what's your experience with the postal service in italy?
Mar 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tjumper78

Headphoneus Supremus
i sent a package to another member in italy on 3/6, and it still has not arrived. i googled something like "shipment to italy" and i found out that the shipments to italy usually took forever.
i tried typing in the customs form number on usps' website but it does not give much details other than the package was accepted at my local post office.
can you guys share your experiences?
last time i sent something to italy, it was a small package (ipod lod), and i think it took about 3 weeks for the buyer to receive it.

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 12
Been posted here before - very unreliable - the Italian post.

From England to Italy - it didn't take forever. It just didn't arrive
frown.gif

Recorded/tracked is the only way to go when heading to Italy. I'm sure Italians get sick of us telling them that their mail service sucks. But it really does!

A letter or airmail postcard is usually fine. Not so if you send electronic gear via normal airmail uninsured post. Kinda hit and miss. Mostly 'the post misses, and the buyer wants to hit the seller - and the seller gets frustrated for being blamed for something beyond his control
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 12
Yeah, it is a known issue. Poste Italiane may take a long time to bring on the parcel, or completely loose it on its way.
I have only shipped once to Italy myself, and *knock on wood* it arrived safely with some 4-5 days. It was fully insured though, hence relative risk free.

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 12
yes, don't send uninsured out there...so many ebay sellers refuse to ship to Italy, plain and simple.

I've received and sent several times in fully insured EMS, so far so good.

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 12
I'm italian and have received quite a lot of international shipments, so i have direct experience.

From the USA the average waiting time is two weeks, but it can take much longer, and the chanches of the package being lost are high.

After losing at least 4-5 packages from the UK now i always opt for signed-for mail, it's usually faster and 100% reliable so far. However goods from UK don't go trough the customs, which are probably where most of the packages are stolen or lost forever.

I've seen many ebay sellers clearly stating "I won't post to Italy" in their auctions so i believe it's a well known problem.

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 12
Whats weird is, i wouldnt expect that from italy. I thought they were better than that.
Thats why im afraid to deal anywhere besides USA and Canada. Ive dealt a little bit outside the USA, but not anythng over $100usd so far really.

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
darn darn darn....!!!
i should've done some research before i sent it out.

it's the buyer's fault as far as I can see, if he's italian he's well aware that he should pay more to get registered mail...I really don't see how that's your fault.

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 12
I shipped a parcel to Italy and the last update was June 5 says parcel departed from US soil and flew to Italy. Until now theres no update.
Do you think is there still a problem with Italy post? or the mail system is just slow.

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 12
it was all good after all.
parcel arrived in good condition.
tracking still doesnt update.
possibly italy post system isnt working.

Oct 3, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Speaking of postal systems, the postal system in the USA has declined.

I ordered an item from a website and it normally takes about 2 days for arrival.

Now my package arrived one week late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back