What's the "smoothest" setup you've ever heard firsthand?
Mar 17, 2006 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

slag

100+ Head-Fier
My perfect sound is "smooth." A smooth sound is rich with tone, a melted mix of highs, lows, and mids; nothing really sticks out except for the beautiful smoothness of the sound, and it feels like melted butter.

My personal setup for the smoothest sound I've ever heard doesn't really have much for incredibly hi-fi gear. This would suggest that either you don't need really expensive gear for a perfectly "smooth" sound, or that I'm just inexperienced and have yet to find an even smoother sound (just the concept tickles me with an eargasm.)

Setup
CL56 laptop headphone-out as source (basic AC '97 soundcard) -> amaroK as media player for FLAC and Ogg vorbis files -> radioshack stereo headphone splitter -> logisyscom 2.1 speaker set and Sony 2.1 soundsystem (unknown model, received as gift)

The logisyscom speakers are in front of me, pumping out stereo sound. The Sony speakers are behind me, with the speakers in inverted stereo for a "fake" 4-way stereo surround sound.

I guess I don't know the total cost since the Sony tower's value is unknown, but I don't think my setup is more than $300 worth. Honestly, the sounds coming from all around me melt my ears. It's soooo smoooooth!

Is a "smooth" sound your favorite? I think a lot of people here like "bright" or "crisp" sounds. "Smooth" might be too close to "muddy" for some of you, but honestly, it sounds like melted chocolate or butter. If you know what I mean by "smooth," what are some good ways to recreate smooth sounds? Do you know of any particular headphones? Are the KSC75's pretty smooth and silky?

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 25
Smoothest I remember was the Orpheus on the Headroom's first world tour.

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
Does this count?

Holy ****. Yes.

This is great! As melty is the sound I'm hearing right now, it can be bajillions of times better. Delicious!

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 25
Mini-DAC + W2002.

Daaaaaayum.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 25
I can't say I'd love the "smoothest" sound. Smooth but with punch, perhaps? Total Mantovani and I'd go to sleep. I guess maggies are pretty smooth.

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 25
maybe some Martin Logans I heard or some Maggies. Both required big SS power amps.
I've also heard some pretty smooth tube rigs.
Tough question.
None of 'em were headphone rigs.
CPW

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 25
that orpheus with the esoteric dac/transport combo at the SF meet.

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #11 of 25
Tuberoller's Wheatfield HA2 (modified) plus stock cabled HD600 were really, really smooth together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back