Where Can You Buy Records For A Dime?
Sep 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
There were some great times about 15 years ago. The CD had taken over and the trend was to take all your old records and give them to the Goodwill or trade them in for store credit to buy CDs. If you knew where the fishing holes were you could score big. There was a hunting feeling, there was a killing feeling.

I have all the 9 cent records I could find. What I'm saying is that I do not need anymore. At the time and even now record collectors will never tell. These places were like gold mines. You would hear someone tell part of a story with a laugh.
Stories about records in a time capsule for years. "The store owner does not know what there worth!" "They are all perfect." "No one has been there for years." Half was true half was not. There were stories of car following, there were lost friendships over records.

It will be 2010 soon. All you older folks lets help the youth of today have some fun. Disclose your secrets and I will tell mine. The tricks of the 10 cent record. The tricks to having a record collection of a lifetime for the price of one mono Beatles box set.
DSCF0154.jpg

In life everything is one big circle, like a record and what goes around comes around. So lets share our skills. Post a trick to finding good records. Heck it's about time.

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 22
It is out there!

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 22
Post an add in the paper to purchase record collections. Come by pick what you want. Make em 10 cents each. You will be surprised at what you get!

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 22
DSCF0161.jpg

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 22
The last great deal on records was the collection of a young man who died in an accident. His Sister and Mom were selling his pristine vinyl at a yard sale for 50 cents each.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 22
Word for the day, YARD SALE.

Yep, what you have to do is go early. If you do not see any ask. So many people forget to put out those stupid old records out.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 22
Ask how much for the whole box. If you buy them one by one they cost the same as the whole box. Then when your home you have new stuff that you would not pick out on your own. These strange records you may not like but keep them anyways as you may be into that music in 10 years.

An owner of a record store once asked me if I wanted to buy these 21 U-Haul boxs taking up space on the floor. I purchased the whole lot for $35.00 usd. They had been owned by a New York Disco DJ in the late 70s early 80s. The store owner liked jazz. He hated Disco!

Maybe a lot of people hate Disco now. Those records are one of the best parts of my collection.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's two words.

lol

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Word for the day, YARD SALE.

Yep, what you have to do is go early. If you do not see any ask. So many people forget to put out those stupid old records out.

I have to second that one. Once I found even even had a box of vinyl labeled "free". So of course I took a few.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 22
There's a junk store - a real junk store - a few towns over from me. I made friends with the proprietor (heck, the guy is so nice it'd be hard not to) a couple of years ago and he lets me pay what I want for the records he finds. I give at least a $20 no matter how little I take, but there have been some tasty finds there. He also gets old furniture and books at great deals, too.

Oh yeah, there are two cheap hole-in-the-wall Mexican places in the neghborhood with great food and my favorite "undiscovered" bar is across the street. $3.50 Sierra Nevadas, nice regulars, free popcorn, historic building, and cats wandering around. What's not to like?

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a junk store - a real junk store - a few towns over from me. I made friends with the proprietor (heck, the guy is so nice it'd be hard not to) a couple of years ago and he lets me pay what I want for the records he finds. I give at least a $20 no matter how little I take, but there have been some tasty finds there. He also gets old furniture and books at great deals, too.
a
Oh yeah, there are two cheap hole-in-the-wall Mexican places in the neghborhood with great food and my favorite "undiscovered" bar is across the street. $3.50 Sierra Nevadas, nice regulars, free popcorn, historic building, and cats wandering around. What's not to like?

Do you have the name and address of these places? That is what this thread is about. Showing younger people who may have become disenchanted a new way to collect quality records.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 22
My guess is that there is going to be another vinyl renaissance in about ten years once the baby boomers start dying off in earnest. I imagine there are many millions of pieces of vinyl from their childhood locked away right now because they have plenty money and no need to rummage in the attic to find stuff to put on eBay. Their spouses and children won't really care about these items since they weren't personal in the strictest sense, so they will be dumping them at yard sales, etc.

Side note, occasionally it can be profitable to go to Goodwill and thrift stores in my area, but in general its nothing but badly scratched classical and Christmas records.

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 22
Boomer Vinyl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back