What's your foobar2000 setup?
Jun 4, 2011 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 527

Griffinhart

500+ Head-Fier
Ahead of time: sorry if a thread like this already exists.

To avoid cluttering the Cowon J3 thread (where this discussion popped up), I'm just making a new thread about foobar2000 and, specific, layouts and settings.

Quote:
My f2k setup is really visually uncomplicated, and has three searches set up (album list, media library search, in-line playlist search), plus a console tab.

Component list

Theme file

(The only component you explicitly need to get my theme to work, aside from the ones that already come with the latest version of f2k, is foo_quicksearch - quicksearch lets you do in-line playlist searching.)

I know caracara08 asked me for help getting f2k to look like how I've got mine, so here's some basic stuff:

First, download all of the components in the component list that you don't already have.
Second, grab that theme file.

Install all of the components in f2k, then import the theme file.

foo_audioscrobbler: Preferences -> Tools -> Audioscrobbler. If you want to scrobble your music to last.fm through f2k, set up your stuff here. Not necessary if you don't use last.fm.

foo_dsp_dolbyhp: Preferences -> Playback -> DSP Manager (select Dolby Headphone from the list of available DSPs). This wraps The dolby headphone .dll into a DSP. You'll need to get the Dolby headphone .dll to get this to work. You can tweak it by hitting the "Configure selected" button once you've added the DSP to your Active DSP chain.
I specifically chain "Convert stereo to 4 channel" -> "Dolby Headphone" for better (to my ears) sonics.
After doing a bit of reading in the foobar Dolby Headphone DSP thread, I've switched to that setup. Check the first post of that thread for more detailed instructions.

foo_input_alac: For playing .m4a (Apple Lossless) files. (I should get rid of this, I don't have .m4as anymore...)

foo_input_tta: For playing .tta (True Audio) files.

foo_jesus: Preferences -> Advanced -> Autosave & Autobackup. For autosaving the current playlists and stuff on a schedule, in case f2k crashes.

foo_osd: Preferences -> Display -> On-Screen Display. In case you want to display, for example, the song title/album/artist on your screen when f2k starts playing a new song. Can also show a volume bar.

foo_out_wasapi: Preferences -> Playback -> Output. For using the Windows audio API for playback, if you want to hear f2k and only f2k. (Select it in the drop-down box.)

foo_quicksearch: Preferences -> Media Library -> Quick Search. Also, left-mouse clicking on the magnifying glass next to the quick search text box. This component is necessary for to use my layout. Lets you do a quick media library or playlist search and return the results as a playlist. Even better: you can do an in-line search of the currently selected playlist.

foo_twitter_post: Preferences -> Tools -> Twitter Post. For automated tweeting of what you're currently playing. Not necessary if you don't use Twitter.

foo_vorbisstream: Preferences -> Playback -> DSP Manager (select Vorbis Streamer from the list of available DSPs). This lets you stream your music through an Icecast2 or Shoutcast server. You can edit the settings by hitting the "Configure selected" button once you've added the DSP to your Active DSP chain.

If there's anything specific about my setup that you're curious about, just ask~

EDIT:
At the request of BotByte, here's my C:\Users\Griffinhart\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000 folder. If you've got a non-portable installation, just grab this archive, unzip it, and stick the foobar2000 folder into C:\Users\<Your username on your machine>\AppData\Roaming\ . (This location only applies to Win Vista and Win 7; dunno where foobar2000 creates its AppData folder in WinXP.)

If you've a portable installation, you should know how to deal with the files in this archive.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?okorwo99h3e9b03

Warning: if you have a pre-existing f2k install and don't want to lose it, then for the love of $DEITY, don't replace your AppData\Roaming\foobar2000 folder with this one. This is my exact f2k setup. Instead, just pull stuff from the "user-components" folder and the "configuration" folder.

Also, you may wish to delete the "playlists" folder/the items in that folder, unless you have, somehow, by sheer coincidence, the same folders as I do for your media library...

-- Griffinhart

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 527
thank you! ill give it a go later today.

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 527

[size=medium]

Quote:
also @griffinhart - i might try foobar again, its just the amount of plugins and settings i have to change in order customize it puts me off it. i'll follow the instructions in the new thread you posted.  

:D

Quote:
griffinhart, how possible is it to change the look of the foobar?... i mean i am pretty new to it, and i tried to do the thing that you have done, but i do not have this
foo_jesus: Preferences -> Advanced -> Autosave & Autobackup. For autosaving the current playlists and stuff on a schedule, in case f2k crashes.

it is just not there... i mean preferences -> advanced->autosave&backup.... there is no such thing in advanced.... why?....

Changing the look is easy - View -> Layout -> Enable layout editing mode. You can resize the UI elements in your layout by dragging on borders, or right-click to add/remove/change a UI element.

If you want to apply my layout theme, go to File -> Preferences -> Display -> Default User Interface, click "Import Theme" and select the theme file you downloaded from above.

foo_jesus: First, did you install foo_jesus with foobar2000, via File -> Preferences -> Components? Then, did you restart foobar (it should ask you to do so if you "install" and then "apply")? After doing so, go to File -> Preferences -> Advanced, and there should be an "Autosave & Autobackup" in the right-hand side box.

-- Griffinhart
[/size]

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 527
just changed the theme to your theme! thanks i installed the components i use on your list.  do i have to activate them in any way?

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 527
Other than what I've detailed (e.g., how to use foo_twitter_post), there's nothing you really need to activate. foo_input_alac and foo_input_tta just work - foobar can now play .m4a and .tta if you install those components.

-- Griffinhart

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 527
At the request of BotByte, here's my C:\Users\Griffinhart\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000 folder. If you've got a non-portable installation, just grab this archive, unzip it, and stick the foobar2000 folder into C:\Users\<Your username on your machine>\AppData\Roaming\ . (This location only applies to Win Vista and Win 7; dunno where foobar2000 creates its AppData folder in WinXP.)

If you've a portable installation, you should know how to deal with the files in this archive.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?okorwo99h3e9b03

Warning: if you have a pre-existing f2k install and don't want to lose it, then for the love of $DEITY, don't replace your AppData\Roaming\foobar2000 folder with this one. This is my exact f2k setup. Instead, just pull stuff from the "user-components" folder and the "configuration" folder.

Also, you may wish to delete the "playlists" folder/the items in that folder, unless you have, somehow, by sheer coincidence, the same folders as I do for your media library...

-- Griffinhart

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 527

Quote:
First of all, the Naked and Famous are awesome.  Second, where did you get that visualizer in the top left?

The visualizer is Milkdrop from Winamp, through the shpeck Winamp visualization plugin bridge. Check this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557054/foobar2000-milkdrop-avs-together-at-last

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 527
A new version of foobar2000 was released today. Version 1.1.7 has improved bitrate scanning, updated ReplayGain library and now has the ability to embed (and remove) artwork from audio files (currently supports mp3, mp4, FLAC, wma, WavPack, Musepack, Vorbis and APE).

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 527

Quote:
A new version of foobar2000 was released today. Version 1.1.7 has improved bitrate scanning, updated ReplayGain library and now has the ability to embed (and remove) artwork from audio files (currently supports mp3, mp4, FLAC, wma, WavPack, Musepack, Vorbis and APE).

Awesome.♦

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 527

http://br3tt.deviantart.com/art/Xchange-360-130750625

Pretty cool configuration.  Highly customizable for what you see on screen and how you see it.  Up to 9 panels.  Other than the components in the zip file I have:
foo_jesus (auto backup)
foo_audioscrobbler
foo_out_asio
foo_httpcontrol (for android phone control)
foo_hdcd (HDCD playback from FLAC/CD)
foo_musicbrainz (music brainz tagger)
foo_playcount (playback statistics)

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #15 of 527
foobar4debff8583b2c.png

here you go :d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back