Where can I test out the HD280's, and a few other questions...
Nov 24, 2008 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

D-Sev

New Head-Fier
Hey all, first time poster here.

I've been using Sennheiser HD202's for a few years now, and I think it's time for an upgrade. I'm particularly interested in the HD280's because of their looks, isolation, and I have some brand loyalty I guess. But I have a few questions before I plunk down a hundred bucks on them...

1) Is there any chain store that carries them? I'd really like to try them first hand. My ears kind of stick out a bit, so I don't know if they would be comfortable. And of course I want to hear if they are a big enough upgrade, worthy of 100 bucks.

2) How would the bass response compare to my HD202's? I don't need head thumping bass, but I have heard the HD280's are somewhat lacking.

3) I read in the FAQ that an amp isn't necessarily recommended with them. Then I read in a topic I found through search that an amp would greatly increase the bass response. So what's the deal, and would one of those do-it-yourself amps be sufficient (I'd like to learn a bit about electronics, so I figure that would be a good start).

4) I like the coiled design of the cable because USUALLY I am at my desk listening and a longer cable gets in the way (my three meter cable on my HD202's is annoying as crap). However sometimes I am farther away from my computer, so the longer cable comes in handy. Is there a significant loss in sound quality when using cable extensions?

For the record, I listen to mostly rock (instrumental, progressive, light, hard, classic, etc) and metal (nothing too hardcore though), and I intend to use them for gaming sometimes too. Most of my music is at 320 kbps.

I think that's it for now. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back