1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

When should a Head-Fier move up the food chain, or expand their pallete within their usual spending range?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by buttuglyjeff, Apr 30, 2011.
  1. ButtUglyJeff
    Well, I have a little headphone spending to do, and I'm looking for a direction to travel.  I'm planning with a budget of around $600, and the way I see it, I have two general options.  But I have decided that I want to make some sort of Grado purchase.

A)  I've wanted a set of Grado woodies for quite a number of years.  And with that budget, I can get a new set of RS-2i, or a very good used set of RS-1 or RS-1i.  I'm also interested in the HF-2, even though they're not wood phones.  So, that'll be one purchase, which will easily be my most expensive set of cans ever.

B)  I could downgrade my Grado purchase to something like the 325is, and leave half of my budget available for an additional headphone purchase.  If I were to do this, I would get something from a manufacturer I've never purchased from before.  The idea being, I would then expand my audio "pallete", so to speak.  I'd then consider options, used or new, for companies like Denon, Beyerdynamic, AKG, or Ultrasone.

The only good set of phones I currently own are HD25s, so I don't have a collection to draw from, to learn more about the sound I like.  I know I love the HD25 sound, but I have a hard time explaining why.  After this purchase, I'll be taking a break from buying phone, and start saving for better amplification.

So, do I get the best single pair of phones I can afford, or do I spread it around?  Which do you think I'll appreciate most, in the long run?

2. scompton Contributor
    If you look at my profile, you'll see that I believe in spreading it around.  Plus I'm a bit of a compulsive collector.

3. baka1969 Contributor
    Quote:Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff 

"Well, I have a little headphone spending to do, and I'm looking for a direction to travel.  I'm planning with a budget of around $600, and the way I see it, I have two general options.  But I have decided that I want to make some sort of Grado purchase.
    A)  I've wanted a set of Grado woodies for quite a number of years.  And with that budget, I can get a new set of RS-2i, or a very good used set of RS-1 or RS-1i.  I'm also interested in the HF-2, even though they're not wood phones.  So, that'll be one purchase, which will easily be my most expensive set of cans ever.
    B)  I could downgrade my Grado purchase to something like the 325is, and leave half of my budget available for an additional headphone purchase.  If I were to do this, I would get something from a manufacturer I've never purchased from before.  The idea being, I would then expand my audio "pallete", so to speak.  I'd then consider options, used or new, for companies like Denon, Beyerdynamic, AKG, or Ultrasone.
    The only good set of phones I currently own are HD25s, so I don't have a collection to draw from, to learn more about the sound I like.  I know I love the HD25 sound, but I have a hard time explaining why.  After this purchase, I'll be taking a break from buying phone, and start saving for better amplification.
    So, do I get the best single pair of phones I can afford, or do I spread it around?  Which do you think I'll appreciate most, in the long run?"

The choice between the RS1(i) and the HF2 is somewhat subjective. I personally prefer the HF2 and there are others that prefer the RS1. The RS1 has more of the Grado house sound where the HF2 is a bit warmer with more mid-bass impact.

IMHO the 325i(s) is my least favorite Grado with the, to my ears, piercing highs.

I would recommend that with the higher end Grados you budget for an amp. It will improve the sound quality.