What's your preferred headphone for Michael Jackson?
Mar 24, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any recent phones phones will do.. preferably younger than 12 years old ones.

so you're saying my ESP/10's are SOL?
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #18 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MJ music = no hint of Loudness War either = the awesome.

yeah, I do respect the production values, especially given that his career spanned from the 1970's into the 1990's, and his production quality didn't drop-off ridiculously like most recording artists of the time did

...and he's apparently recording new stuff, with "artists" like will.i.am, thats probably gonna be the drop off
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually really love the hd600s for Michael Jackson.

Oh really? I guess I have to try them out again right now. I need something to counter my roommate, who's blasting the trailer music for Watchmen.
icon10.gif

EDIT: Ah, I won! Well, he had to leave anyway, but whatever. The bass groove really makes a difference from the Grado standpoint, but everything else seems so recessed from the Grados. To be honest, it's really confusing my brain right now.
redface.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #22 of 53
I've used the Sennheiser HD-650. A little darker and groovier than the HD-600, it seems to be a good fit.

Jokes aside, Michael's early music is good. Off the Wall is an excellent record and it has good production values, too. Same with Thriller. I've picked up both the vinyl and SACD versions of Thriller and they're sonically impressive. The music has held up, too.

As requested by the OP, no comment on anything else.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used the Sennheiser HD-650. A little darker and groovier than the HD-600, it seems to be a good fit.

Jokes aside, Michael's early music is good. Off the Wall is an excellent record and it has good production values, too. Same with Thriller. I've picked up both the vinyl and SACD versions of Thriller and they're sonically impressive. The music has held up, too.

As requested by the OP, no comment on anything else.

just out of curiosity, would you say the SACD (and CD, if you have them) versions of those recordings are mastered in the same quality/tradition as the LP releases from years ago, or have they gone back over it "enhanced" things and ruined stuff?

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #24 of 53
I like my 990s for MJ. I find that the bright sound to work well with most of his music that I've heard.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #26 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my 990s for MJ. I find that the bright sound to work well with most of his music that I've heard.

really? I found bright hp's (**** I've never heard DT-990s ****) like Grado's to be obnoxious with most MJ music, whereas darker stuff that brings the midbass and bass out really complemented it (and my AKG's and Koss' sit happily in the middle, probably not "absolute best", but "best overall" in my book)

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #27 of 53
I really like the 325i's with the MJ stuff. Some people might find it bright, but I really like the great top and bottom extension with them. Also, they have great tightness separation, which is, IMO, key in his music.

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701's are "spot on" for imaging, presentation, balance, etc and this works out well with MJ

ESP/10's are quite stellar as well (a bit more forward, without extra brightness)

ultimately both of them work out well (and I'd have to say this about any genre I've tried to compare between the two...which means I can't get rid of either of them)

k701... I don't like them for MJ, not enough body.

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k701... I don't like them for MJ, not enough body.

Does it ever have enough body?
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it ever have enough body?
confused_face_2.gif

I like the k701/501 but they simply have not enough body for all the MJ songs to sound enjoyable. Some songs are great while others are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back