where can I audition IEMs in Seattle area? online stores?
Sep 8, 2009 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

meatwad

Head-Fier
I am trying to help my dad buy some IEMs for his portable music pleasure. However I do not have any IEMs of my own, and he would like to try some before he plunks down on a pair. I'm having him get some decent ones so he can **** about his crappo Bose noise cancelling lol... I'm recommending the Ety ER6i or ER4P if he's willing to pay for 'em.

Are there any stores in the greater Seattle area where I could audition IEMs - specifically the Etymotics, possibly Denon or Sennheiser IEMs?

And I know that might be too specific a question to get a good answer so, alternatively,

What online retailers have a generous return policy, so that if he gets a pair and decides he hates them, he could return? Headroom?

TIA!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 6
I don't know of any store be it a chain (Best Buy..etc) or audiophile store (Definitive Audio/Magnolia Hi-fi) that lets you audition IEMs'. Cans yes, but IEMs' no - most likely due to health related reasons. If you think about it, it's pretty gross.

I suggest you take the time and read through the reviews and learn from others who already sank their hard earn money and providing feeback on them.

Most online stores don't have generous refund/return policies. You'll most likely lose out on any shipping and may have to a 10-20% restocking fee. Amazon use to be good with returns, but now you're dealing with third party vendors. I might as well play doubles advocate, and as a retailer, I would avoid dealing with IEM returns due to reasons I already described.

Good luck.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaphoenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cans yes, but IEMs' no - most likely due to health related reasons. If you think about it, it's pretty gross.

yeah, I know, and I agree it is gross; that's why I need 'elp. I know this could be impossible and a futile question if everyone has the same policy. Realistically, I think he could just get the headphones and they'd be comfortable. I haven't used the Ety myself, of any flavor, but they come with extra tips and you can probably just buy more comfortable replacements later on.

worth a try tho :p

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 6
If you bring your own selection of tips, maybe. Even then, maybe not.

I know some IEM boxes are sealed with stickers and whatnot. I don't think a store would be willing to break any products that have seals. On the other hand, I've also seen a number of headphone boxes that aren't sealed in anyway.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 6
First, do you know you old man's preference? IEM or earbuds? What music does he listen to and what's the source (iPod, portable cd player), if music files what's the compression rate, will a portable amp be used? All these factors and more will contribute on one's taste. On top of all that, there's a lot of creativity people do here to change the default sound signature.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you bring your own selection of tips, maybe. Even then, maybe not.

I was thinking that too.

Either way, my opinion is that they will be comfortable with some flavor of tips. Heck, some of the tips are practically the same as ear plugs, so if those don't bother your ears, neither should IEMs with the foam tip..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back