When does audio wowness begain?
Oct 7, 2009 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
What price point. I mean audio so good, you spend every waking moment thinking of listening to your set up and doing nothing else. I really like my set up, but I feel I'd need a HD800/R10/Q10/Auditor etc/New 1,400 Sony SACD player to get me there? Maybe a 3,000 DAC, Or just the HE90. I know people say it's the music.. I just want to expand on the aural aspect, Like I'm in another world or something. I can't afford this now, but would 10,000 get me there, buying used. I'm a bit afraid to hear the best at meets.. Might make me sell everything for it or something. & yes, I'd still be keeping my DT48..)

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 39
I got all obsessed about listening to my music when I got the LCD-1.

With my vintage orthos, I enjoed the music, but it wasn't like this.

(But now the rumor is that both the LCD-2 and the new head direct ortho are better than the LCD-1... nevertheless, the LCD-1 is the starting point of obsessive enjoyment for me.)

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 39
After I installed an Isoclean fuse in my amp, I sometimes get goosebumps as large as blisters. A painful experience I tell you.

Seriously, I don't know, I am really happy with my setup, and listen about every time I get the chance. It is too subjective to give a good answer since we all have different goals... I agree that there could be a backside to listening to gear at meets, as well as the positive sides of trying out different stuff.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 39
I used to enjoy my music more 25years ago with some Realistic Nova's glued to my ears.
This was in the days before bit perfect/headphone amps/and CD's existed.
The old Nova's pluged into an amp being fed from a cassette player sounded fantastic,still have them.
Sometimes the more you buy and the more you know do not mean more enjoyment.
There is a lot to be said for keeping it simple and just enjoy it.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 39
I can't say im there yet...

I do enjoy listening to music more with my new ms-1's... and since there at home, I clearly prefer to listen to music at home. So maybe that's just the starting point =p

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 39
Whether a person will get to such a point or not really depends on the person more than the gear. I've read of people in that kind of state with even cheap gear. I guess it would happen when you stopped listening to your gear and started listening to the music.
wink.gif

That indeed being said, maybe you need different music, not different gear. I remember that after I'd listened to John McLaughlin's Extrapolation a couple of times, I couldn't stop listening to it and listened to it about 50 times whenever I had free time before getting tired of it. Now I'm in to another album, The Body Acoustic by Chesky, which I almost can't get enough of.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After I installed an Isoclean fuse in my amp, I sometimes get goosebumps as large as blisters.

popcorn.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 39
Every waking moment ? Seriously ? I'm all for enjoying music, but thats just way over the top. One of the things that enhances my own enjoyment is anticipation - that CD you got at lunchtime and know you wont be able to listen to until beer o'clock finally rolls around.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 39
Radio, high fidelity speakers, headphones... Doesn´t matter you can get into it all really.

As mentioned it´s only when A-Bing you really see the benefit. You can dig radio all day long and don´t feel you miss anything if you just forget about listening to your hifi setup for a while.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 39
It started for me when I could feel the impact of the piano keys and other such nuances. Doesn't quite do it without an amp but that could be from my generic laptop sound board.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 39
really, in this hobby, audiophilia, one is never satisfied.. you enjoy it for a minute, thinking "wow, this is amazing" but unless you cut yourself off from the internet and the printed audiophile rags , etc.... it is a whole lot of chasing "perfect sound" and happiness never comes..satisfaction is elusive. excitement/happiness is attained only through tweaking and purchasing.

the only folks that are truly happy are the folks that dont have money to get into this audiophile game. they enjoy music instead of equipment.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really, in this hobby, audiophilia, one is never satisfied.. you enjoy it for a minute, thinking "wow, this is amazing" but unless you cut yourself off from the internet and the printed audiophile rags , etc.... it is a whole lot of chasing "perfect sound" and happiness never comes..satisfaction is elusive. excitement/happiness is attained only through tweaking and purchasing.

the only folks that are truly happy are the folks that dont have money to get into this audiophile game. they enjoy music instead of equipment.

I agree with that. If you feel that you could afford something more than what you currently have, you will always think "man just imagine how much better this could be if I bought this...or that...and this...."

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 39
Honestly, to me it is not related to price or actual audiophile performance.
'Audio wowness' can occur when listening to the car stereo and thinking by myself "this sounds pretty good for a cheap car radio!"

Well ok, now more to the point of this thread: my first 'upgrade' in years, after 10 years listening to Sony MDR CD270 headphones: the arrival of the Audio Technica A500's.
Right out of the box they sounded way better than the Sony's.

And recently - initially rather disappointed by the performance of the new Denons with only marginal sound improvement in pop and rock cd's (some cd's sound worse) - playing some good recorded classical music with them and simply couldn't believe my ears, how natural and realistic (almost holographic) everything sounded, the dynamics are incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back