What's the highest general frequency music stops at?
Nov 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 143

eltocliousus

Member of the Trade: Audible Bond
I'm just curious as to what the highest frequency music tends to delivery, there are a lot headphones that 'supposedly' output well up into the 50-60khz range, and while I know this is just advertising flavour, as our ears can only hear between around 20hz - 17/20khz for the vast majority, I can't see much music going past 8-10khz. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 143
Most songs would sound a bit muffled if you cut off everything above 10khz. While there aren't really any instruments that play mainly in those frequencies, certain elements of the sound do touch them.

You can set up a low pass filter in audacity to see for yourself when high frequencies stop mattering to you.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 143
Overtones of different instruments can reach 16 kHz.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #4 of 143
Yep, 16KHz is around where MP3 cuts off generally.

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 143
Check out The Interactive Frequency-chart :
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

You will notice that the number of instruments producing fundamentals above 4kHz
can be counted on one hand .

Also, there are virtually NO studio/live microphones that don't cut everything beyond 22kHz ..

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 143
my hearing limit is about 17-18khz and i notice too that the music doesn't change until i cut off past 16khz. it starts to change dramatically once i reach 14khz and at 12khz it sounds severely distorted.

file was FLAC btw

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 143
You gotta keep in mind that not all music is acoustic though.

Not that much electronic music uses those high frequencies normally, but I'm sure there's an Aphex Twin song or two that does(that one song named after a tinnitus inducing drug comes into mind. I really hate that song).

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 143
i use an electronic track though lol, quite treble heavy one in fact for this test.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 143
Yeah but anyone can generate noise at any frequency...

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 143
Most songs would sound a bit muffled if you cut off everything above 10khz.

That isn't true. 10-20kHz is only one octave, and it's right at the edge of a human's ability to hear. In this range, the only thing in music is upper level harmonics in cymbals. There was a test done where they rolled off everything above 10kHz and people compared it to full frequency response samples. Although people could hear a difference in direct comparison, they had no preference between them when it came to sound quality.

Sound quality exists in the middle of the hearing range, not the fringes.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 143
my hearing limit is about 17-18khz and i notice too that the music doesn't change until i cut off past 16khz. it starts to change dramatically once i reach 14khz and at 12khz it sounds severely distorted.

I'm betting you're using a very basic equalizer with a whole lot of spill overlapping bands.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 143
Quote:
That isn't true. 10-20kHz is only one octave, and it's right at the edge of a human's ability to hear. In this range, the only thing in music is upper level harmonics in cymbals. There was a test done where they rolled off everything above 10kHz and people compared it to full frequency response samples. Although people could hear a difference in direct comparison, they had no preference between them when it came to sound quality.

Well I'll have to do some testing with it myself a bit later, pretty easy with audacity. I know <100kbps MP3's sound muffled and I thought this was a result of them shaving these frequencies off but it could be that in combination to it cutting out some quieter sounds.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 143
Quote:

There's a big difference between "roll off" (how much? dB / decade?) and "cut off".

Anybody have spectral plots of instruments playing?  I'd imagine some more noise-like percussive sounds should extend far above 20 kHz, maybe with non-trivial energy, not that the extension is really of interest for listening to it.  For synthesized sounds, no reason it should stop at any particular frequency.

Unless some tonal instrument has really strong 6+ order harmonics, it's not really going to extend much past 20 kHz.  I mean, top key of piano and high-register piccolo squealing range is around 4 kHz fundamental, so 5th harmonic at 20 kHz.

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 143
It was cut off

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 143
Quote:
I'm betting you're using a very basic equalizer with a whole lot of spill overlapping bands.

hmm do you consider 250 band with -60db ~ +20db a basic eq?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back