When was the last time you bought a CD?
Jan 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #166 of 219
I purchased a few albums as downloaded .mp3 files from Amazon.  Then, I realized that for a lot of the stuff I like, I didn't like the remastered versions because they were too loud and compressed, etc.  So, I started looking at used CDs.  The prices for used CDs for older stuff were cheap.  I also found that used versions of newer stuff were cheap on CD.  Now, I will not purchase anything but CDs or vinyl.  I buy, on average, one CD a week.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #168 of 219
Epica-the divine conspiracy, about a week ago.

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #171 of 219

Quote:
I purchased a few albums as downloaded .mp3 files from Amazon.  Then, I realized that for a lot of the stuff I like, I didn't like the remastered versions because they were too loud and compressed, etc.  So, I started looking at used CDs.  The prices for used CDs for older stuff were cheap.  I also found that used versions of newer stuff were cheap on CD.  Now, I will not purchase anything but CDs or vinyl.  I buy, on average, one CD a week.

Exactly. Older versions can be better in many cases. And used cd's are very cheap these days. I buy several used ones a month.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #173 of 219

Quote:
hmm my parents tell me a CD just arrived today for me.  i find it hard to believe its the one i ordered 2 days ago as it would be coming from the US (like almost all my CD's do) so i have no clue what it is. 

that's too fast to be true. I have some coming from UK, oldest was shipped 18th december and it's still not here. This is not the first time. CD's US-->NL are faster then UK-->NL

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #175 of 219
Yesterday I brought Seven Lives Many Faces.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #176 of 219
I ordered quite a few of them this Christmas to replace the original copies I bought back when I was in fifth grade. Believe it or not it was all classical, which was all I listened to back then. I also supplemented the purchase with a few albums I hadn't ever had on CD, and one I only had piece of from a compilation. Most of my music collection was bought on CD, actually. Call me old fashioned, but I like having a physical copy of my collection, complete with the (often reduced in size from the original LP) album art. I also didn't have high speed Internet until summer of 2004, when I had already bought the bulk of my collection.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #177 of 219

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. Older versions can be better in many cases. And used cd's are very cheap these days. I buy several used ones a month.

No kidding. Sometimes the remastered versions are good, and other times they suck out loud. Case in point, the Genesis remasters from 2007-2008. I have all the early 90s versions which, while not perfect, are head and shoulders above the new ones, which are hideously compressed, boomy, and utterly stripped of character. Every one sounds like every other, and they all sound like Invisible Touch. Which is kind of mind blowing for the Gabriel-era material, and not in a good way. When Ruckus was still around my college participated, so I got to try out a lot of music for free, including the new remasters of quite a few groups for which I already had amassed a collection. You really have to watch with remasters.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #178 of 219

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No kidding. Sometimes the remastered versions are good, and other times they suck out loud. Case in point, the Genesis remasters from 2007-2008. I have all the early 90s versions which, while not perfect, are head and shoulders above the new ones, which are hideously compressed, boomy, and utterly stripped of character. Every one sounds like every other, and they all sound like Invisible Touch. Which is kind of mind blowing for the Gabriel-era material, and not in a good way. When Ruckus was still around my college participated, so I got to try out a lot of music for free, including the new remasters of quite a few groups for which I already had amassed a collection. You really have to watch with remasters.

I have an old scratched up original release copy of Led Zeppelin IV, my moms good original of it, and my new remaster of it. First of all, they changed the CD case artwork which I absolutely hated. But more importantly, the new one, while remastered by Page himself, sounds like crap. Apparently the Japanese pressings of it sound better than the originals, but anything pressed outside of those select places sound horrible. You really do need to watch them closely.

I'm still tempted to buy up some Out of Print (Production/Press?) LPs from the local record shop to have truly high quality copies of Kill 'Em All and Killers (Metallica and Iron Maiden) and not have to deal with my junk quality remasters. Sadly the musical selection here is trash so I have to really search for older CDs, the LPs are actually easier to find for most things.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #180 of 219
Happy to have Rasputin Records in Mountain View...new and used CDs.  Lots of 'em.

Bought 6 Pink Floyd albums over the holidays plus: The Books (No Way Out), Sufjan Stevens (The Age of Adz & Greetings from Michigan), David Gray (The Foundling), The Roots (Vol One and Two of Introduction to the Roots- which is live).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back