When to consider yourself as Audiophile?
Feb 19, 2008 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

Musicboy

100+ Head-Fier
When can you call yourself an Audiophile? Is it when you bought an "audiophile" quality setup because you only can deal with the bet of the best, or is it when you listening to music all day and loves audio? Is it when your friends call you an audiophile, or is it something completely different? The last option is that there is no definition...

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 97
I think that many will be quick to say "when you love music and audio", and also quick to discount "when you have an audiophile quality setup", but I think it's probably somewhere in between the two.

Or, at least, they both play some role.

I know many people who love listening to music, but couldn't give a rat's shiny spot what it comes out of. Therefore, I would consider them "music lovers"... but certainly not audiophiles.

Conversely, I've met a few unfortunate souls who have laid down many a fine Benjamin in order to create a system that will absolutely trump anything I could ever afford... and yet rarely ever turn it on (other than to show it off to their friends). "Equipment lover", yes; "audiophile", no.

I think both should probably be in the equation; to what degree, is most likely up to the individual. Many different balances of the two, an audiophile, will it still make!

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 97
I would agree with TopPop, except that you don't necessarily need great equipment, but there has to be some care on that front. But an audiophile definitely has to love music, but also would be someone who likes to analyze it and listen for details. There has to be a level of appreciation for music both as an art and as a technical exercise to make an audiophile, at least that's what I would say.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But an audiophile definitely has to love music, but also would be someone who likes to analyze it and listen for details. There has to be a level of appreciation for music both as an art and as a technical exercise to make an audiophile.

Fine point! Agreed.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 97
When you set an individual account for it. :^)

It takes on it own life, it lives I tell you, it lives!

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 97
I picked "there is no definition" but in reality there are too many definitions; it's just that none of them quite work for me and I'm tired of trying to make up my own definition.

I don't actually think it's a black and white thing when suddenly one "becomes" an audiophile. I think, instead, that it's a gradual "process of becoming" rather than a "state of being". What complicates it further is that sometimes people will drift more toward becoming a true audiophile, and then at other points in their lives, drift away from it because their interests shift to other things.

At times, the wandering audiophile is drifting because he just can't bother to keep up with all of the latest and greatest equipment or other developments. So, to me, it's not just about being a music lover (although that's the case 99% of the time), nor is it just about having a keen interest in audio technology and gear and measurements and so on.

It has more to do with a desire to learn about all things audio. As that desire comes and goes, you may still be an "audiophile" by some definition, but in comparison to a lot of people who know a lot more about sound reproduction than you do, you're not anywhere near to being a true audiophile.

So, in the end, I've decided that there are no definitions that really work for me, and I don't really care whether one person or another considers himself or herself to be an audiophile. I guess I prefer to think of myself as an audio enthusiast because I don't want to have to have the burden of defending a loftier self proclaimed title.

By calling myself an audio "enthusiast" I can them pick and choose what I want to be enthused about and nobody is going to look at me and snicker while saying to themselves, "So he think's he's an audio enthusiast! Huh! I'll bet he doesn't know the first thing about.... (X, Y, or Z, you name it)." But if I were to call myself an audiophile, I think many people could reasonably question where I get off in doing so.

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 97
Anyone can buy a nice headphone or a nice amp to listen to music and be happy with it, but only a diehard audiophile will pay for a xin amp not knowing if he or she will ever receive one
wink.gif

Normal people will spent a few hundred dollars on a headphone and be very happy with the sound, but only an true audiophile will spent another thousand dollar to get a five percent improvement on a set of headphone. And after that, he is still not happy with the phone and go on to spent another 500 dollars to upgrade the cable
wink.gif
and still after that if he is not happy with the sound, he will sell the newly acquired two hundred dollars headphone at half price on the FS forum and start the exercise again
wink.gif

A normal person do not develop any addiction, dependency or withdrawal symptoms with regard to Headfi.org, a true audiophile develop a clinical syndrome similar to that of chemical addiction, dependency or withdrawal if he (and mostly he) or she doesn't check headfi.org every thirty minute or he would insist on finish reading the looong thread on Ultrasone ED9 while his wife is waiting in the car to go the the hospital to deliver their first child
wink.gif

Other signs of a true audiophile may include a person selling one of two family vehicles to upgrade from an already very nice dac the like Benchmark, Headroom, Bel Canto etc to a Wadia or a Mark Levinson.

The list of the definition of a true audiophile can go on and on and I would like to invite those who profess to be the only real audiophile to chime in with their own personal experiences that only a real audiophile could know:wink: Well, I have at least another two pages that I can write but my wife is threatening me if I don't get out of this forum now.

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have at least another two pages that I can write but my wife is threatening me if I don't get out of this forum now.

Back again under life threatening condition, anyone one who is writing at 10 o'clock in the morning. or anyone who has more than 37 post counts
biggrin.gif
redface.gif
biggrin.gif
redface.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 97
I voted for "when you love music and audio" but I think it's a little more complicated than that.
I think you can consider yourself an audiophile when you have an old computer (low-end specs) but you still spend money on the audio card and you always want to expand your HDD so you could own as much FLAC based music :p
Another think that can indicate that you're an audiophile is that you can't bear listening music with a stock MP3 headphone or you can't understand why your friends ask you for your iPod stock 'phones because "they're are really good".
confused.gif

The babylon definition for "audiophile" is: "lover of hi-fi sound reproduction ".
I guess that's a right thing to say as well :p

I'm not sure if I consider myself an audiophile or not but all the examples I gave are from my personal experience so you'll be the judge of that
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 97
When you spend lots of money on small improvements in sound quality. It is unfortunate but true.
biggrin.gif
mad.gif
biggrin.gif
mad.gif
biggrin.gif
mad.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 97
I don't really have a checklist for saying yup, audiophille or nay, not yet. Maybe an indication is when the whole thing gets a life on its own. You start tweaking or expanding your collection of gear and music so its constantly changing and you're never really feel its "done"
I don't think its about the budget you're spending on things though

Actually I am clueless what to vote to match that definition
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 97
For me audiophile is somebody that loves music and somebody that can notice even slight differences in sound and be able to tell them.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 97
An Audiophile is someone who love the sound.
Some people love wine, others drugs, others biers and sometime there is one who loves everythings...
It's an Audiophile.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 97
Audiophile? When you are interested in soundquality, and you are willing to make your music sound as good as possible, even willing to stretch the budget, you are an audiophile. All of as are audiophiles. Hifists want as faithfull sound reproduction as possible, as accurate sound as possible. Not all of us are like that, as some give more weight on fun some creative colorations add. Both are still audiophiles as they are particularly interested in soundquality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back