WHEN, oh when, will we get a new high-end headphone???
Jul 19, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #31 of 44
x2

They'll give you a fuller sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob, isn't there a limited amount of tube amps for Stax? From what I've read, if you really want the tube sound minus the really high price, use a tube preamp and a normal SS amp at the end...

While they may sound exceptional, there's a few dynamic contenders, at least in the budget (SR-303 and down) sector. I've also quickly read that it takes a lot of time/money to find the right synergy as well. More so, than what it takes with dynamic phones. Furthermore, I quickly read the budget Stax sometimes lack the bass of dynamic phones.

If..

..some of what I've said is true, from my brief reading, then I will likely rule out the Stax, and to boot they are extremely ugly, and must be stored after each use. I can't let anyone see these things.
redface.gif

I need the bass.. at least a good amount of it, without spending $2,000 on a pair of Stax. While I feel and respect everyone's opinion, this, however, is mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

My vintage, normal bias Stax SR-Gammas have better bass than my DT880 250 ohm. They go a little deeper and have the same impact. They only cost me $125. I already had an SRD-7 that I paid $75 for. So you can get a very good Stax set up on a budget. I probably don't need as much bass as you do though, so YMMV.

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #34 of 44
Well if theyd just start producing the R10 again... You can kill the R&D costs at least unless theyd like to try to manufacture them with the same sonics and less cost.

Id be happy with that...

They produced these things when Hi end headphones were more of a niche product than they are now by far, and I think they would do MUCH better in todays market.

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Rob, isn't there a limited amount of tube amps for Stax? From what I've read, if you really want the tube sound minus the really high price, use a tube preamp and a normal SS amp at the end...

While they may sound exceptional, there's a few dynamic contenders, at least in the budget (SR-303 and down) sector. I've also quickly read that it takes a lot of time/money to find the right synergy as well. More so, than what it takes with dynamic phones. Furthermore, I quickly read the budget Stax sometimes lack the bass of dynamic phones.

If..

..some of what I've said is true, from my brief reading, then I will likely rule out the Stax, and to boot they are extremely ugly, and must be stored after each use. I can't let anyone see these things.
redface.gif

I need the bass.. at least a good amount of it, without spending $2,000 on a pair of Stax. While I feel and respect everyone's opinion, this, however, is mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

hey Nick. Tubes for Stax are more about properly powering the more demanding phones like SR-007 than the "tube sound". Stats need voltage more than they need current, is my understanding.

Also, stats open up a whole new world. My vintage Stax SR-5NB gold edition when paired with an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro SS amp ($650 rig) can actually sound every bit as good or even outperform my APS V3 cabled RS-1 with maxed out Woo WA6 tube amp ($1800 rig). Even the inexpensive SR-003 are very impressive and full sounding - I just can't describe it, but they just do so much just right.

I find no lack of bass with my electrostatics with the right amp. It is very present but just not as tactile as dynamics - heard more than felt. But, I sure was hearing and feeling bass with my SR-5NB tonight. I am told the SR-007 with a good amp are tactile too.

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #36 of 44
maybe you should give the ed9 another try (unless you already owned one before)

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #37 of 44
Thanks for your help and advice, Larry and scompton.

I may reconsider Stax down the line.
wink.gif

If you can help me further, if you had to put the Stax bass amount, quality and detail to a dynamic phone, what would it be?

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

If you can help me further, if you had to put the Stax bass amount, quality and detail to a dynamic phone, what would it be?

I'd put my SR-Gammas slightly ahead of my DT880 in all 3 and about equal in impact. Using test tones to test extension, I set the volume at 1KHz, drop down to 100Hz and go down by 1Hz until the bass drops off significantly. With the DT880, I just have a little rumble at 36Hz. With the Gammas, I get the same at 28Hz.

The Gamma is driven with an SRD-7 hooked up to a NAD 3155 integrated amp. My other Stax, SR-3 and SR-5, aren't close to the DT880. The DT880 is plugged into the NAD's headphone jack.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd put my SR-Gammas slightly ahead of my DT880 in all 3 and about equal in impact. Using test tones to test extension, I set the volume at 1KHz, drop down to 100Hz and go down by 1Hz until the bass drops off significantly. With the DT880, I just have a little rumble at 36Hz. With the Gammas, I get the same at 28Hz.

The Gamma is driven with an SRD-7 hooked up to a NAD 3155 integrated amp. My other Stax, SR-3 and SR-5, aren't close to the DT880. The DT880 is plugged into the NAD's headphone jack.

But isn't the bass on the 880's "light" compared to other headphones? I've read on a few occasions, they are adequete, and others there's not enough. So what I have concluded is they are not "bass heavy", or do as good a job at decent overall bass (detail, speed, impact). For instance my AD2000's, I'd rate the bass at: 7/7/7 in regards to the three above categories. I also don't like bass that can leak into the mids, like I've heard the D5000's without the Markl mod can do. I'm not saying they do it all the time, but I've read from time to time the bass some-what blends with the mids.

Do you have any other dynamic headphone to compare to, other than the DT880's, scompton?

Thanks for your time,

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about something outside the box...how about a Taket H2? :]

A what?

They're $1,400+.. and never heard of them.

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

But isn't the bass on the 880's "light" compared to other headphones? ... Do you have any other dynamic headphone to compare to, other than the DT880's, scompton?

That's why I said in another post that my bass requirements are probably not the same as yours.

I've never owned any headphones with more bass than the DT880. The K601 is about the same. The only headphones I own with more bass are stats and orthos.

If you want a bass hump, neither of these headphones, nor the SR-Gamma are for you. They are pretty flat. They both play back what's in the recording. They don't add more bass than is there. They both extend below where most recordings have sound. My amp has a 6dB bass boost at 30Hz. I've yet to find a recording that goes low enough to hear it.

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I said in another post that my bass requirements are probably not the same as yours.

I've never owned any headphones with more bass than the DT880. The K601 is about the same. The only headphones I own with more bass are stats and orthos.

If you want a bass hump, neither of these headphones, nor the SR-Gamma are for you. They are pretty flat. They both play back what's in the recording. They don't add more bass than is there. They both extend below where most recordings have sound. My amp has a 6dB bass boost at 30Hz. I've yet to find a recording that goes low enough to hear it.

I mainly listen to high/super-high resolution classic rock. I also can hear a 20hz test tone as well, but nothing lower than that.

I don't want something that over-emphasis's the bass, I just want something with extremely accurate bass, with enough impact to call it "bass", and enough detail to hear what's in those low tones.

Even the few comparisons between the DT880 and AD2000, the few who have compared them said the AD2000 bass is a lot better (better being sonically better, overall) So I think I found a winner with these headphones. Are they worth the $600 asking price, no, but I wouldn't mind paying ~$475 for these, new.

I will be hosting a meet in Orlando, FL, where some Stax will be available to demo, so I will know if Stax are for me or not within the next month.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back