What's your favorite Live recordings?
Aug 24, 2007 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Know Talent

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for new material where the artist-audience interplay, individual performances and recording quality result in that magic blend of intimate "being there"!

Some of my fav's are... (in no particular order)

Lee Ritenour - Live in LA (kinda generic music but you can hear the little nail/pick details and "feel" the string vibrations, it's like it's breathing!!!...very detailed guitar recording)

Patricia Barber - Live: A Fortnight in Paris (Her band is TIGHT and when they lock into a groove it's some of the best ear candy I know of! ...also, her lyrics and vocal style are more worldly than Diana)

Sade - Live (Smokey, sultry, sexy, worldy vocals/lyrics and her band is super tight)

Diana Krall - Live in Paris (bouncy, fun, light-hearted, sexy...malibu barbie with a brain)

Bela Fleck & Flecktones - Live Art (While I'm not a big Banjo fan, Bela and his outfit really put on one helluva show and Victor Wooten's bass pyrotechnics are a must for bassheads) I'm glad he's not into bagpipes

Michael Landau - Live (Micheal's guitar work here is again phenomenal!, the tones this cat coaxes out of his rig are amazing)

Burning Water - Live an Lit (Early Michael Landau and LA friends jamming in small intimate club setting. Again, his guitar tones are insanely fat and the drummer is really beating the hell out of his kit on this one. Low level audience banter adds to "being there" effect!)

Allman Bros - Live at Filmore (classic that should really be on the fence due to average recording quality)

Little Feat - Neon Park & Waiting for Colombus (both these offerings demonstrate excellent interplay when a band locks in. The energy builds as the "back and forth" between the audience and performers adds fuel to the fire)

Big Head Todd - Live Monsters (simple straight forward blues-rock done right! Knowing when "not" to play too many notes or continually engage in self indulgent soloing)

Karizma - Document (Michael Landau joins friends in a European tour and puts out an awesome pop fusion effort)

Metheny, Holland, DeJohnette, Hancock - Parallel Realites
(While I really like the majority of Methany's work, I think this outting would have been better without him. Everytime Holland, DeJohnette and Hancock start to wick it up, Pat starts going off on some generic doodling that IMO takes the wind right out of the sails. Dude, think "Bat"!!! this ain't the Rippingtons!
tongue.gif
Even with Pat on some ADD excursion...Still a worthy addtion for those who enjoy live music)

King Crimson - Absent Lovers (I believe this was the closing show for the 83 incarnation. Levin, Bruford, Belew and that other strange guitar dude
icon10.gif
tongue.gif
really light it up! Adrian's vocals are awesome)

Dire Straits - Live at BBC (Small venue recording, very warm and intimate. Incredible playing by Knopfler per usual)

Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green) - Live in Boston (you can buy either a single CD or get a 3 CD box set, I have bought the 3 CD set after buying and listening to the single. The single is worth it alone for "Jumping at Shadows" and "The Green Manalishi". VERY detailed recording, amp feedback and mic squeals included... the guitar work "breathes")

Pat Metheny Group - The Road to You (Very airy recording, outdoors most likely. Fun, lightweight and relaxing)

Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley (simple recording and really brings you inside the venue)

Thackery & Mooney - Sideways in Paradise (though not before an audience...this gem was recorded on an outdoor porch in a Jamaican villa. You can hear crickets in background! The interplay is amazing!!! I got the chance to hear these guys replay this great recording live at the 06Eureka Springs Blues Festival. Jimmy Thackery's wife helped us locate misplaced tickets we bought online and then walked us to the ticket box office of the old Town Hall where the performance was held... MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!)

Oscar Peterson - Live at the Blue Note (subtle and sublime piano work... very detailed recording, you can almost make out subdued front table audience conversations during breaks along with clink/clank between flatware and plates)

I love the energy of Bennie Goodman at Carnegie....Sing, Sing, Sing always rocks!!!, Chris Whitley at Martyr's...RAW AS HELL, Buckley's Mystery White Boy compilation, Bill Evan's "Sunday at Village Vanguard", Monk at the IT Club, and Duke Ellington at Newport...Paul Gonzales anyone?...

ALL are excellent performances but the recording qualities are all just average IMO.

I'm on the fence with the King Biscuit versions of Robin Trower and Iggy Pop, Seger's "Live Bullet" and the Nuge's "Double Live Gonzo"....again, lots of energy but iffy recording quality.

Undecided on Spyro Gyra and Rippingtons??? Good recording quality and excellent musicians but the performance comes off generic, and like Classe' amplification, somewhat bland
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 24
My two favs:
Peter Frampton-Frampton Comes Alive!
Harry Belafonte - Belafonte at Carnegie Hall (the original pressing)

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 24
Another vote for Okonokos by My Morning Jacket. It is just superbly recorded and performed - my absolute favorite when it comes to live recordings.

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 24
Possibly my favorite live album, Friday Night in San Francisco is great for the crowd interaction. I always start laughing right along with the audience when the players start to sneak in Mancini's theme from The Pink Panther. And there's that guy going "McLaughlin!" who you know is always going to be at a show like this. But, just as important, they know when to shut up.

And it's just great music, music that I think anyone would enjoy, regardless of his usual listening habits. The simplicity of three acoustic guitars is perfectly suited for live recording in the intimacy of small theatre. And excellently recorded it is (and available on SACD, if you're into that) -- you will feel like you're sitting cross-legged on the floor about ten feet in front of the players.

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 24
I was gonna say Allman Bros Live at Fillmore..but you got it already!

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 24
DEREK and the DOMINOS - Live At The Fillmore
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 24
B.B. King - Live at the Regal
Led Zeppelin - How the West was Won
Deep Purple - Made and Japan

and the one I just picked up...

The Doors - Live in Detroit

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

I had forgotten about that one...delicious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back