When do you replace Complys?
Jul 31, 2008 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

paseawright

New Head-Fier
On my first set of T-500s with SF5p and loving them. Great comfort and seal. But after a week (of pretty heavy use) they are starting to go a bit yellow at the ends. Is that my lot and I should replace them?

They are not very grubby, but sitting on my desk in work are a bit embarrassing
redface.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 12
About now would seem appropriate, before they turn that lovely grunge yellow completely... with bits on.

Replace. Or go modded olives -they'd survive a nuclear winter.

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 12
i had complys on my triple.fi, they are great, except that $25 gets me 5 pairs, and im killing a pair every 2 weeks, thats not good, im currently moving to the shure E2c silicon tips

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About now would seem appropriate, before they turn that lovely grunge yellow completely... with bits on.

Replace. Or go modded olives -they'd survive a nuclear winter.

What are "modded" olives??

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had complys on my triple.fi, they are great, except that $25 gets me 5 pairs, and im killing a pair every 2 weeks, thats not good, im currently moving to the shure E2c silicon tips

wowsers, $5 for a pair of foam earplugs? Fantastic!
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shure black foams (nickname olives because they look like black olives) with the Shure plastic core removed & replaced with the UE foams plastic core (so they fit the wide bore of UE easily.)

Easy to do -you just have to cut out the Shure core with a very sharp knife (Exacto or modelling). Some stretch the Shure core but replacing it entirely (5 minute job) makes the olive much easier to detach from the UE.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The modded olives are the shure black foamies (also known as olives) that have been modded to allow them to fit over the larger end barrel of the super-fi pro. There are several ways to achieve this with streching the core of the olive using pliers, but I find the best way is to rip out the central plastic core of the olive and put this over a core from one of the foamies that came with the super-fi. (Hope this makes some sort of sense
smile.gif
).

There is a whole thread on this and other tweaks for the super-fi pro http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sup...eaking-298627/

Edit : Sorry Steviebee posted as I was writing a reply
redface.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 12
Don't throw them away, just clean them. Put them in a glass of warm water (hotter than body temperature so the wax melts), give them a squeeze, leave them for 10 mins, give them another squeeze through, then dry them out on some toilet paper... don't use any soap or detergent. I've cleaned foamies this way for many years.

It's better to wear them for a day, then swap to another set whilst the first get cleaned. That way you avoid build up of wax and degradation of the foam.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 12
Will give the cleaning a go - as I can't be doing with buying a new set of these every month!

Update - warm water cleaned them up nicely and don't seem to have adversely affected the foam. I reckon I will try that weekly and see how much life I can get out of them. They obviously are not "done", just looked a bit minging!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back