When I connect to an audio jack of a stereo set does it go through the internal DAC ?
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OdioGuy

New Head-Fier
My Sony Hi Fi system does not support hi resolution Audio through the usb port. So, when I connect a hi res audio source to the audio input jack of the Sony Hi Fi system does it get further processed in the internal DAC or does it directly go to the Amplifier section ? Does the audio quality drop through the audio input jack of the Hi Fi system ?

What is better : USB port or Audio Input jack of Hi Fi System ?

I'll be connecting Headphones ( Sennheiser HD 560s) to the phones jack of the hi fi system.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 6
What is the model number of the Sony Hi-Fi system?
The audio input jack is analog, the analog audio signal would need to be sent the a ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) to change the signal to digital, then it might do some digital processing to the audio signal, then use a DAC to convert the signal back to analog, before the signal goes to the built in amplifiers.
The Sony might come with a setting to bypass the ADC/DAC, so the signal stays analog?

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 6
What is the model number of the Sony Hi-Fi system?
The audio input jack is analog, the analog audio signal would need to be sent the a ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) to change the signal to digital, then it might do some digital processing to the audio signal, then use a DAC to convert the signal back to analog, before the signal goes to the built in amplifiers.
The Sony might come with a setting to bypass the ADC/DAC, so the signal stays analog?
Model Number : HCD-GZR5D

Does this analog - digital - analog process reduce the quality of output ?

Can this hi fi system bypass ADC/DAC?
How to do it.

Specifications
Sony1.PNG
Sony2.PNG

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 6
Really have no idea on how the Sony process internal audio.
But switching back and fourth (ADC/DAC) might lose slight audio quality every time there is a conversion.
Maybe do not use the Sony, put something else between you source and the HD560.
Or just plug the HD560 into the Sony and use as is.

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 6
But switching back and fourth (ADC/DAC) might lose slight audio quality every time there is a conversion.
I think I'll get an Amp/DAC setup.

Thanks!!!!

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 6
I just called the Sony service center, they said when connected to the audio jack, analog -digital - analog conversion is followed.
Bypassing the ADC/DAC will make the volume control non functional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back