Where do I go from here?
Jul 2, 2008 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ronnielee54

Headphoneus Supremus
I am on the hunt for something new. Listen mostly to blues (75%) and classic rock (25%). I use a Headamp AE2 connected by a LOD to a 80gig Ipod Classic most of the time. These new cans might also see a little use on my vinyl rig. I do not use my computer as a source.
Just give you an idea of where I have been so far:

KCS35 - backup portables - keeper
PX100's - portables - keeper
ES7's - used these at work and loved them but when I traded for MS1's, I liked them so much, I couldn't justify keeping the ES7's so I traded them for HD595's
MS1's - work cans - keeper
HD595's - use these for late night tv watching - keeper
HD580's - these were modded with 600 grilles and 650 cable. I don't think I ever had them properly amped and I just could never appreciate them the way so many others seem to. After trading for SR325i's, I couldn't justify keeping them so out they went
SR325i's - use these for vinyl rig - keeper
HFI780's - even though these sounded a little better than the 595's, the comfort of the 595's made up for the slight difference in SQ, so traded them fo SR80's and cash
SR80's - Couldn't beat the MS1's, but never intended to keep them anyway so they are gone

Well that it what I have tried so far. Am looking to spend 200 to 300 (less is better). Probably not all that concerned about portability either. Right now I am considering D2000's, ESW9's, or maybe even an AD900. Any suggestions. More than likely will be buying used.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 4
Blues and classic rock? And you already like the Grado sound?

Methinks you are ready for the RS-1. They're outside your budget, but I think they're worth selling other gear for. If you used them to replace the SR-325 and sold those, you'd be darn close to a used RS-1.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm going to second Uncle Erik on this one. The RS-1's are simply spectacular with both Blues and Classic Rock. The bottom end, to me, deepens and becomes more present in the RS-1's, leaving a more warm presentation, but still lacking nothing of the beautiful Grado guitar reproduction. Plus, air is plentiful, and Classic Rock albums, in all their stereophonic bliss, need a can with a good sense of space.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 4
Man, you guys don't know how much I hate the thought of selling the 325i's. Traded a used Nikon lens that I was given and 40 bucks for them. Could never get that sweet of a deal again. Was planning on RS1's farther down the line when I could buy them outright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back