What's the warmest least fatiguing inexpensive DAC?
Aug 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dizzyorange

500+ Head-Fier
For $200 or less, what would you pick if the #1 priority was minimal listening fatigue? - something I can keep on 12 hours a day?  I know what causes fatigue for me is high frequency shrillness.  I like a nice liquid midrange and don't mind giving up detail.  Or should I just stick with my onboard audio? (which I'm pretty happy with, I just want to see what's out there).

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 11
For me, inexpensive is something like ELE EL-D01 or EL-D02. Sounds great, especially for the ridiculous price :D Certainly lot better than typical PC onboard Azalia or Realtek.
Other option would be Aune T1 but you probably have to buy proper tube for smoother dynamic highs so it wont get fatiguing.
I own both of these and can only recomment those.

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 11
If you can stretch just a little (USD 235 + freight), I'd recommend the Audio-gd NFB 15.32 DAC/amp.  Not massively warm - more full bodied and non-fatiguing.  Good news is that it can drive practically anything.

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 11
Aune T1 is a dirt cheap tube DAC that sounds decent for the price.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 11
The DAC•iT is impressive for its price. I've seen them online for ~350. Its sound has a spaciousness, warmth and swing that, IMO, is lacking from most DACs under ~500. My only complaint might be that it's not a champion of neutrality and precision. All that said, it was really enjoyable to listen to. And not fatiguing in the least.

I demoed it in large part because of this review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/peachtree-dac149it-da-converter

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 11
  The DAC•iT is impressive for its price. I've seen them online for ~350. Its sound has a spaciousness, warmth and swing that, IMO, is lacking from most DACs under ~500. My only complaint might be that it's not a champion of neutrality and precision. All that said, it was really enjoyable to listen to. And not fatiguing in the least.

I demoed it in large part because of this review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/peachtree-dac149it-da-converter

Agreed. I took a flyer on it and it has excelled with every combination of headphones/music/sources/amps I've thrown at it. Zero complaints -revealing and musical-, the thing is puny (I can sneak it into my office cubicle easily in a bag) and it's discounted now because a newer model is coming out (which only adds a minor upgrade). Highly recommended.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 11
i think so,HRT Music Streamer II has a nice warm analog sound. For the money you can't go wrong.thank you
MgMzZv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back