What's this plastic doo-dad on my usb cable?
Mar 21, 2006 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spaceconvoy

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know what it is and if it serves any useful purpose? I'd like to cut it out (in the process of making the cable shorter) - would there be any negative consequences?

doodad7pd.jpg

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 6
yep, there's a magnet in there. ferrite dongles like that are supposed to wipe out nasty RF interference floating around. folks say it does quiet things down, but also smooshes dynamics. up to you, but i'd keep it on in case there's a buzzy component around.

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Thanks for the replys - actually it's the usb cable to my digital camera, so why would it need to eliminate interference
confused.gif
Bits is bits, right... could interference possibly corrupt the data?

that's probably a stock OEM cable used for anything, so the same cable could have been packaged with something that has to live near a monitor or something. and yes, that cable can be used to feed info to your Micro DAC too.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Yep interference can affect things. Bits are actually analog signals, especially in USB. The bits are converted into a signal that is a sin wave (think audio signal at a very high frequency)

If you want to get into the nitty gritty, the bits are converted into a code where a change in the signal is a 1, and no change is a 0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back