What's the most overrated can?
Aug 7, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #76 of 126
i have a statement Series Grado. Bought new. Only headphone that ever failed on me. Driver broke after 6 month, Headphone was sent to Grado. Received it back, two weeks later the headphone fell apart and had to be resent back. Sound is average for it's price. The headphone almost doesn't scale. Hook it on a mojo or a dirty Cheap amp and you're fine. Now on my main system it's kinda bad in comparison to something like a HD600 or an Ananda.

Grado is overrated for sure in Germany. Every headphone Hifi Store has 3 brands: Grado, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic. Sometimes you find Focals. You never find anyone having Hifiman, MrSpeakers or any other of those brands unless you look out for some special stores. I live in the 4th largest city in Germany and not a single Hifi Store with other headphones than Grado, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic and Focal.

Before my Grado had to be sent to the US i even thought Grado is a german brand. Don't know why it's so overrated by the German shops. The GS1000e costs translated 1300 $ here.

Aug 7, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #77 of 126
i have a statement Series Grado. Bought new. Only headphone that ever failed on me. Driver broke after 6 month, Headphone was sent to Grado. Received it back, two weeks later the headphone fell apart and had to be resent back. Sound is average for it's price. The headphone almost doesn't scale. Hook it on a mojo or a dirty Cheap amp and you're fine. Now on my main system it's kinda bad in comparison to something like a HD600 or an Ananda.

Grado is overrated for sure in Germany. Every headphone Hifi Store has 3 brands: Grado, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic. Sometimes you find Focals. You never find anyone having Hifiman, MrSpeakers or any other of those brands unless you look out for some special stores. I live in the 4th largest city in Germany and not a single Hifi Store with other headphones than Grado, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic and Focal.

Before my Grado had to be sent to the US i even thought Grado is a german brand. Don't know why it's so overrated by the German shops. The GS1000e costs translated 1300 $ here.
You're living in the wrong city than. :smile:
Take a visit to Munich.
Here you'll find the whole range from Audeze, Focal, Meze to ZMF. :L3000:
CMA is located nearby also.

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #78 of 126
I think these are both overrated and underrated. At first the M50s were truly liked by a few who wondered why no one bought these instead of the overpriced Beats by Dre.
Beats bashing was popular at Head-fi at the time and it didn't took long for many Head-fi newbies to copycat this sentiment: "Beats suck, get a pair of M50s". In every "Which pair of headphones?" thread the M50s were recommended, in many cases by people who didn't even auditioned them or owned them. Youtube followed this hype and there you had it: a decent pair of headphones was hailed as the bees knees of headphones. And then came the backlash. The realization came that other brands had nice headphones too, and what do you know, some even sounded better. What goes up must come down. A fine pair of headphones soon was hailed as the worst pair of headphones.
As I see it, the trip of the M50 hype train was rather short in comparison with the long and winding road down. So in a sense the M50s actually are underrated, they are nowhere near as awful many make them out to be. I like them.
The hate for the M50x is somewhat mind-boggling, to be honest. I struggle to reconcile people's experiences with my own; I actually enjoy the M50 so much, I purchased the M50x, so I could (finally) have a shorter cable with the headphones.

The M50x has often been described as being very bright, bordering on sibilant, (too) heavy on the bass, with mids that are badly recessed. Frankly, I don't actually hear all of these negative factors, at least not to these extremes. Yes, the M50 is a little "v-shaped", with boosted bass and treble, but it is these qualities that are so endearing. It is far from bad, IMO.

Ultimately, different strokes for different folks is the order of the day. However, I sometimes wonder if these detractors have actually listened to the headphone, or are they simply parroting the opinions of the community?

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #79 of 126
The M50x has often been described as being very bright, bordering on sibilant, (too) heavy on the bass, with mids that are badly recessed. Frankly, I don't actually hear all of these negative factors, at least not to these extremes. Yes, the M50 is a little "v-shaped", with boosted bass and treble, but it is these qualities that are so endearing. It is far from bad, IMO.

The problem for me was not so much the quantity of treble (I tend to like more of it than many people do) but its rather dry, brittle, airless quality. I found that, together with the exaggerated bass, quickly fatiguing.

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #80 of 126
Well I don't have that much experience with cheaper cans. I'm kind of in the high middle and low high bracket. I don't like the HFM 4** series, don't like German cans in the sub $350 range much - there might be an odd AKG that's good but I don't know it. I refuse to have anything to do with IEMs. Now if you want to talk used, things get a bit better if you creep the number up to close to $500.

HE-500 (375-435)
LCD2 (450-550)
HEX v2 (650)
Ananda (? 550)

Yup I'm heavy planar and heavy open.
Are these used price? Or does the LCD2 go on sale for $450-$550, also do you know if Audeze updated it?

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #81 of 126
For under $150 new? The MDR-7506 if you’re trying to mix but also can be a pleasant listen, AKG K553 (or the K550 or the K553 MKII) can be had for around $100 if you’re patient.

Some interesting suggestions, easo91. Thank you. Perhaps not coincidentally, I also have a compensated graph of the Sony MDR-7506...

And also a comparison plot of the AT M50x, Sony MDR-7506, and a couple other popular closed studio HPs in a similar price-range...

5HPS LABELED.jpg

I don't have a graph of the AKG K553 though, MKII or standard. For some reason, nobody likes doing plots of those headphones. I am well-acquainted with the original K553 Pro with the fixed cable though. And have also listened to the MKII version with the detachable mini-XLR cable at GC recently. I have not listened to the Sony MDR-7506 recently though (because GC never has those on their demo display).

Weighted harmonic distortion for the 5 HPs shown on the above graph...

Beyerdynamic DT-770: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#440/4029
AudioTechnica M50x: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#295/4029
Sony MDR-7506: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#386/4029
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#299/4029
AKG K371: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#1671/4029

Up to $200-250 is okay with me btw, if you have some other suggestions along similar lines. Imo, the M50x and MDR-7506 are probably both a little better at lower volumes, due to the emphasis in the bass and treble. The MDR-7506 appears a little better extended in the bass. And the M50x appears a little a better extended in the treble. Since these are both closed though, some EQ could probably be used to level the playing field a little more between the two, and smooth out a few of the rougher areas on both HPs.

The graphs of the Beyer DT-770 shown above are for the 250 ohm version btw.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #82 of 126
The hate for the M50x is somewhat mind-boggling, to be honest. I struggle to reconcile people's experiences with my own; I actually enjoy the M50 so much, I purchased the M50x, so I could (finally) have a shorter cable with the headphones.

The M50 didn't wow me, but it did not sound awful. The lack of comfort is what made me sell my pair.

Ultimately, different strokes for different folks is the order of the day. However, I sometimes wonder if these detractors have actually listened to the headphone, or are they simply parroting the opinions of the community?

I think you nailed it. A perfect case of the blind leading the blind.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #83 of 126
The problem for me was not so much the quantity of treble (I tend to like more of it than many people do) but its rather dry, brittle, airless quality. I found that, together with the exaggerated bass, quickly fatiguing.
These days, I can tolerate the M50x for much shorter periods, as opposed to the past. However, I still find it an enjoyable listen, just not one that I can use for long stretches. With time, my experience with higher-quality headphones has set me on a path that takes me away from the camp of budget-level headphones such as the M50x. The lack of technicalities is apparent. Still, as a first headphone, the M50x is perfect for someone who enjoys that particular signature.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #84 of 126
The M50 didn't wow me, but it did not sound awful. The lack of comfort is what made me sell my pair.
Of all the things to criticize the M50x for, comfort is definitely one aspect that I am in total agreement with. It's not a very comfortable headphone to use. The change to a shorter, less-bulky cable has helped somewhat; I didn't enjoy using the old M50 with that bulky, coiled cable - it was heavy, and unwieldy.

I think you nailed it. A perfect case of the blind leading the blind.
I have always wondered why people do this. Why offer critique on something that you have never even tried? What's the agenda? To fit in with the crowd? This form of circlejerk mentality doesn't help anyone in the hobby.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #85 of 126
It's amusing to see how some are earnestly trying to convince others to share their own 'logic/illogic,' or nonplussed by what others call 'overrated.' :popcorn:

How can anyone argue over 'someone else's' definition of "overrated?"

And 'graphs' doesn't make 'sentiment' a 'fact.'

This thread is like a mini experiment by the OP and should be titled 'glimpse into the mindset of audiophiles.' Its such a selfish notion that their own beliefs and their perception of sound is the ultimate truth, therefore should be widely shared by the community.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #86 of 126
It's amusing to see how some are earnestly trying to convince others to share their own 'logic/illogic,' or nonplussed by what others call 'overrated.' :popcorn:

How can anyone argue over 'someone else's' definition of "overrated?"

And 'graphs' doesn't make 'sentiment' a 'fact.'

This thread is like a mini experiment by the OP and should be titled 'glimpse into the mindset of audiophiles.' Its such a selfish notion that their own beliefs and their perception of sound is the ultimate truth, therefore should be widely shared by the community.
That's true, and I am sometimes guilty of that. It helps to constantly remember that, at the end of it all, this hobby is an entirely subjective affair. What sounds pleasant to an individual may be dreadful to another.

In my defence, I am very passionate about this hobby, so if the opportunity arises, I do my best to steer people toward options best suited to their tastes.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #87 of 126
Delete this message. I missed the point.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #88 of 126
I have always wondered why people do this. Why offer critique on something that you have never even tried? What's the agenda? To fit in with the crowd? This form of circlejerk mentality doesn't help anyone in the hobby.

On one forum (not this one) I once saw a highly revered member repeatedy criticizing an amplifier for its thin, boring, analytical sound and then being called out for not actually having heard it. They first tried to dodge the question of whether they'd heard it, then they argued that there was no need to hear it and that would be a waste of their valuable time. Their reasoning was that they were experienced enough to know what this kind of product sounds like before listening, and they harshly attacked anyone who liked the amp's sound, while refusing to listen to it. (Incidentally, it's an amp that has been getting good reviews.)

Instead of dismissing this person's views as unfounded, the other members rallied around them, hounding out one of the amp's defenders with "Do you know who you're talking to?" and eventually banning them for arguing that the amp sounded good. The only person who had listened to it was driven out of town for having a different view from those who hadn't. It's a forum whose name suggests it will be friendly, but this hostility and prejudice was crazy to see.

And then there's the other well known forum where I've seen people arguing that listening is a weakness, when the graphs should tell you all you need to know.

If judging with no experience of the equipment is silly, some people on these forums take it to levels of absolute cult-like insanity.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #89 of 126
That's true, and I am sometimes guilty of that. It helps to constantly remember that, at the end of it all, this hobby is an entirely subjective affair. What sounds pleasant to an individual may be dreadful to another.

In my defence, I am very passionate about this hobby, so if the opportunity arises, I do my best to steer people toward options best suited to their tastes.

We've all been there. I'm just as guilty as the next person. I can definitely see your passion in this hobby. Nowadays, I always try to preface with "YMMV, IMO, personally, etc."

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #90 of 126
That's fair, ScornDefeat. But it still doesn't really answer my question.

Maybe there is no answer? :)

I was just reading some old Head-Fi threads from 2001 back when this forum originally began, and they were recommending pretty much the same at that time. Apparently nothing has changed in the last 19 or so years. :)
Hifiman 4XX lack the soundstage but beat the 6XX on tighter bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back