Whats the weak link in my setup/what would be a good next upgrade?
May 10, 2020 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Blindsay04

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Right now my current setup is a Magni/Modi 3 setup with Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee's and overall I am pretty happy but there are a few things i would like and well, being a tech guy I always like trying something new haha

I love open back headphones like my Sennheiser's so closed back or earbuds are out for me but it doesnt have to be Sennheiser. I do also make use of the RCA outputs on the Magni to connect to a pair of JBL 306p's so i would like whatever I get to still be able to do that. I also do love how comfortable the Sennheiser's are.

I dont want super crazy bass headphones but i do feel the low end is lacking in my current setup. If i switch to my JBL speakers (which i realize isnt a fair comparison) they dont rattle the room by any means but i can at least notably hear the low end, which seems to be missing on the current setup (not sure if its the amp/dac or the headphones)

The other thing I have heard before is some high end setups everything is so clean and distinct that you could just pick out a single instrument and focus in/listen to that, it isnt muddied/blurred together. This setup is ok but i definitely dont get that feeling with it.

Any thoughts? Let me know if you need any details, hope i described things well enough.

Thanks!

May 10, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 21
Stick with your DAC and amp, but get some new headphones. Since you want more bass without getting crazy I suggest starting with the HE-400i for open planars and the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed for a closed can.

You will end up with some scalable headphones that have been well reviewed. I consider both end game.

May 10, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 21
Stick with your DAC and amp, but get some new headphones. Since you want more bass without getting crazy I suggest starting with the HE-400i for open planars and the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed for a closed can.

You will end up with some scalable headphones that have been well reviewed. I consider both end game.

Thanks for the quick reply, these ones right - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MULH672

May 11, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 21
Yeah love mine. You may want to get a new cable too for them as the stock one is pretty bad. Not sound wise. It’s just too stiff and the jack plug is horribly angled.

You can find a replacement for under $50 on Amazon. Just make sure the 2 connectors going into the headphones are 2.5mm.

May 11, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 21
I have the 58X too, love them and found them a little polite with bass quantity (not extension) as well. I tried an Hip Dac from iFi that wasn't really for the 58X but god damn, that Xbass button turned the 58X into bass cannons and proper bass, not the flabby farty distorted bass some stuff makes when you boost the low freq. It has a different effect than EQ it seems, I was never able to manage similar results with basic EQ functions and softwares.

The drivers of the 58X (and likely other similar Senn HD cans) are very much capable of bass and that little iFi gizmo felt like I just added a subwoofer in the 58X.

It's not going to be accurate sounding or anything but heck is it fun.

May 11, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 21
Yeah love mine. You may want to get a new cable too for them as the stock one is pretty bad. Not sound wise. It’s just too stiff and the jack plug is horribly angled.

You can find a replacement for under $50 on Amazon. Just make sure the 2 connectors going into the headphones are 2.5mm.

Do you think the Sundara's are worth the extra cost over the 400s?

May 12, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 21
May 12, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 21
Did you mean the 400s or 400i in your question about the Sundara being worth the extra cost?

To me that is up to your budget, but yeah I think the Sundara is well worth the extra cost over the 400s, but not the 400i.

If you dig around Innerfidelity and compare graphs you can see the 400i measured has more linear and deeper bass compared to the Sundara. Most likely this is due to the pad seal, but it is worth pointing out.

May 12, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 21
Did you mean the 400s or 400i in your question about the Sundara being worth the extra cost?

To me that is up to your budget, but yeah I think the Sundara is well worth the extra cost over the 400s, but not the 400i.

If you dig around Innerfidelity and compare graphs you can see the 400i measured has more linear and deeper bass compared to the Sundara. Most likely this is due to the pad seal, but it is worth pointing out.

My question was vs the 400i, I can get them for $169 new on amazon vs $349 for the Sundara. I would rather spend $169 of course but of the Sundara absolutely murdered the 400i then i wouldnt mind spending the extra.

Thanks!

May 12, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 21
The sundara is more of an upgrade overall to the jubilee.

May 12, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 21
I don't think the Sundara is twice as good if at all compared to the 400i. I think the build quality is better on the Sundara and that is about it. The measurements are so close that one could argue that the 400i is better due to lower bass extension.

May 13, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 21
The Sundaras are quite nice and should be a substantial upgrade from your 58x. They will have a very different sound signature and presentation though so I would research to see if that's what you like.

May 13, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #13 of 21
Get the 400i imo. Good cans for a great price.

May 17, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 21
400i's arrived, I will give them some time to break in before i make my final judgement but my initial thoughts are they are closer to the overall sound I want but I still find them lacking in bass. If i listen to any kind of rap the low end just seems very lacking to me.

I really wanted open back headphones because i use them when im either in voice chat gaming or if i work from home and i hate when i am trying to speak and not being able to hear my own voice due to closed back headphones, really messes with me but unless there are some good open headphones with bass that im unaware of that i might need to get a closed back set for just listening to music and then an open set for everything else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back