What's the big deal with MD decks
Dec 29, 2001 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Azumandus

Head-Fier
In one my post I asked what pcdp has optical out. One the responses I got is "what's with everyone wanting optical out cd players, why not get a md deck". I don't mind this view. He goes own to explain that it'll be cheaper and that recorded material on the md deck would sound better because of type R-atrac.
Well here's my problem with that. Say I get a MD deck and record all this music in type R-atarc. Well I listen to most of my music on the road persay.. I have a mz-r700. Now when I put the mini disk that has been recorded on the deck with type-R atrac wouldn't the recorded just play it in type 4.0 since it can't recognize type-R recording?
A portable cd with optical out can run no more than 80's a good decent deck will cost me 200+ not including some form of speaker system since I don't have one really. Beside I use my MD player mostly to steal music from my school amazing music library
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2001 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Say I get a MD deck and record all this music in type R-atarc. Well I listen to most of my music on the road persay.. I have a mz-r700. Now when I put the mini disk that has been recorded on the deck with type-R atrac wouldn't the recorded just play it in type 4.0 since it can't recognize type-R recording?

Nope; ATRAC is backwards-compatible. Your MZ-R700 will playback Type-R encoding just as well as a brand-new MZ-R909.

Dec 29, 2001 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Say I get a MD deck and record all this music in type R-atarc. Well I listen to most of my music on the road persay.. I have a mz-r700. Now when I put the mini disk that has been recorded on the deck with type-R atrac wouldn't the recorded just play it in type 4.0 since it can't recognize type-R recording?

Not quite. The encoder is the most important factor that determines the sound quality, as is explained in this FAQ.
http://www.minidisc.org/minidisc_faq.html#_q23
Basically, if you record it using a newer version of ATRAC, it will sound better even on an older unit that uses an older version of ATRAC.
Also, the A/D and D/A convertors used in decks are usually of better quality of those found in portables, so that will make a difference when recording through an analog cable.
You also have to consider the the ease of use of decks vs portables. Titling is FAR easier with a deck, even if it doesn't have keyboard input (my deck doesn't) because you can title using the remote. Editing is easier and more precise, i.e. you can divide tracks with more accuracy because you can adjust trackmarks by 1/60s of a second. I just got my deck for Christmas, and I love it.
The differences between ATRAC 4.5 and Type R are quite subtle, though.

Dec 29, 2001 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Oh, and the MZ-R700 has ATRAC Version 4.5, not 4.0.

Dec 29, 2001 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 5
ah it was my fault then I wen to one of those md forums and they told me decks don't make that huge of a difference and that the md play the mini disk using it's encorder instea of the type R..wel thanks guy's.. any general suggestion for a good one that has mdlp but won't cost me an arm and a leg...Like I could get a sony D-je725 for 80 bucks which has optical out. I thought recordig optically would take away many steps in th conversion. So recording from a MD deck is still better than say recording from a PS2????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back