When your mechanic screwed up.
Oct 4, 2002 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
The car window on the driver side of my car fell off its clips today. So I brought it in to where i got this window installed and see if they can fix it for me really quick. So i went in and told them about this and then they walked to my car and tried to put it back in its place. When he was pushing on the glass, the glass cracked and then broke into pieces.

Who should be responsible for this? Who should be paying for the replacement window?

I told them that they should pay for it but they said it wasn't their fault and there was nothing they could've done to prevent that. Now I am stuck with a $90.00 bill just because they messed up. I just had this window replaced only two months ago because some crack head decided to break into my car for the pennies in my change dish. I am mad but there is nothing I can do. What should I do? I only have a piece of plastic to cover it up right now because they can't get the window until monday.

Oct 5, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Seems like it's obviously their fault. Especially since they're the ones who replaced the window in the first place. Unless you have a car that is prone to windows falling off the track, it would seem that having it fall off only 2 months after this place fixed it, means they did something wrong.

Is the repair shop a chain or a privately owned shop? If it's a chain, I'd be writing letters, e-mailing, and phoning head office about it.

If it's privately owned, I'd be back there pronto making a scene. If that didn't work, I'd be out in front of their store with a big sign.

You shouldn't let them get away with this if at all posssible.

But it's your decision.

Oct 5, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 7
pepsione
In your shoes, I think I would appeal to whatever managment necessary to have the repair done.

I once had a Toyota MR2 -- older model. Mid-engine, rear wheel drive. A mechanic took a look at it--popped the front trunk, looked inside, scratched his head a bit, then popped the rear trunk, looked inside and found himself perplexed and embarassed. This mechanic turned out to be a con artist. The police were called before the vehicle was returned to me. He still owned a wrecker but the garage he claimed employment with had been boarded up. As the MR2 was my only vehicle, I had to have a friend drive by the business, where the phone had been disconected, to learn this. With much detective work and borrowed rides from people, the vehicle was finally discovered parked at someone's house where he was, allegedly, going to have someone do the repair work. Since I'd given the car over to the mechanic willingly and had recovered it, I was informed that there were no charges I could file against him. There is no moral to my story. It's just a story.

Oct 5, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 7
If the window had fallen out while you were tooling around town, they should pay for it. They installed it and apparently did something wrong. They should replace it. If the window had fallen out at a different, shop, they're still the ones that broke it, and they should replace it. It seems damn obvious that they should replace it if they're the original installer and the guys who broke it.

Ask for the general manager or something and you might be able to get it replaced. I'd probably be an ass about it and make them pay for it to be replaced at a different shop. But if it's only $90 it might not be worth getting too upset about.

kerely

Oct 5, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 7
The reason most repair shops charge so much for their work is to cover things like this. It [size=small]IS[/size] their fault. They obviously did not install the window correctly, then while trying to install the window incorrectly again they broke it.

I once talked to a glass shop about installing a windshield myself. One of the selling points of letting them do it was that if the windshield cracked while they were installing it, I would not be out the cost of the glass, they would. That was their reason for me paying them instead of doing it myself. Since I had just bought my headphones I didn't have enough money to have them install the new windshield so I still have the old one in the car. Now I need new headphones so I guess the car will have to get by with the old cracked windsheild a while longer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 7
The glass companies that I have dealt with have all, without exception, have had warranty periods on their work. Glass work can be funny and small errors during installation may create undo stresses that will break a window over a period of time. I had this happen when I went through a car wash and the change in temperature cracked my new windshield. They came out looked at it and after determining that there was no rock type damage put in a new one for free. No harsh words, no management, just good service. I may have been able to save a few $ on the original job by buying based solely on price but the stress isn't worth it.

In your case I think that when the person took the glass responsibility transferred to him. The fact that he may doing it for free is not material. He was either doing warranty work or he might have charged you for labor. Either way it is his responsibility. This is a classic Court TV type case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back