Whats the best way too keep the Shures SE cables healthy?
Dec 18, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 8
I dont work out, but am pretty rough on my 530s most of the time. (wrap wire around fingers when folding etc) and they are perfectly fine. As long as you never pull too tight...or I dont know...use them to bring in cattle they should be fine.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as you don't use them rough they should be fine. I don't know why people have cable breakage. Probably when they workout they tend to..

Absolutely wrong.

I've taken wonderful care of my E500's -- never using them when I had any chance of sweating in the least bit (only used while sitting on the train to/from work and sitting at a desk at work or at home), and always put them gently into a soft case when transported, yet the cable still cracked after about 3 months of use.

People have cable breakage because their cables just plain suck. I haven't had a problem with my Etymotic ER-4P cable, or any other cable for that matter. My E2c's had the same problem -- I went through 3 pairs of those in one year, again treating them like gold and with kid gloves. When I upgraded to the E500's I expected the cable to last, but I was sorely mistaken.

If the E500's didn't sound so damn good, they'd be gone in a heartbeat. But as long as Shure keeps replacing their defective products I'll be keeping them. The sound is absolutely worth the hassle IMO.

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Judging by the hundreds of posts I've read here, I'd say Shure's cable prob is inherent. Look to me as if moisture seeps in and the cooper reacts badly and it break out from within, like ALIEN!
frown.gif
Of course a few posts say they are fine, still the exception though.

The onsite Shure rep pretty much admit it there is a prob, so replacement should not be a prob.

However, top of me head, I'd say avoid moisture, sweat.

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 8
Could cable cracking be due to excessive heating and cooling? For example sharp changes of weather over a period of time possibly? Kind of worries me, but shure's excellent warranty should make up for it

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 8
Well cold makes things bridle(sp?) and if u twist sumthing in *really* cold whether u may crack it. Hot will dry out the cable's lubricants again making it stiff and ezier to crack.

But what ya gonna do? never leave the house? I realize this is one expensive phone, but hey can't enjoy it if yer babysitting it all the time right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back