Whats the verdict on Coldplay's X&Y
Jun 7, 2005 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
well? I had a quick listen at the store, not too sure about it.

It sounded more like parachute with a little radiohead experimental beats to it. I didn't like parachute so I am guessing I wouldn't like this either, too much melodrama but I did liked a rush of blood to the head.

Jun 7, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 60
Well the first single released sure is a nice catchy song, I kind of like it. But I don't like stuff like radiohead, and I did want to buy the new coldplay...anyone reassure us?

Jun 7, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 60
I'm not too pleased with it personally. It seems too "poppy" and overproduced. There are one or two good songs, but the rest are just average. Sound quality isnt very good either IMO, highs seem too grainy...

I've only listened to it once so far, so these are just first impressions.

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 60
The consensus is....

It's boring.

If you're looking for pleasant backround music to play at a party or something, go right ahead and pick it up, but the album sort of plods along without any catchy singles. It's a shame too, since some of the early leaks showed promise with this album.

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 60
think you are right too.. i was hoping someone would churn in with some love and convince me to buy it
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebonyks
It's boring.

Agreed. I'm listening to it right now, and while it does have its moments (Fix You and Speed of Sound), its mostly boring. Maybe it will grow on me. I really didnt like the other two till I listened to them a few times...

Jun 8, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 60
Totally hated it.

While they tried to make it sound eerr, more credible? by making it darker and moody, they never quite pulled it off.

Chris for now it seems doesn't has the vocals nor the musical ability to write songs that would bring out that mood. It's sad they chose to abandon a platform that they totally ruled, in a good way as well, to come up with this.

Jun 8, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Agreed. I'm listening to it right now, and while it does have its moments (Fix You and Speed of Sound), its mostly boring. Maybe it will grow on me. I really didnt like the other two till I listened to them a few times...

I have to agree, except the first two grabbed me immediately. This is just...meh. Maybe it'll grow on me, but for now it just seems like a load of filler. Bring back sequences of tracks like the opening triplet on Parachutes, I say
cool.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 60
I'm not a huge Coldplay fan. I liked "Clocks" from their last CD and all of my friends are huge Coldplay fans, so I thought that I would give "X & Y" a try. I have to say that I really like it. I know what the buzz is and I think that the buzz is overly critical. "Square One" [track 1] is an attention getter. [...possibly my favorite Coldplay song of all time] "Talk" [track 5], "X & Y" [track 6], and "Speed Of Sound" [track 7] are all good, solid Coldplay songs. Having said that I have to say that the U2 influence is not subtle. I also have to say that "Speed Of Sound" almost sounds like a remix of "Clocks." Actually both of these traits are OK with me. [there is also some Radiohead in there as was mentioned in a post above...] I didn't expect trend-setting, ground-breaking, cutting-edge from Coldplay. If you are a Coldplay fan and your into U2 I think that you will love Coldplay's latest effort. IMHO "Get Behind Me Satan" by The White Stripes is the disc to buy if you are only up for buying one CD this week...

Jun 8, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
if you are only up for buying one CD this week...

But who on head-fi has that kind of self-control?
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 60
Is it just me or does it sound a little too much like latter-day U2? Has that same overproduced watered-down 'blandness' quality to it..maybe it'll grow on me, but on first listen has none of the rawness and intimacy that Chris Martin achieved on the Faultine album 'Your Love Means Everything' (I Highly recommend that album, btw)

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 60
The first thing I thought when I listened to the album was, Coldplay has gone U2. And I don't mean that in a good way.

I haven't really been able to sit through the whole album yet. What I've heard has impressed me, but it's not terrible either. I'll give it a little more time before making a judgement on it.

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 60
I've listened through twice now and I like a lot of the content thus far. I have to agree though that it does sound WAAAYYYY overproduced in contrast to the previous Coldplay efforts but that doens't change the fact that the underlying music is pretty solid. I think this is one that will sound a lot better live than it does on disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back