buy a super-expensive setup when getting started, but do try to get good quality stuff, or you'll be terminally frustrated by your equipment. Then when something goes wrong with the circuit, you'll already be frustrated, and so unable to troubleshoot effectively. Tip: Radio Shack does not sell good soldering irons. There was a recent thread in this forum on this -- do a search over the past week or two.

Jul 1, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 8
Tangent,
Thanks for the links and encouragement... I didn't realize you had so much useful information on your website, guess I should have looked there a little harder before posting, but thanks for taking the time to let me know about it. Much of that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again to everyone who replied to help, looks like I need to start getting my toolbox wishlist together..

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back