What's the fastest headphones?
Apr 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

AndrewG

CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Aka: Boxboxbox
I need the headphones that specialize in speed, ones that can keep up with the fastest music, but make that hit the 'spot'.. smooth, euphoric, light speed. basically one that, if you are listening to slow music on it, you will feel annoyed because the headphone driver is telling you 'this is too easy for me, put on something fast' ... can someone point me to a product that fits the bill?

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 44
The Sony MDR-SA5000's are rated up to 100,000hz.
biggrin.gif

To be honest, I don't think that really means anything, but plenty of people have described them as being very, very quick, and very much like an electrostat headphone.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 44
Yeah and they're like 25 dB down at 20khz...imagine what it does at 100k. 

The SA5000 are "quick" (in terms of having fast decay, which can be measured), but they do not sound like a 'stat. I buy the argument that they're "stat-like" about as much as I buy that they're "cold" and that they require a $4000 amplifier to work - the mythos around them is ridiculous (some headphones just seem to attract this kind of attention). They're really about on-par with the K701 in terms of overall quickness (tighter down low though). Very good, but not a 'stat. 
Quote:
The Sony MDR-SA5000's are rated up to 100,000hz.
biggrin.gif

To be honest, I don't think that really means anything, but plenty of people have described them as being very, very quick, and very much like an electrostat headphone.

ESPs require different kinds of amplifiers, yes. The two most likely candidates for "quick" dynamics that you'll get are the Sony SA5000 and Audio-Technica AD2000. The Sony are discontinued, the AT's are JDM and expensive.

I'd vote for the Koss ESP/950 myself. STAX has already been mentioned too. If you can't afford any of that, the K701 is where I'd look next. FWIW, the ESP/950 are about the same price as the AD2000, come with a better warranty, and (perhaps most importantly) are available on Amazon.

Quote:
electrostatic need its own amp, right? are there any dynamic ones that can achieve this quality?

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 44
When I heard the K701s, they had a creamy sound which made my W5000s sound much quicker and cleaner

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 44

Quote:
Be design, the Planar Magnetics are really fast headphones, but by sound signature I can see a couple dynamics sounding faster than them.

HD800 was a pretty fast headphone when I auditioned it as well.

Speaking of planar magnetics, are ye aware of any Magnepan® headsets in relatively common use - this company is famous for the Magneplanar® series floorstanding speakers often used for auditioning new music material at the AVGuide.com/NextScreen magazine the abso!ute sound® - and what prices would they fetch by model?

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 44

Quote:

Speaking of planar magnetics, are ye aware of any Magnepan® headsets in relatively common use - this company is famous for the Magneplanar® series floorstanding speakers often used for auditioning new music material at the AVGuide.com/NextScreen magazine the abso!ute sound® - and what prices would they fetch by model?

No, though considering the quality of their speakers I think it would be cool for them to venture into making headphones.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #13 of 44

Quote:
I need the headphones that specialize in speed, ones that can keep up with the fastest music, but make that hit the 'spot'.. smooth, euphoric, light speed. basically one that, if you are listening to slow music on it, you will feel annoyed because the headphone driver is telling you 'this is too easy for me, put on something fast' ... can someone point me to a product that fits the bill?

I don't know what the fastest headphone is,
but to me the headphones that sound the fastest
are made by Grado Labs.

Take a listen to their 325is's for example; I'd be interested in your thoughts about them.

Edit: formatting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back