When trust disappears, Reviewers are simply “noise”
Nov 3, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #76 of 198
Don't change your posts, and don't take up smoking! I've been off the cancer sticks for around 14 years now. They are definitely not the answer. Everyone makes mistakes George - me more than most. How you react to them is how you learn. I'm not trying to make little Brookos here - I'm trying to lift the standards all around. Theo has pulled me up a few times (we had some great discussions) on being too lenient when it comes to things like GUIs. You agree on common ground, agree to disagree on where there is no common ground, and you try to be better in what you do.

I feel bad leaving any kind of bad text behind.

I need to erase my arguments and such.

I probably need to work a bit less and focus a bit more on relaxing, this argument had nothing to do with anybody else, it was my mistake only. I just tried finding an explanation for my finding instead of accepting my mistake on time.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #77 of 198
Great post Brooko. The responses from all have certainly been interesting, insightful, and enlightening. This sort of discussion is why I stick around and follow from those that I both agree with and disagree with.

@Dobrescu George No, but they do not expect them to return that 100 USD review sample, at least that was the case for me. Personally I'm fine with the whole sample thing pending a reviewer puts in the time to have warranted being sent it in the first place. You do that and you don't own them anything and have earned the privilege to review that item. People like Brooko, Twister6, and others clearly do; just look at the detail and thought that goes into everything they write. I like to think I do too, though admittedly on a much more simplistic level. While my process isn't as structured and well defined as some other reviewers, it's still immensely time consuming. Sitting down and pumping out something in a couple hours is impossible. It's a long @$$ process. My wife will attest to that...

For me this is a hobby and I don't get paid for anything I do; my blog isn't monetized, I haven't joined any affiliate programs, etc. I do it because it's fun and it's intended to help people spend wisely, unlike what I was doing when I started out. Samples are solicited because I can't afford to buy everything I want to review (that HiFiMan gear for example) and I want the experience. Mind you, reaching out for samples isn't quite as necessary now because I have had manufacturers reach out to me to see if I want to try X product. That feels good. Hopefully they're doing it because they value my thoughts and feedback and not because they think I'll give their gear a good review. I'm quite sure my reviews do not generate sales so if that's what they're going for they'll be sorely disappointed.

I think you're also putting a lot of work in your reviews actually!

Also, I didn't know about the policy of that!

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #78 of 198
I have erased all my negative comments and such. I feel bad leaving something negative written anywhere.

I think the argument about me was a onse sided mistake, my mistake. It probably had nothing to do with anyone else.

Sorry for causing trouble to everyone...

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #79 of 198
I think you're also putting a lot of work in your reviews actually!

Also, I didn't know about the policy of that!

Mr Scrambler is such a delight to talk with, he's really helped me out (among numerous others) and has a very consistent ear. People like him make me hopeful for the future of reviewing whether objective or not. There's no shortage of noise but no shortage of quality here either. We might lack some experience but there's great potential among us.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #80 of 198
I'd believe this if the measurements are all over the place. But check with Crinnacle. His and my measurements are almost a perfect match. I've also seen another pair with the same curve. If Kinera has got some real issues with consistency in tuning, then we need to uncover that. How about getting some of these other pairs of 4/5 star IEMs in for measuring?

To be fair, I think we've been spoiled with what the F9 has brought to the table now. Until the F9, I considered the H3 to be pretty good for the money. Not great by any means, but good for the money.
Anyways, I've just finished a cycling trip so once I've had a chance to clean my ears I'll compare the H3 to the F9 again to check again if/how much my perception has changed.

Regarding the discussion about selling loaner/gift units. I agree here with you @Brooko, even if it wasn't against the rules, I don't think I could bring myself to sell gift items. I wouldn't sell a gift item from a family member, so why would I do so with audio gear?

But then again, my situation is different to most people. The gear I get are sent to me through a local audio shop. I work closely with them (and in some regard for them), and I get paid for doing my reviews. So the gear I have are either units I have purchased through the shop at a 15% discount, or are units that were sent for the purpose of the review (but not items that the shop sells). But even if the review items are "gifts" front he manufacturers, I still consider them to be loaner units from the shop... If that makes sense.

@Brooko, George said earlier that you're tilted in favour of Fiio. To some extent I agree that it can sometimes come across that way. It *seems* as though you tend to look over some of their flaws (especially the ones they repeat again and again).
But you also said earlier "maybe my expectations are too high". So when I complain about the persistent issues but you don't, I also often feel like my expectations might be too high lol.

There are very few people I respect on here. I mean that in the sense of people who have demonstrated their integrity and have earned respect (true respect, not some BS cult loyalty). Yourself and @Hawaiibadboy are 2 of those people. Whilst Chris and I don't really see eye to eye on a few topics, as far as showing honesty and integrity in terms of reviewing and recommending gear is concerned, it's that very integrity that build trust and a following.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #81 of 198
I guess thats where we differ Lachlan. Yes - I like to have enough exposure so that it can create decent discussion on what I'm reviewing. Thats the only reward I really desire - I guess it is respect among my peers.

And I think Head-Fi may already be suffering with some of the changes. I've noticed a lot of movements to other sites. I personally believe it might be the business model which needs fixing. I guess only time will tell. If sponsors see better value elsewhere, they will go elsewhere. That is the danger.

I mean I’m not entirely sure where you are suggesting we differ since I mostly agree with you about the problem you are complaining about, but I am guessing you mean my nest feathering. Fair call. But the money is flowing somewhere - either by the reviewers or by the manufacturers and PR reps who manage them or the platforms that sustain them. Putting aside my own ability or suitability for making it happen, I think if you want to make reviews for the readers, then it makes sense that the reviewers pay for them. But that was my own quixotic solution!

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #82 of 198
I mean I’m not entirely sure where you are suggesting we differ since I mostly agree with you about the problem you are complaining about, but I am guessing you mean my nest feathering. Fair call. But the money is flowing somewhere - either by the reviewers or by the manufacturers and PR reps who manage them or the platforms that sustain them. Putting aside my own ability or suitability for making it happen, I think if you want to make reviews for the readers, then it makes sense that the reviewers pay for them. But that was my own quixotic solution!

Since you are in here..

Your vid on the ex1000/7550 was the reason I started reviewing so all blame goes to you.
Still love the hell out of them. Your music tastes appear to be waaaay diff from mine but i love the EX sony series. Classic and your impressions were identical though i choose to love the 1000

@TheoS53

Right back at ya.

The themeing days with X5 were intense periods of creativity and flashing 100-1000's of times for no reason beyond pride and belief in an image we wanted to share. I got respect for you and Relic since then and it has continued.
It's easy to say things. Harder to do them. It's a character point

If a buncha friends were cold after swimming all day i would be the guy to say "let's start a fire"...and go hunting for wood. You would too.
These things are related.
Your latest vid took time and is great. Not surprised you took it to a new and original level. 30 minutes.....loooong but ...stuffed with consumer targeted info so excellent

**tips hat**

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #83 of 198
How about crowdfunding to raise money for the equipment that people really want honestly reviewed. Do you really want to know if the HE1000 V2 is worth $2999? Ok then put a little money down, using a similar methodology like Massdrop, for example. If enough interest is generated to fund a review unit, then the unit can be bought and sent to a reputable reviewer, like Brooko, and he can review it. Then when it’s all done, Brooko packages it up and it can be raffled off to a lucky winner, which would be comprised of anyone who donated to the cause. In addition, some of the money raised should absolutely go to the reviewer for his/her time and effort. And as a means of checks and balances, any reviewer that becomes a shill, or corrupt or whatever, probably wouldn’t be able to garner any backers down the road if he blows his trust and betrays his backers with dishonesty. In that sense, the market will regulate itself.
A horrible and/or untrustworthy reviewer will simply be replaced or forgotten over time. This is a brainstorming rough draft, so please don’t flame me if it’s rough around the edges. Take anything I’ve said and shape it, refine it, edit it, and make it better.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #84 of 198
@TheoS53

Right back at ya.

The themeing days with X5 were intense periods of creativity and flashing 100-1000's of times for no reason beyond pride and belief in an image we wanted to share. I got respect for you and Relic since then and it has continued.
It's easy to say things. Harder to do them. It's a character point

If a buncha friends were cold after swimming all day i would be the guy to say "let's start a fire"...and go hunting for wood. You would too.
These things are related.
Your latest vid took time and is great. Not surprised you took it to a new and original level. 30 minutes.....loooong but ...stuffed with consumer targeted info so excellent

**tips hat**

Cheers buddy. Yeah my vids are too long at the moment. But I'd rather them be complete, as opposed to skipping over topics simply to make 'em shorter. I think they'll become shorter over time, as for the moment I do tend to explain concepts and my methodologies. So I think once people are familiar with my perspective and how I go about it, then those sections won't need to be included in the vids anymore. I'm enjoying the learning curve though :)

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #85 of 198
How about crowdfunding to raise money for the equipment that people really want honestly reviewed. Do you really want to know if the HE1000 V2 is worth $2999? Ok then put a little money down, using a similar methodology like Massdrop, for example. If enough interest is generated to fund a review unit, then the unit can be bought and sent to a reputable reviewer, like Brooko, and he can review it. Then when it’s all done, Brooko packages it up and it can be raffled off to a lucky winner, which would be comprised of anyone who donated to the cause. In addition, some of the money raised should absolutely go to the reviewer for his/her time and effort. And as a means of checks and balances, any reviewer that becomes a shill, or corrupt or whatever, probably wouldn’t be able to garner any backers down the road if he blows his trust and betrays his backers with dishonesty. In that sense, the market will regulate itself.
A horrible and/or untrustworthy reviewer will simply be replaced or forgotten over time. This is a brainstorming rough draft, so please don’t flame me if it’s rough around the edges. Take anything I’ve said and shape it, refine it, edit it, and make it better.

But that's what Lachlan tried to do and it wasn't sustainable...

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #86 of 198
But that's what Lachlan tried to do and it wasn't sustainable...

I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware of his business model. What sort of peripheral support would be necessary for sustenance?
I’ve only recently come across “Lachlan Likes a Thing”, but I really like the videos. But is it buried in YouTube (Where the niche is too small) ??? Was Lachlan completely independent or did it have the benefit of a public forum, such as Head-Fi, to help filter support towards the cause?
I love Audio and I love the purity of the hobby. I would absolutely be willing to support an effort such as what I proposed, after the idea is refined, of course. And I think a lot of people feel the same way. So let’s get a business model going and create our own Audio Commission of sorts. I’ll happily be a silent backer.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #87 of 198
I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware of his business model. What sort of peripheral support would be necessary for sustenance?
I’ve only recently come across “Lachlan Likes a Thing”, but I really like the videos. But is it buried in YouTube (Where the niche is too small) ??? Was Lachlan completely independent or did it have the benefit of a public forum, such as Head-Fi, to help filter support towards the cause?
I love Audio and I love the purity of the hobby. I would absolutely be willing to support an effort such as what I proposed, after the idea is refined, of course.

I think Lachlan's older videos got more engagement, they dropped off a bit after he went on hiatus a few times. He used to post a written review on Head-fi and was writing for another site at one point, but his independent Youtube channel was always the focus. Crowdfunding is great in theory, I guess it doesn't cross most viewers minds to commit though and a few enthusiasts like you and me aren't enough to support these reviewers in the modern market where a midrange iem costs nearly $1000 (Australian).

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #88 of 198
So a review whether positive or negative is still publicity, therefore bad products probably shouldn't be covered at all unless the writer strongly averts buyers. And since most reviewers are very time constrained, and I assume this is the case for others too, we tend to gravitate towards models of interest or things that seem to possess some quality from initial impressions while blocking out the junk. Resultantly, only capable items get reviewed and scores look overly positive, but these products are objectively well-performing compared to products uncovered and unmentioned in the review.

I definitely don't have the time to look at all of the products I get sent (not always on request or to my knowledge), so I just feature the good stuff that I think people will value. Any thoughts on this? Of course, expression of thoughts on these products can easily become hype but I think it's a pretty common trend that should be addressed.

And a note on scoring, due to the aforementioned phenomenon, ratings are skewed positive, with the vast majority of products sitting on 4-stars or very negative around 2-stars. Is it fair to raise our standards and give products like the Kinera H3 and Simgot EN700 Bass 2-3 stars because it's just average in its price category, or does it get 4-5 stars because, as a product, it is quite fully-featured?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #89 of 198
I definitely don't have the time to look at all of the products I get sent (not always on request or to my knowledge), so I just feature the good stuff that I think people will value. Any thoughts on this?

I lost contact and burned bridges with Penon and others by not reviewing what I deemed crap. Not borderline, total less than buds that come with samsung...crap.
I have a life, girl, and discussing crap in a polite way is not what I do. For what? To keep the crap?

I will hype the hell out of a device I love. I photobomb this site when i love something and make no apologies. Stuff I love gets saturation photobombing. I got included in FiiO's 10th anniversary vid because my relentless promo of the X5III which i bought. They think I did it to be "Friend of FiiO"...nah, I loved it. I held that thread up for a month solid. Same with X7II. When 4-6 folks had it I was the only one taking questions pictures and keeping the thread on 1st page for 3 weeks?. That is my job. Trench warfare, frontline carpet bombing until the well versed and structured folks come along and take over from there. If I like it. If I don't. You never see me. OPUS #3 is same $ as X7II and I don't like it. It shows.

My YT viewers know I promote what I like and crap gets no love.

I'm a promoter of what pleases me. I am not a reviewer.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #90 of 198
I lost contact and burned bridges with Penon and others by not reviewing what I deemed crap. Not borderline, total less than buds that come with samsung...crap.
I have a life, girl, and discussing crap in a polite way is not what I do. For what? To keep the crap?

I will hype the hell out of a device I love. I photobomb this site when i love something and make no apologies. Stuff I love gets saturation photobombing. I got included in FiiO's 10th anniversary vid because my relentless promo of the X5III which i bought. They think I did it to be "Friend of FiiO"...nah, I loved it. I held that thread up for a month solid. Same with X7II. When 4-6 folks had it I was the only one taking questions pictures and keeping the thread on 1st page for 3 weeks?. That is my job. Trench warfare, frontline carpet bombing until the well versed and structured folks come along and take over from there. If I like it. If I don't. You never see me. OPUS #3 is same $ as X7II and I don't like it. It shows.

My YT viewers know I promote what I like and crap gets no love.

I'm a promoter of what pleases me. I am not a reviewer.

You know what, that's a good way of looking at it. Critic, reviewer and promoter can all be considered to be identical yet they are all so different, probably good for us to find a balance lest we all become promoters. Honestly, I've only reviewed like half of the stuff Penon's sent me if that, some of it is just not good, I saw your F9/Shozy video and I agree. But that's just when I have the product on hand to test, some things look promising in theory but have a crap execution and I'm forced to get an article out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back