Where can I get "serious" toroidal in Canada?
Jul 12, 2006 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for some 100-200+ VA toroidal, can't seem to find them at digikey and if I buy them from the states, shipping will be a real PITA. I was wondering what's the best place to get reasonably priced toroidal, preferrably Canada. thanks

Jul 12, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 11
I believe Plitron is in Canada, and they are one of the larger sources of Toroidal transformers that I am aware of.

Jul 13, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 11
Also in Toronto:
http://www.sumr.com/

I've bought a few transformers from Richard and they are of good quality.

Jul 13, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 11
I'd think that to be the exception. Plitron makes very nice quality toroids. Things do happen, though. I hope if it was a case of a defect that Plitron would make good on it.

Jul 13, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 11
From my understanding, buzzing in toroids is usually due to the presence of DC on the AC input. There are several threads on DIYAudio on how to remove any DC from your AC line, which lowers the stress on any transformer, but especially toroids.

I've never had an issue with Plitron transformers. I'm pretty sure Peter Daniels (the guy who builds his own variant of the Gainclone that's gotten rave reviews on 6moons and some other review sites) uses Plitron exclusively.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 11
Yes, try Plitron. I have several from them and they're excellent. Avel Lindberg also makes great toroids, and they ship directly. Contact them and I'm sure they'll help you out.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 11
Victoria Magnetics.

However, toroidals have really one main benefit over EI -- they are smaller for the same power rating. It's true that their EMI is lower, but they are high bandpass whereas an EI filters out much of the hash from the mains.

The best is R-core as you see in some Japanese equipment; it has virtually zero EMI (definitely lower than a toroidal).

I'm sticking with EI. Adding EMI shileding is trivial, and I use separate power supply chassis anyway. If I had more money, I'd consider R-core; toroidals... it's a fad (and saves on steel due to smaller core).

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Warranty? LOL, it's a transformer. I've a 50 year old tube radio and the transformer works fine, as does my 40 year old X-ray machine transformer. If a transformer goes bad, I think it won't wait many years.

Bryston is a pro-audio manufacturer. Size is definitely an issue, and I'm not surprised they use toroids. I wouldn't expect them to use R-core due to availability issues in North America.

R-core is not rare, it's just rare in Western nations; it's fairly common in Japan etc. One more advantage I forgot to mention before is its efficiency, it's more efficient than a toroidal, not to mention EI.

BTW, I often wind my own EI secondaries, though I'd never consider doing it for a toroidal, it's next to impossible to DIY any reasonable number of turns. R-core however is the easiest to wind of all, you simply spin the bobbins, since the core cross-section is round, whereas toroidal and EI all have rectangular core cross-sections.

If you're set on toroidals, I'd still recommend Victoria Magnetics. It's also Canadian like Plitron, I've seen good prices from them, and their workmanship is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back