Where do I go from here?
Oct 21, 2008 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

themanbeast

100+ Head-Fier
In my short stay here at headfi, ive amassed quite the stable of headphones in my search for the right sound for me. heres what Ihave right now:

source: zero (on the way, just passed customs)
amp: darkvoice 336i (on the way, should be here tomorrow/next day)

headphones:

Audio Technica AD700
Beyer DT-880
AKG K240S
Grado SR80 (on the way)

I'm wondering where I should turn next. I am definitely in love with my 880s, and havent even hooked them up to the darkvoice yet
beyersmile.png
but im still furiously searching for that one headphone that will just absolutely blow me away.

Ive been considering:

Senn HD600/650
Denon D2000/D5000

would either of these cans be drastically different than what I've heard? or, is there another route I should try? I need suggestions before my brain explodes. It's already too late for my wallet, it was pronounced dead about a month ago. :p

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 9
I also think a Senn should be around to triangulate off of. Hunt down a HD580 or 600. Different enough sounding from 880. Course you can always buy an intro, vintage stats system.
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 9
I like my Senn HD 650s but recabled is a must. Absolute blow away for me was when i got my Victor/JVC DX-1000s. They are hooked now to my xcan(tube hybrid) w/ xternal power supply(xpsu), can't wait till my new amp gets here but it sounds like it will be a long wait, just sent the check to preorder-four month wait.

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 9
ENJOY YOUR MUSIC. In only a few months you have spent an ungodly amount on headphones and why, so you can listen your favorite music. Spend some money on some new cd's or lp's and maybe go to some concerts.

Hopefully you are buying at least an album every two weeks if you are spending that much on headphones.

You can have the nicest frame in the world but it means nothing without a very dear picture with which to frame.

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ENJOY YOUR MUSIC. In only a few months you have spent an ungodly amount on headphones and why, so you can listen your favorite music. Spend some money on some new cd's or lp's and maybe go to some concerts.

Hopefully you are buying at least an album every two weeks if you are spending that much on headphones.

You can have the nicest frame in the world but it means nothing without a very dear picture with which to frame.

Oh, I'm with you on that
smily_headphones1.gif
I've got quite the cd collection already, before I discovered headfi. I generally buy 3-4 a month right now. This purchase I'm thinking about headphone wise is a little ways out, im just trying to see which way I should go.

I'm seeing more than a couple people say the 580/600/650s are worth a shot, which ones do you think would be a better contrast to what I have heard? Also, what about the 595? I used to own a pair of those, but this was before I even knew headphone amps existed. They sounded nice just out of my sound card, but now that I have a good amp would it be worth revisiting?

I'm also thinking I might save up and get one of the big hitters like ed9, or an L3000 or R10 if I can find one.

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 9
I think you should wait until you get your new source and amp as they should give you a better idea what your headphones are capable of. I'm of the mind that it is best to shoot for top tier right off the bat, but the fact that you have one headphone from most of the major manufacturers should allow you to get a taste of what you like. If you end up preferring the AT's, sell them all and get an AD2000. If you like the K240S, consider selling the lot for a modded K340 or keep the K240S and pick up a K501. If Grado's are your thing, sell the rest and get an old RS-1. If you still prefer the DT880's you have less options for advancement, though you could consider trying the DT990's or the DT48's.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 9
My Grado SR-80 just arrived. Right now I'm listening to some zeppelin.

I'll be honest, I thought the DT-880 were amazing for rock. In retrospect they arent half bad, but these SR-80 completely dominate it in that genre. Considering thats 95% of what I listen to, I think we have a winner
smily_headphones1.gif

so, from there, I think I have found my niche. The DT-880 are sticking around to retry following the retrieval of my darkvoice and ZERO from the USPS office tomorrow, and then after that for gaming purposes, but I have found my musical can.

So, down the line, which grado would I really want to go for the most? Whats the big differences? I'll be saving up a decent amount, so rs-2/rs-1/gs-1000 would all be in the price range when I go to buy. What should I go for?

Oh, and I find the grados comfortable. that was my BIGGEST concern with trying out a pair of grados.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 9
Like I said, an old pair of RS-1s. I have a pair that I've been toying with selling... but every time I do, they suck me back in. The AKG K340 is without a doubt my favourite headphone, but these Grado's have such a unique presentation and do some things *very* well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back