What's the best way to import a lot of files into iTunes?
Jul 21, 2008 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

britishbane

500+ Head-Fier
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to import my iTunes library from my old computer onto my new without having to do lots of manual tagging or locating every file. Is there a method I can use so that I dont have to go in and import every album on its own?

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 7
Move the entire iTunes folder from the old computer to the new one. If you've already begun the process of moving some files, and you're sure everything you want is on the old computer, you should be able to safely replace the contents of the iTunes folder on the new computer.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 7
I've tried that before, but there are certain files, especially ones I've tagged myself that just get totally messed up. They get entered with song name only, no album listed, the order of the songs totally missing, etc. I guess I just have to do that and manually go through and re-organize.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 7
Interesting. Are you dealing with WAV or AIFF files? All of my music is in Apple Lossless format, so the metadata is permanently embedded in all of my files so I can move it to any computer without troubles.

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Some wav but mostly Apple Lossless. Seems like the stuff ripped from a CD directly to Apple Lossless is doing just fine in the transfer . The stuff I'm having trouble with are the things I've recorded in wav, imported, then converted to Apple Lossless. Do you think I'm having trouble because these files were named/organized by me pre conversion to Apple Lossless?

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Assuming you did the conversion of your WAV files to Apple Lossless with iTunes, and you can see all the metadata in the library of your old computer, I don't see why there would be a problem. If you don't have the option enabled on the old computer to keep your iTunes Music folder organized, I would certainly recommend enabling it. This will at least keep the structure and order of your files, and even file naming, manageable.

If you use playlists by any chance and/or have some way of identifying and isolating the tracks that began their life as WAV files, you should be able to contain the problem while you continue to debug the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back