When was the last time you bought a CD?
Jan 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #181 of 219

Quote:
Happy to have Rasputin Records in Mountain View...new and used CDs.  Lots of 'em.

Bought 6 Pink Floyd albums over the holidays plus: The Books (No Way Out), Sufjan Stevens (The Age of Adz & Greetings from Michigan), David Gray (The Foundling), The Roots (Vol One and Two of Introduction to the Roots- which is live).

Haha. Perfect! Led Zeppelin IV Japan remaster available through Rasputin Records. It's $35 though, I'm going to stick with the originals for awhile longer.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #182 of 219
^A fellow member has 4 different versions of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut."

After hearing a couple different versions I believe in the different preferences and presentations.  

May you find the version that you love!

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #183 of 219
The quality of a remaster often depends on whether it's just a new transfer or else a new transfer with a completely different mix. The newer ones are usually more compressed than the originals, but if it's done tastefully it's not really a big problem, IME. I like the Peter Gabriel remasters, for instance, and they're fairly compressed. But if the mix is totally futzed with, and everything is compressed to heaven and back (especially drums or anything else that's percussive, where you'll likely notice it the most), it will sound lousy. And, if it's EQ'ed to add extra treble or bass or both, this will also make it sound different (and usually worse).

The new Genesis remasters are one of the best examples of what not to do in a new release, as the engineer did every single thing I just mentioned. He also seemed to hate Tony Banks (keyboards) in general, and the Mellotron specifically, as the keyboards ended up getting buried in the mix behind every little strummed chord played by Steve Hackett (guitars).

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #184 of 219
I bought a MFSL (2112 - Rush), nice master, payed too much (not sealed though) for it but had to have it

Bought all the Dire Straits remasters (super bit mapping) for 3 or 4 euro's each. Those remasters are pretty decent.

Just bought the old version of Misplaced Childhood (Marillion), which sounds better then the remaster.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #187 of 219
^ I had forgotten all about these things. The number of AOL discs that flooded into my (for the longest time computer-less) house was really quite extraordinary. Some friends and I once used some as wheels on a car we had to make for a physics project. In this capacity they were extraordinary.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #189 of 219
just bought 4 Rush cd's, versions I didn't have yet, 3 euro's each. Almost feels like stealing.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #190 of 219
last physical CD I bought was Year Zero by NIN the week it came out...so whenever that was. Then I said to hell with it, CD's take up too much space. Downloading is the wave of the Phuture.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #191 of 219

Quote:
^A fellow member has 4 different versions of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut."

After hearing a couple different versions I believe in the different preferences and presentations.  

May you find the version that you love!

That is annoying I know of two different versions of I cd as well...not cool.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #192 of 219

Quote:
That is annoying I know of two different versions of I cd as well...not cool.

...huh? I like having different masters of an album, I think it's interesting to see how different people prefer to present the music.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #193 of 219
Yeah I would to if they both were cool, in this case one is acceptable and the other....you don't even want to listen to. Just depends on the Cd. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #195 of 219

moogman said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I buy a couple of CDs each month so I put 2-4 weeks in the poll. I prefer CDs over downloads as I like to own something tangible, and it means I have a backup after creating .m4a files. Problem is the next two albums on my list to buy are difficult/expensive to get on CD and I'm considering mp3/320 (legit) downloads instead. I suppose it's the way things are going but I'm not really happy about it.

Now I got it, It's very detailed, Thanks for your sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back