WHEN, oh when, will we get a new high-end headphone???
Jul 18, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #16 of 44
Have you considered the Ultrasone Pro 750 or the Ed. 9?
I'm listening to Mozart Piano music right now on the Proline 750's and it's musical heaven. One word of caution: Significant burn-in time is important with these headphones. When they are burned in, they are incredible, IMO.
My Proline 750's are not recabled like your HFI 780's. I really like the way they sound with the manufacturers cable so I can only imagine how great they would sound recabled.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #18 of 44
Stax all the way, there is no turning back now.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #19 of 44
And, when you've exhausted every other possibility, remember, there's always Radio Shack!
biggrin.gif

I bet that's one possibility you've never considered.
wink.gif

At least you have to admit, it's a new idea.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #20 of 44
I am sure there will be a Stax Omega III some day, or even an Omega II MK3.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #21 of 44
STAX

check out BlessingX's rig. I listened to his equipment at out recent meet, and it sounded great. you can get a brilliant stax rig for well under 1K so it seems

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #22 of 44
STAX!

Skylab, you're rich, right?
biggrin.gif

Justin is coming out with the KGST late this year, and you can pair it with the O2 MkII. You'd like the mid-bass hump, too. Trust me, that's the way to go.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the high end Stax are the one cans I have never tried...maybe it IS time
wink.gif

I'm skipping to the end on this one because i am in total disbelief. My lowly Gammas do so many things so much better than dynamic cans, even with all their flaws. Frankly, I'm shocked.

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #24 of 44
Yeah, OK, maybe it really IS time to look into the whole STAX thing more closely. Especially since tube amps are a real option for them
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks guys.

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Yeah, OK, maybe it really IS time to look into the whole STAX thing more closely. Especially since tube amps are a real option for them
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks guys.

Rob, isn't there a limited amount of tube amps for Stax? From what I've read, if you really want the tube sound minus the really high price, use a tube preamp and a normal SS amp at the end...

While they may sound exceptional, there's a few dynamic contenders, at least in the budget (SR-303 and down) sector. I've also quickly read that it takes a lot of time/money to find the right synergy as well. More so, than what it takes with dynamic phones. Furthermore, I quickly read the budget Stax sometimes lack the bass of dynamic phones.

If..

..some of what I've said is true, from my brief reading, then I will likely rule out the Stax, and to boot they are extremely ugly, and must be stored after each use. I can't let anyone see these things.
redface.gif

I need the bass.. at least a good amount of it, without spending $2,000 on a pair of Stax. While I feel and respect everyone's opinion, this, however, is mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #26 of 44
It's concern about bass that has always kept me away from Stax. Fortunately, my local hi-end audio store sells Stax, so I can go check them out.

The other thing about them is I am not sure I will want to spend the money. I really LIKE my current stable of headphones. I'd like something new just for a change-up, but Stax really require such a wholistic approach that I am not sure it's the way to go.

But first - I am going to go listen to them this weekend.

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #27 of 44
Headphones are expensive to design, expensive to market, and reside in an undoubtedly niche market. Manufacturers aren't about to spend countless dollars on R&D, then, when current models are selling just fine and sound just fine.

That said, I agree with others that you've only touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to high end phones. In my experience, there's always something expensive and of good quality floating around the used market; even if it's no longer in production or sold new. Stax is a perfect example; and I think you'll have a hell of a time building a sweet rig around something vintage.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

It's concern about bass that has always kept me away from Stax. Fortunately, my local hi-end audio store sells Stax, so I can go check them out.

The other thing about them is I am not sure I will want to spend the money. I really LIKE my current stable of headphones. I'd like something new just for a change-up, but Stax really require such a wholistic approach that I am not sure it's the way to go.

But first - I am going to go listen to them this weekend.

I love the bass on the (1985) DT990 600 Ohm which is pretty powerfull and goes pretty deep but I wouldn't call the Stax SR-Lamba bass shy by a long way (now the ATH-AD900, that's a bass shy can) They do need a warm source to sound good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back