Whats your hardest math course
Dec 14, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #46 of 84
About the time I got into calculus, I was losing patience with math. Not being an engineering type, but business/accounting instead, it was hard to see the relevance to what I wanted to do. This is not to say that calculus isn't relevant, it just didn't fit with what I was tying to do. I didn't get into to the point where that "Ahhh!!! This all makes snese now..." type of feeling set in.

Dec 14, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #48 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by nph134
Well I'm doing a PhD in physics now and have done 2 degrees already in maths/physics. Maths being difficult is often what people say without ever really trying hard at it. Maths is like anything else you get better with practice. When you start out at anything complex it always seems difficult compared to when you're into it.

I'd say there's two different sides to "difficulty" as you mean it in maths. Conceptual difficulty: ie abstract maths were many find it difficult to understand the underlying concept. Then there is technical difficulty where many find it difficult to learn the actual methodology to solutions.

Technical difficulty is easily over come by study. Conceptual difficulty often stems from the fact people try to apply their understanding of the world based on their experience to situations that bear little similarity to everyday events such as in quantum mechanics and relativistic problems.

At my level difficulty lies in the development of proofs/solutions/theories that encompass many branches of maths rather than any in particular.

When studying for my first degree however I remember finding advance mutivariable calculus technically tricky as for complex multiple integrals for example you have to memorise many techniques and integrals to use in solutions. On the conceptual side that's a difficult one as it's where my strengths lie. Perhaps relativistic maths though seemed hard to grasp at first, ie the idea of space itself being "curved" and lengths and times being variable rather than constant.

Excellent summary. This is how I have often felt and mainly when I was ever in a sticky situation, it was merely my unhoaned skills rather than absolute difficulty. Technically I just needed more practice, which did come when I actually did my homework.

Though I am not a candidate for a PhD in physics, I am working heavily with various maths to help explain the origin of the universe, which ways heavily on some of the aspects of my own thesis. At this stage of the game, it's a lot of invention and/or reading what others have invented or plan to.

Dec 14, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #49 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
Any applied mathematics majors besides me?

One of my good friends from highschool did apple math and really tried to get me to pursue it as well. I went for biochemical engineering instead and then later moved to a double major in this and genetics.

He actually had an easier load than most engineers, likely because of the lack of labs, but then he doubled up and did apple math and engineering physics. That was the end of him. I didn't really see much of him for the next 4 years. Took him 6 to complete and he was easily putting in 40 hours of just class/lab time, then it was another 80-100 for the homework. He's making a good living now though, so it was all worth it.

Dec 14, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #50 of 84
for me real analysis and abstract algebra were the hardest to grasp. I've now moved on from math to physical/biochemistry
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #51 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalcat
It seems that there're more engineers here than mathematicians, not surprising though,
icon10.gif

Indeed. Engineers usually end up with jobs
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #52 of 84
Algebra 1 in 7th grade. Didn't pass the class, and then passed with flying colors when I took it again in 8th grade. I think it comes down to the teacher you have, in 7th grade I had the most boring math teacher I have ever had in my life and could'nt pay attention to him for my life. Got a great teacher in 8th grade, and am stuck with a pretty boring teacher here in 9th grade. Grades havent suffered from it yet, though.

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #53 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
Algebra 1 in 7th grade. Didn't pass the class, and then passed with flying colors when I took it again in 8th grade. I think it comes down to the teacher you have, in 7th grade I had the most boring math teacher I have ever had in my life and could'nt pay attention to him for my life. Got a great teacher in 8th grade, and am stuck with a pretty boring teacher here in 9th grade. Grades havent suffered from it yet, though.

To solve this problem, see if you can get in with some friends who either are having the same problems as you, or better, who aren't or are but enjoy math so much, they do it just for the fun of it. I found that bouncing problems off friends helped a lot. What was great is that various people in our circle would "lead" the sessions and then other times it was more a free for all. Regardless very very helpful to many. Or of course, there is always finding a tutor. I once tutored a girl who had an 85 after her mid-term. She wanted at least a 90 but couldn't seem to break past this 85 hump. Tutoring is definitely not just for the "weak" student.

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #54 of 84
Beach123456,

Textbook is your best friend. Read and try to understand them. I had several bad teachers/professors all through my math classes, and every time, I managed to have good grades. I taught myself calculus and differentical equation during college days. After all, if you read, try to understand, and practice a lot, math is quite simle. I found mechanics (also knowns as Physics), to be much more complexed.

Purk

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #55 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
One of my good friends from highschool did apple math and really tried to get me to pursue it as well. I went for biochemical engineering instead and then later moved to a double major in this and genetics.

He actually had an easier load than most engineers, likely because of the lack of labs, but then he doubled up and did apple math and engineering physics. That was the end of him. I didn't really see much of him for the next 4 years. Took him 6 to complete and he was easily putting in 40 hours of just class/lab time, then it was another 80-100 for the homework. He's making a good living now though, so it was all worth it.

Yea, i'm a double major in cse and ams. AMS alone i agree is an easy major in a requirement sense (at my university: stony brook). Yet, the kinds of clsases you take dictates the amount of work, the major is definatley geared around eco and engineering guys who want a good background in alot of "useful" math things i guess... (I think in my case in generally was a waste of time, e.g i hate and dont care about statistics stuff, why take 3 courses in it?).

On the other hand, it forced me to into crytopgraphy stuff, and helped me tune my my interestest towards this specialization (yea an undergrad one heh) in info assurance. This wasn't a necessity, but knowing the kinds of math like graph theory, abstract algebra really helped me alot in those kinds of respects.

As far as a career in applied math, yea i know actuaries can make a great salary, i just cannot see myself in that. It seems very boring. I'm more of an "engineering" type, i want to build and design information systems that are secure. That's my goal.

P.S: The stigma about math being so hard is heavily involved (I feel) in the lack of proper math teaching towards childern and teen agers in elementary and high school. From the ground up, it's taught in an awkward, secular, and pretty much cookie cutter way. You plug these lil thingies in, and out comes an answer... That's not real math.

Real math is a thinking and strategy pattern that you need to build off of axioms you are given. You move towards a conclusion based on the facts you have. No, it's not like writing an essay, you use symbols, postulates, corrollaries, and things in general that are known somehow to show something. Yea math at even an undergrad level can start to turn into something a bit more abstract... yet what does it have to do with
elementary algebra? They should focus more on how to look at problems, and i think at a very young age should teach childeren what proofs are and how to write them atleast in words. Though i might offend alot of people here by saying this, calculus is really one of the easiest and most trivial types of math there is (not talking about analysis stuff here). Anyone can do it if they have basic abilities in thinking... All of the equations given to you, you memorize and apply a new set of rules which is pretty basic, then you are given well behaved and solvable functions for each of these basic rules. Newton made this stuff to be easy, he wanted a geometrical approach to solve his physics problems, and well it's alot easier to do these things when the ideas of how areas of known shapes work.

If math wasn't taught in such a "practical" way to kids, if they weren't simply trying to make them pass tests like the sat I and II, there wouldn't be so many people in america that can't do trival math like calculus. If you disagree with my comments, just observe how other countries don't seem to have such a problem with teaching kids calculus even in elementary school. ALot of foreign students i know learned calculus atleast in their early teens.

Dec 14, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #56 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg

P.S: The stigma about math being so hard is heavily involved (I feel) in the lack of proper math teaching towards childern and teen agers in elementary and high school. From the ground up, it's taught in an awkward, secular, and pretty much cookie cutter way. You plug these lil thingies in, and out comes an answer... That's not real math.

Real math is a thinking and strategy pattern that you need to build off of axioms you are given. You move towards a conclusion based on the facts you have. No, it's not like writing an essay, you use symbols, postulates, corrollaries, and things in general that are known somehow to show something. Yea math at even an undergrad level can start to turn into something a bit more abstract... yet what does it have to do with
elementary algebra? They should focus more on how to look at problems, and i think at a very young age should teach childeren what proofs are and how to write them atleast in words. Though i might offend alot of people here by saying this, calculus is really one of the easiest and most trivial types of math there is (not talking about analysis stuff here). Anyone can do it if they have basic abilities in thinking... All of the equations given to you, you memorize and apply a new set of rules which is pretty basic, then you are given well behaved and solvable functions for each of these basic rules. Newton made this stuff to be easy, he wanted a geometrical approach to solve his physics problems, and well it's alot easier to do these things when the ideas of how areas of known shapes work.

If math wasn't taught in such a "practical" way to kids, if they weren't simply trying to make them pass tests like the sat I and II, there wouldn't be so many people in america that can't do trival math like calculus. If you disagree with my comments, just observe how other countries don't seem to have such a problem with teaching kids calculus even in elementary school. ALot of foreign students i know learned calculus atleast in their early teens.

I agree completely.

Dec 14, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #57 of 84
The SATs and PSATs are completely, and fully useless in EVERY way. The math portion is a joke.. it's about adding, subtracting and basic geometry. It only tests how well you can double-check your answers.

(sighs, I'm bitter)

Dec 14, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #58 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
Beach123456,

Textbook is your best friend. Read and try to understand them. I had several bad teachers/professors all through my math classes, and every time, I managed to have good grades. I taught myself calculus and differentical equation during college days. After all, if you read, try to understand, and practice a lot, math is quite simle. I found mechanics (also knowns as Physics), to be much more complexed.

Purk

Yeah, ive got to study for a quiz tonight and will probably try this instead of the notes, I have no idea how to do most of what is on the quiz and will try to learn as much as I can tonight.
Zanth: I don't really need to do any of that stuff yet, I believe I currently have an A in the class, it just takes a lot more effort to not zone out while the boring teachers ramble on....and on.....and on.........
rolleyes.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #59 of 84
I've taken 5 quarters of Calculus, 1 Diff Eq, and 1 Linear Algebra. Without a doubt the hardest was 2nd quarter Calculus. At my school its one of the weeding out classes for engineers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back