What's the origin of your username?
May 22, 2004 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Has this been done before? Probably, but I figure why not do it again
tongue.gif

Here's the origin of mine... in the 1980's, I had a girlfriend who called me "futureboy" (probably because I wore all black most of the time... I was into the [straight] new wave/euro/gothic club scene... also in reference to the "Back to the Future" film where the professor called Michael J. Fox's character "Future Boy").

Eventually I started calling computer BBS's (Bulletin Board Systems) in the mid to late 80's, which were the precursor to the Internet, and used the handle "futureboy." Later I shortened this to just "future." Some lady on one of those BBS's started calling me "fewtch" (short for "future") and I liked it so it stuck... been using it on and off (but fairly regularly) ever since.

Anyone else have an interesting/noteworthy story (that isn't already obvious) behind their user name here?

P.S... any other former BBS'ers, here's the site for ya (free & noncommercial)... http://www.bbsmates.com

May 22, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 113
I used to have a pager and my girlfriend's (now wife) name is Portia. The paging service always gets the name of my wife wrong, "tortie" is one of their worst mistakes. How could the paging service get a name like portia and transform it to tortie?!?
tongue.gif

May 22, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 113
For me, I find it hard to get away from myself. Also, the humorous side effects of calling yourself.... myself.. are also a factor. If you're 13 years old, anyway. Then it stuck. I'll change though because someone deleted my feedback thread here thinking it was somebody playing a joke.
evil_smiley.gif

May 22, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 113
No interesting story here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Meech is actually my nickname.
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 113
Mine's got a few stages.
My real name is Justin. When I was a kid, my next door neighbour's dad used to call my Jughead (from the Archie comics, the first two letters of my name matched the first two letters of Jughead's, and that was good enough for my friend's dad.)
Anyway, that quickly got shortened to Jug.
That carried on for ages until we got old enough to go out drinking. A load of friends and I got drunk and disorderly at a mate's place. One guy who used to drink vodka neat looked at me for a while, trying to get my name out, and eventually burted out 'Juggles!!!!'
The nickname Juggles was born, and soon lengthened to Doctor Juggles, after the cartoon character Doctor Snuggles, purely on the basis that it rhymed.

Since I left my home country to come to the UK, only a few friends who have followed me over still call me Juggles. My nickname here is JayKay (my initials are JK) but doctorjuggles will always be my real nick.

May 22, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 113
Stupid name I made up that I thought was cool when I was about 10 or something.
rolleyes.gif
I'm too lazy to think of anything better and use it almost everywhere on the net.

May 22, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 113
CPW stands for Crack Pipe Whores: a mythical (read non-existant) band I created. There are shirts, hats, embroidered jackets, etc.
Sort of an inside joke w/ some friends.

Typical exchange:
-"Did you see Prince when he was in town? I missed it."
-" Yeah, I went. He was OK. The opening band Crack Pipe Whores was way better. They even came onstage and played w/ Prince for the encore."

Crack Pipe Whores has played w/ numerous famous bands. The guitarist named Stone Temple Pilots. They were offered a recording contract with Warner Bros but refused to change their name.
Sometimes people will even say, "Oh yeah. I saw them once."

Once I was wearing a CPW hat at the supermarket and some fat cow at the checkout line told me she thought my hat was really offensive. I said, "Coming from you that's a compliment."
CPW
tongue.gif

edit: P.S. No I don't use crack or condone drug use (but I have heard that one of the band members had an addiction problem and went through rehab w/ Robert Downey Jr.).

May 22, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 113
It took me months to come up with such a catchy name.

May 22, 2004 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 113
My best friend always calls me an oddball whenever I talk about stuff she thinks is weird, which includes headphones.

May 22, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #13 of 113
I see my username everytime I sign something. So I figured I'd just used something I wouldn't forget.

fewtch, how is "fewtch" short for "future?" I'm measuring distances between the keys on the keyboard and its still longer.

May 22, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeliao
fewtch, how is "fewtch" short for "future?" I'm measuring distances between the keys on the keyboard and its still longer.

Phonetically, as in fewtch-ure.

May 22, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 113
Tyrion is a character in a series of books written by George R.R. Martin. The books are A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords. The next book is in process and will be called A Feast of Crows. They probably the most enjoyable series of books I have read. I highly recommend to anyone into fantasy novels. They are far more adult in content than most other fantasy novels I've read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back