What's your favorite IEM tip for Shures, Westone, etc.?
Sep 30, 2007 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

hockey_magnet

100+ Head-Fier
I have UM2's, E3C, E4C - I've tried lots of different tips - Triflange, Triflange, with bimod, Shure Clear flex, Shure soft flex, Comply's grey - long and short, Shure foamies and new Shure Black foam "olives". Using mostly my UM2's now but I find it hard to compare tips due to the 30 seconds or so it takes to change them up. So far I find the Shure soft flex to clearly give the best sound and comfort with UM2's. The Comply long's are comfortable but not as clearly defined with heavier base. The Shure triflange with bimod are probably third choice but a little uncomfortable. I was disappointed with the "black olives" - could not get a good seal - or isolation was bad. I know that generally speaking, foam based tips of any kind should deliver a softer sound with more base but there are so many variables - seal, isolation, length, etc. Anyway, just curious to know what peoples, favorites are and why, other than customs of course.

Chris

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 31
I really like the yellow foamies on my Shure E500's. It creates the best seal for me and is most comfortable. The grey soft flex ones aren't bad either as I used to use those with my E4's. On E2's, however, the clear flex ones were not comfortable at all. They felt hard and rough on my ears.

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 31
I got some flesh colored tri-flanges from EarphoneSolutions.com and I trim the stalk to be flush with the largest flange, then trim that flange off. Works the best for me for ease of insertion and sound with my e500.

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUNS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black Shure's once i got used to them, i can't really use anything else now as nothing gets a seal quite as good, nor is the sound as full.

Any advice on size? Mine are large, which could be the problem - the grey soft flex that work best for me are medium? Do you do anything with the black shures to get them to seal - I just can't get a good seal

Chris

Sep 30, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 31
Sometimes people don't fill the ear up enough and need a larger size. In your case, maybe you need the next smaller size. Also, some people "reverse" the Shures so that the flattened side goes in the ear first -- it can provide more isolation (but it makes the foamies feel larger, so if you're already using too-large foamies, maybe that's not the answer for you).

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 31
I have tried all shure and Westone tips and seemed to settle on a bi-flange. I get a great seal and you don't have to worry about ordering replacements.

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 31
The Shure Black Olives work best for me and my UM2's. The search for the perfect, non custom, tip is over. For me at any rate....
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 31
I've tried Shure tri-flanges and the Orange Stock foamies that come with the E2Cs and I like the foamies alot better...

I've also tried tri-flanges and Shure Olives on a pair of ER4Ps, the olives were amazing, definetely better to my ears.

Oct 1, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey_magnet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any advice on size? Mine are large, which could be the problem - the grey soft flex that work best for me are medium? Do you do anything with the black shures to get them to seal - I just can't get a good seal

Chris

Softips just work better for me, and I have not yet found another type that: 1) fits and sounds better, 2) is as/more comfortable, and 3) is as easy to maintain (basically wipe 'em down every now and then). It's not really a matter of what you'd like to use, but what works for you best so, keep lookin'. FWIW, the Olive's hard outer shell will not flex as easy with the foam behind it, so fit becomes even more critical for a good, comfortable seal, IMO. Although I use large softips on my UM2s, large Olives won't fit me right, I probably need to go a little smaller; if you're using medium softips, you'll definitely want to try medium or small olives. I think the point is that a particular fit with one size of tip-type does not necessarily translate into the same size with another tip (e.g. medium foamies does not always equal medium softips in the same IEM, etc.), and with everyone's ears different, it comes down to simply having to try them yourself (but be sure and let us know)! Good luck!
3000smile.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #12 of 31
Like most of you, I have tried a lot of different tips on my e500's. I had a long trip a few weeks ago and was able to do a lot of back and forth tip comparisons. Overall, I found that the moded bi-flanges provided me with the best sound. However, the large Comply tips were the most comfortable for me and the sound difference versus the bi-flanges was minimal. Of course, YMMV.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't custom molds the ultimate answer?

Judging by a lot of the threads for customs, in most cases they seem to be great but there are still some people who report fit problems. And there is certainly an extra cost factor for the impressions and the customs are generally more $ for comparable sound -

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #15 of 31
in my experience with the E3C, the yellow foamies worked best, the bi flange could occasionally get a good seal, but for quick and consistent seal I ended up sticking with the foamies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back