Whats the difference between the ATH AD500/700X and the ADG1X
Sep 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SpitLashes

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I have recently been looking to buy a new gaming headset. For me, the most important things were good sound quality, open backs, great comfort that will allow me to keep them on for about 8 hours without any pain, and a good microphone. Generally, the ADG1X ticks all the boxes, and the fact that you only have one cable is a great bonus. But it is very expensive, and no one seems to recommend any headphones that are marketed towards gamers.
Therefore I was thinking about buying one of the slightly cheaper open back headphones from audio technica like the AD500X or the AD700X and attach a modmic to it.

But how do they compare? Does the ADG1X actually have a better sound quality and/or is better suited for games, or will it be more comfortable than the other two? Or will the sound quality be better on the AD500/700Xs?
I am no audiophile and I have no idea what the difference between the headphones is; I am just looking for a great pair of headphones only for gaming, that are better than headsets from turtle beach or logitech.

Another question would be whether you guys think that great gaming audio is worth £250, or whether I am wasting my money.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 8
Audio technica sells their products in different tiers with two types

the number is the driver
and the D means it is an open headphone
(people can hear what you are listening to)

so AD500X is open
A500X is a closed 

700 should have a better driver and 900 should have an even better driver
(these two are actually very similar just made with newer material)

the ADG1 is a gamer's headset and has a built on mic
as to which driver it uses, I am not sure
I have not used a set but there plenty of reviews on youtube for you to watch
the build quality looks great but may be overpriced but it should sound great

there are very few great headsets for 100$
but that honestly is not alot of money for what you are getting, so there are plenty of acceptable headsets
if you dont have a PC and just want to play xbox I dont think you need these if they are at the maximum price of your budget
if you want to listen to music on your computer and play video games these should be great 

keep in mind these are A"D"G1 which means everyone can hear the games you are playing 
they should have an AG1 available maybe

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 8
Audio technica sells their products in different tiers with two types

the number is the driver
and the D means it is an open headphone
(people can hear what you are listening to)

so AD500X is open
A500X is a closed 

700 should have a better driver and 900 should have an even better driver
(these two are actually very similar just made with newer material)

the ADG1 is a gamer's headset and has a built on mic
as to which driver it uses, I am not sure
I have not used a set but there plenty of reviews on youtube for you to watch
the build quality looks great but may be overpriced but it should sound great

there are very few great headsets for 100$
but that honestly is not alot of money for what you are getting, so there are plenty of acceptable headsets
if you dont have a PC and just want to play xbox I dont think you need these if they are at the maximum price of your budget
if you want to listen to music on your computer and play video games these should be great 

keep in mind these are A"D"G1 which means everyone can hear the games you are playing 
they should have an AG1 available maybe

I appreciate your answer, but this information is what I already knew. I specifically wanted open back headphones, but I wasn't sure whether the ADG1Xs or the AD700xs would deliver better sound quality in terms of gaming. I do like the fact that you don't need a separate cable for a mic on the ADG1Xs, but because so many people say that "Gaming Headsets are **** and only a marketing term", I was unsure whether the AD700Xs wouldn't deliver a better sound performance.

I am deciding between the two and would just like to know which of them delivers a better sound experience, and whether the ADG1Xs are actually better for gaming than the AD700Xs

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 8
It depends on what you define as better. The ad700x is considered legendary for competitive gaming (according to Mad Lust Envy's gaming headphone buying guide) but that is for competitive fps games where location accuracy is most important. If you are looking for something more for immersion and single player gaming you'd have to check the guide.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 8
I have recently been looking to buy a new gaming headset. For me, the most important things were good sound quality, open backs, great comfort that will allow me to keep them on for about 8 hours without any pain, and a good microphone. Generally, the ADG1X ticks all the boxes, and the fact that you only have one cable is a great bonus. But it is very expensive, and no one seems to recommend any headphones that are marketed towards gamers.
Therefore I was thinking about buying one of the slightly cheaper open back headphones from audio technica like the AD500X or the AD700X and attach a modmic to it.
But how do they compare? Does the ADG1X actually have a better sound quality and/or is better suited for games, or will it be more comfortable than the other two? Or will the sound quality be better on the AD500/700Xs?
I am no audiophile and I have no idea what the difference between the headphones is; I am just looking for a great pair of headphones only for gaming, that are better than headsets from turtle beach or logitech.
Another question would be whether you guys think that great gaming audio is worth £250, or whether I am wasting my money.

I'm of the opinion that Audio Technica takes their AD700X and AD900X headphones and adds a mic to them and relabels them gaming headsets.
And then charges a lot of money for them.

I suggest you just get the AD700X and buy an add-on mic.

Sennheiser HD558 makes a fairly good FPS gaming headphone.
Buy the HD558 used and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, makes them more open.

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 8
if you have never heard the AD700X before why would you ask a silly question like would it improve the sound of your gaming?
you have heard neither headphone before, so compared to what?
I do own the A700X and they are great headphones and I used them for gaming in the past.
but they are old and not even manufactured anymore. 
if you can get them cheap, sure buy some under 100$

however, as I mentioned before, the ADG1 has a built in mic
this is a very good mic with the mute button on the inside and with a single cord and comes with a USB adapter
you can add a mic yourself, but having a bunch of wires hanging around while gaming does get tedious 
you need to understand what your priorities are
most online video games dont have amazing pumping music by dr. dre playing all the time, you play online games to talk to people, right? 

if you are "just going to use them for gaming" you are not looking for headphones, you need a good headset
and if you feel these are already too expenisve for you, then they are exactly that, too expensive
you won't get some amazing upgrade over something that costs less than 200$, so look at some other brands or do the separate mic thing
since you are in europe I cant recommend you any specific brand though, sorry 

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 8
I have bought yday ADG1X after ive tested lots of headsets on my local audio store. https://www.avstore.ro/

Ive tested over 10 products including Sennheiser 700/800. I was looking for a product to boost positional audio( steps/breath were my main concern. Ya i want to hear if some1 is breathing and moving and in which direction :))))). This model ADG1x stood out from the crowd from this pov. They lack also the bass that other headsets have. I pair this headset with Nano ifi dac. I have tested Sennheiser Game Zero, ATH 700x, 900x, adg1, adg1x and Sennheiser 700/800.

ADG1x was the winner. 

I hope this helps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back