What's your favorite pickle?
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #17 of 32
Homemade dill pickles.
^ this

I pickle radishes, carrots, beets pretty much all root vegetables make good pickles.

All you need is vinegar and whatever herbs you like, peppercorn, bayleaf etc.

I don't can though. I just make a batch and it stays in the fridge until it's all eaten.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #18 of 32
There is a Russian store about 30 minutes from me and they have pickled vegetables. I need to try them, so far I’ve only had their cucumbers and I like them.

In some old rural parts of America, you can find pickled eggs. I’ve seen them in old style grandfather bars too as a snack with beer.

This is old hillbilly food from the old world and I think most people don’t eat it anymore except for the old 90 year old grandmas.

However, a few years ago, I discovered a really good version of pickled eggs in rural Alabama at a farmers market. These home made versions are rare old American food items nobody knows about.

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #20 of 32
Milwaukee's Midgets

cNy5vod.jpg

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #22 of 32
No one has even mentioned onions...

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #23 of 32
...and Kimchi probably deserves a mention (is it technically a pickle?).

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #28 of 32
Everything in America originated from Europe in the 18th and 19th century...
Yes, we mostly have the crappier, mass produced versions. When I look up UK breakfast, they look so much better. Ours is watered down UK breakfast. I guess due to being made more traditionally, food looks way more authentic from Europe. The US went through great depression and try to change food to be much more accessible (cheaper) and in the process, made crappy versions.

Just look at what US creates. White breads with enriched vitamins. US made the Franken food industry. It's a scientific/engineering approach that didn't give good results.

There's an interesting history of how this came about and cold war. US showing off their engineering marvel, the supermarket. And in Russia with food scarce. It was propoganda of capitalist superiority of engineering foods to be much cheaper and easily accessible.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #30 of 32
Yes, we mostly have the crappier, mass produced versions. When I look up UK breakfast, they look so much better. Ours is watered down UK breakfast. I guess due to being made more traditionally, food looks way more authentic from Europe. The US went through great depression and try to change food to be much more accessible (cheaper) and in the process, made crappy versions.

Just look at what US creates. White breads with enriched vitamins. US made the Franken food industry. It's a scientific/engineering approach that didn't give good results.

There's an interesting history of how this came about and cold war. US showing off their engineering marvel, the supermarket. And in Russia with food scarce. It was propoganda of capitalist superiority of engineering foods to be much cheaper and easily accessible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back