When will Cowon produce some more DAPs?
Jul 20, 2008 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

lewislink

Banned
It seems Cowon/iAudio doesn't update or innovate quite as frequently as other DAP makers like iriver, Sandisk, Creative and such. I'm certainly interested to know if Cowon will be coming out with anything new any time soon.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D3 has been rumored to be coming for a few months now, but there have been no solid details on it as of yet.

Cowon iAudio D3 Not Too Far Off?
Electronista | Cowon D3 to slim down, add high-res video

[OFF TOPIC]

I noticed in your signature you will be getting a Fuze. If so, and if you prefer to keep your DAPs in perfect condition, be incredibly careful with the Fuze. It will scratch so easy it seems the word, scratch, will put scratches on it. Don't wipe it with anything cotton or apply too much pressure when wiping. I'd suggest getting some clear protector for it and cover the whole front.

I had two of them, one silver, the other red, and saw that there was a small nick on the red...they are also very prone to nicks, for some reason...and tried to rub it out lightly. I felt I accomplished something till I shined a flashlight at the screen and saw all of the swirl marks and scratches. I gave that one away and vowed never to buy another Sandisk PMP. In this day and age when every other DAP maker is using a protectant on there vulnerable fronts, it is inexcusable for Sandisk to not do so.

Also, I might add, Sandisk is in league with the movie industry and no longer allow the use of any non-OEM converted videos on the Fuze. You will be limited to the Sansa Media Converter for video support. Also, SMC won't accept MPEG-2 files...the DVD format.

There are just too many other DAP/PMP makers to turn to rather than support such a sloppy company like Sandisk.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems Cowon/iAudio doesn't update or innovate quite as frequently as other DAP makers like iriver, Sandisk, Creative and such. I'm certainly interested to know if Cowon will be coming out with anything new any time soon.

Another way to look at it is that Cowon may not be too concerned about making minuscule and/or utterly useless changes to a player, slap an altered shell around it and sell it as a new innovation, just to trick people into buying more of the same, like some other companies are notorious for doing here lately.
I think they will come out with something new when they truly have something new. At least that's my little bubble of hope I'm clinging to, heh.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 37
Here's another unsubstantiated rumor:

Quote:

2 July 2008, 12:05 pm

I had a 2 hour meeting with Cowon just last week. I'd love to tell you stuff, but I can't at this particular moment in time. The D3 is in the works though and will be here before too long, along with some other Cowon goodies.

I promise you'll hear it on CNET the second I'm able to tell you.

This from Nate at CNET to keep this thread breathing.

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 37
I hope they go slightly larger and not smaller w/the D3 + go 32gb's.

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 37
Well they did just release a 16gb D2, which is a major addition.

The D2 has set the bar pretty high when it comes to DAPs. I'm sure whatever they have in store will be at least as good, and possibly improved in some ways.

Here's hoping for a line-out and gapless!

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[OFF TOPIC]

I noticed in your signature you will be getting a Fuze. If so, and if you prefer to keep your DAPs in perfect condition, be incredibly careful with the Fuze. It will scratch so easy it seems the word, scratch, will put scratches on it. Don't wipe it with anything cotton or apply too much pressure when wiping. I'd suggest getting some clear protector for it and cover the whole front.

I had two of them, one silver, the other red, and saw that there was a small nick on the red...they are also very prone to nicks, for some reason...and tried to rub it out lightly. I felt I accomplished something till I shined a flashlight at the screen and saw all of the swirl marks and scratches. I gave that one away and vowed never to buy another Sandisk PMP. In this day and age when every other DAP maker is using a protectant on there vulnerable fronts, it is inexcusable for Sandisk to not do so.

Also, I might add, Sandisk is in league with the movie industry and no longer allow the use of any non-OEM converted videos on the Fuze. You will be limited to the Sansa Media Converter for video support. Also, SMC won't accept MPEG-2 files...the DVD format.

There are just too many other DAP/PMP makers to turn to rather than support such a sloppy company like Sandisk.

No wonder they're selling so cheap
rolleyes.gif

I usually order in a protective cover for all my DAPs anyway since I'm obsessive about keeping them scratch-free (actually been forgetting to that this time around, gotta make sure to get around to it ...) but thanks for the heads up
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 37
Q5 was a major letdown though - and it could have been so much more IMO.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 37
The radio REALLY SUCKS on the D2. I'm talking about the USA version and can't really say anything about the DAB.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
radio reception, file number limit, storage volume, OGG tag navigation, fix the EQ....

What's wrong with the EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back