Where did the bass go? (DT-770)
Mar 15, 2007 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bonesinc

100+ Head-Fier
I've owned my beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (80 Ohm) for almost 5 months now.
The bass on these cans was exactly what I was looking for. For me, it was very involving. I also own a pair of DT-990 Pro (250 Ohm) which I like. I guess you could say that I'm a beyer-fan.
Now having said all this, the DT-990's never had more bass then the DT-770's. Up untill a few weeks ago that is. I started noticing that I was using my DT-990's more and more. Now I know why! My DT-770's are nowhere sounding like they did in the first three months. It's not that the bass is completely gone, it's just soo much less then I was used to and currently the DT-990's seem to have more bass then my DT-770's. Both can's are burned in while listening to music and the occasional overnight burn-in sessions. So they both have run over 100 hours.

I'm using the cans with my X-Can V3 with 6N1P-EB's. I have the X-Can V3 since a couple of weeks so I guess the burn-in process is still going on. Therefore I was blaming the lack of bass of my DT-770 on my fairly new X-Can.
But...it's all the same whenever I plug in my phones into another amp, receiver or dac. The DT-990's have more bass then the DT-770's, regardles of the source of amplification. For me this is really weird.

Can anyone shed a light of the possible (maybe obvious) reason why I'm experiencing this and maybe what I can do about it? I had read a few posts about people who were a bit disappointed with the bass of their new DT-770's and I never understood that. Mind you, mine were fine in the beginning but now they sound dull, uninvolving and harsh. The 990's don't.

Thank you for reading,
Matthieu

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 3
It will be interesting to see where this thread leads. At this point, I think it has something to do with the 990's bass being "superior" in a lot of ways to the 770's. I had a listen to the 990 Pro the other day, and liked it enough that I'm thinking about picking up a pair. If only I were still allowed to listen with open headphones at home
frown.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will be interesting to see where this thread leads. At this point, I think it has something to do with the 990's bass being "superior" in a lot of ways to the 770's.

Well, I'm not talking about the quality of the bass but the DT-770 definately had more bass then the DT-990 ever had. Since the lack of bass I'm not able to tell whether one or the other is of a better quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back